Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin' All!

A 'new guy' here...

I just stumbled across the Solstice for the first time by total chance while I was at Edmunds.com. Wow! I was really taken by how un-GM this car is, and how close-to-prototype GM was able to keep the production version Solstice. This goes against every other experience I've had where a car in its prototype form looked like a dream come true, yet when/if it was finally produced, the production version's appearance was nauseating. Case and point: Remember how cool the Chevy Avalanche prototype looked? Yeah, exactly. Anyway, nice work on this one, GM.

For those of you who've already plopped down your hard-earned money, I'm curious....

...what convinced you to lay-down a large sum of cash on a car most of you have never even seen in person, much less driven? What happens if you don't like it, or (lord forbid) it sucks, has reliability issues, etc?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of getting "driving excitement" from a domestic car, but most people I know are always leary of 1st Model Year vehicles...this just seems like such a high-risk opportunity, especially in that it's a GM car we're talking about here (no offense to anyone here).

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated.

TIA,
Tim G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
I bought a first year Fiero in 84 after seeing it in a magazine; I never had a problem with it. Had it 10 years. Besides if the Solstice has problems it has 3 year warranty. Also order can be cancelled after you test drive it at delivery- with full refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
TimGinCentralNJ said:
Mornin' All!

A 'new guy' here...

I just stumbled across the Solstice for the first time by total chance while I was at Edmunds.com. Wow! I was really taken by how un-GM this car is, and how close-to-prototype GM was able to keep the production version Solstice. This goes against every other experience I've had where a car in its prototype form looked like a dream come true, yet when/if it was finally produced, the production version's appearance was nauseating. Case and point: Remember how cool the Chevy Avalanche prototype looked? Yeah, exactly. Anyway, nice work on this one, GM.

For those of you who've already plopped down your hard-earned money, I'm curious....

...what convinced you to lay-down a large sum of cash on a car most of you have never even seen in person, much less driven? What happens if you don't like it, or (lord forbid) it sucks, has reliability issues, etc?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of getting "driving excitement" from a domestic car, but most people I know are always leary of 1st Model Year vehicles...this just seems like such a high-risk opportunity, especially in that it's a GM car we're talking about here (no offense to anyone here).

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated.

TIA,
Tim G.
Fully refundable deposit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
We saw it "in person" at an auto show (and fell in love with it).
If for some reason I don't like it after driving it for a while...
I don't think I'll have ANY problem selling it ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Exactly there is a 3 year warranty and there still is the lemon law factor. If a first production car is really bad your covered 2 different ways. If somereason you get screwed outta both used sales shouldnt be to hard if the first 20k sell out as expected. Within a large city like tampa there are only 5 dealerships within reasonable driving ability if all 5 get a big allocation of 14-15 your only talking 75 cars running around. I for one will be surprised to see another one on the road besides me in my local area. The numbers just arent there.

Now take a car people barely get to see "rarity factor" and the odds of selling quick are defintly there.

For me though, the car must be very bad or they are gonna have to pry the keys to the car outta my cold dead hands
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
TimGinCentralNJ said:
...what convinced you to lay-down a large sum of cash on a car most of you have never even seen in person, much less driven? What happens if you don't like it, or (lord forbid) it sucks, has reliability issues, etc?
That's the part that is interesting to me given the large numbers of people who did this (5000 in total). I always figured the diehards would be there but the average Joe would hold off. 5000 people proved me wrong.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
That's the part that is interesting to me given the large numbers of people who did this (5000 in total). I always figured the diehards would be there but the average Joe would hold off. 5000 people proved me wrong.
That was also just the number from the first day. Dealers can keep entering people for what was it, 10 days? Plus that doesn't count the unknown number of people who decided to not get one when they found out they couldn't get one of the Apprentice 1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
brentil said:
That was also just the number from the first day. Dealers can keep entering people for what was it, 10 days? Plus that doesn't count the unknown number of people who decided to not get one when they found out they couldn't get one of the Apprentice 1000.
Also, don't forget there are a lot of us that have followed this car for years, but are waiting to buy. I've got a wedding to pay for this fall, so I'm waiting until winter/spring to buy. Hopefully, price gouging and initial "buzz" will have died down, and it will be easier to find/purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Confidence in the design & manufacturing process

While it is perhaps foolhardy, I trust the designers and GM's manufacturing process. I saw the car in 3-D up on a platform at the LA Auto Show, and it looked better in person than even in the pictures. Actually, I liked the pre-prod vehicle and the styling better than the original styling. Specifically, the hood line looked more low slung, instead of a long smooth rising curve of the 2002 concept, but the changes were minor from the concept, and the concept was wonderful!

I was watching AutoLine Detroit, and one of the guests said that American automakers' best products are concept cars, but they don't build them as regular cars.... WOW! I had always had that very complaint!.... Until recently, concepts and production vehicles tended not to look at all alike. Solstice is one that does; that gets high praise in my book!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
For me though, the car must be very bad or they are gonna have to pry the keys to the car outta my cold dead hands[/QUOTE]


Bill, forgive me for the correction, but strictly speaking,

dont you mean they'll have to pry the "cold dead you" out of the car to separate you from it? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Solstick said:
Billabongi said:
For me though, the car must be very bad or they are gonna have to pry the keys to the car outta my cold dead hands

Bill, forgive me for the correction, but strictly speaking,

dont you mean they'll have to pry the "cold dead you" out of the car to separate you from it? :lol:
Well, I would imagine that it might be possible to be burried in it, much as the vikings did for their kings... Wait, didn't they set the ships ablaze and send them sailing out across the North Sea... Maybe that's not such a good idea after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crimson Agenger....I appreciate the 'warm welcome' and...

Crimson Avenger said:
Welcome to the SolsticeForum. I'm sure you'll find the folks here as friendly and helpful as I did.

Again, welcome! :thumbs:
...and you're correct--everyone's responses and comments here have been very helpful and informative. Sure seems like a helluva' nice bunch of enthusiasts to me!

As for me, I've been an old bmw enthusiast for many years, but I recently got married and had to sell my last one. :cryin: Having met many genuinely nice folks as a result of those cars, I have to say, at first glance, this board sure is giving me a familiar feeling about its contributors.

So, does it 'behoove' me to go to my local Pontiac dealer and try to get my name on "the big list" for a car, or am I better or waiting 'till Fall/Winter and just taking my chances?

Cheers,
Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
The way it's going now, if you don't get your name on a list you wont even be able to get a car for the Fall/Winter time frame. My dealerhsip is a good sized one that had 15 cars allocated for the first 4 months and 1 EOP. Last I checked they had 45+ orders. So unless they're getting a lot more then 30 cars in the following 4 months allotment that means no one is getting a car at that dealership for at least 8 months once cars finally start arriving unless they've already placed an order.

I suggest going in and telling a dealer when you want a car so they can make sure you car is in that time frames allotments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
To buy or not to buy; that is the question. Whether it is....

TimGinCentralNJ said:
So, does it 'behoove' me to go to my local Pontiac dealer and try to get my name on "the big list" for a car, or am I better or waiting 'till Fall/Winter and just taking my chances?
Well, if early results as posted by Conejo148 [http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31907#post31907] are any indication, if you want one, it would be good to start calling dealers and asking them how many they have for their first regular 4 month allocation and how many of those are left that are not promised to existing customers.

This will vary wildly by dealer, and it should be possible to find a dealer with one available. A fellow out in the California Bay Area made some calls and came up ducks! That dealer even had 2 left after him.... So don't give up hope.

Then ask the critical question about whether or not you can get MSRP. If they say yes, then take something like the following form that I posted in another thread with you: Get your MSRP agreement in writing!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top