Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work this morning and had an idea:
What if you bolted a hard top to the trunk lid and left it there all winter. To access the trunk you unbolted the top from the windshield and lifted both top and rear deck as a unit. If the stock hinges or mounting plates weren't strong enough, they could be reinforced. The pneumatic tubes would have to be replaced with stronger ones like those that lift heavy minivan hatches. If you ever had one drop on your head, you know they weigh a lot. I realise the longer moment would put quite a load on the hinge area, but if it was done right and light, I don't think it would be more force than a minivan hatch with that huge, heavy rear window.

If you really wanted to go all the way, a small air compressor and air lifts would open the back area with a button. And the compressor would come in handy blowing up that flat tire.

Come springtime and you leave in place the reinforced hinge area and the stronger lift tubes and just unbolted the fiberglass or carbonfiber lid and bolted your cloth top back in.

Another idea:I know we've talked about ways to increase load capcity but I couldn't picture how to make it till I pictured replacing the rear deck with a taller and longer one that went from the back edge of the car all the way forward to the windshield header. Another way to say this is, instead of having the trunk end at the seat backs, have it end at the windshield. If GM won't make a coupe or Nomad, maybe I can!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure how many people would be interested in a hard top that opened when you wanted to access the trunk, but it does sound like a workable idea. The problem I see is that you would fill the cockpit with snow, ice, rain, etc all winter anytime you needed to get in the trunk. It sounds like it would be easier to just have the softtop and open the trunk seperately. I would assume the softtop will be insulated, and in my experience insulated convertable tops are plenty warm making little need for a hardtop except maybe to prevent extra wear on the softtop.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Why not hinge the hard top off the windshield frame? That way the hard top would open upwards high enough to get the trunk open without having to open the entire top off the cabin area. Then just slightly lift it back up to close the trunk again.
The problem is I'm not sure how much weight the windshield frame can hold up in that manner. If it was strong enough it could be done. Maybe if some small hydraulic arms were put in the back too that only allowed the roof to open as far as was needed to open the triunk those would have provide support to the hard top while up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thought about a hardtop myself. One idea would remove the trunk lid entirely giving the additional space and appearance of the coupe. But that is a somewhat bulky solution.

A more conventional hard top should be able to attach using attachment points similar to (or the same as) the convertable top. Since the body work must alllow allow enough space for the framework of the raised convertable top to pass through, the same route would be used for the hard top attachments.

Since we will have to see the actual body work to understand this fully, this is just one man's opinion.

Dean

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its really difficult to tell how one could be hooked up and allow access to thr trunk based only on the pics that we have at this point. There probably is a way to do it, but it would depend on how much structure is available to attach it to, and how much clearance is needed to swing the trunk up and out of the way. We need an actual Solstice to experiment with. Hey GM, want to send one our way for "testing"? :lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts