Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now that I've had the waterpump replaced, I have a MAJOR oil leak coming from the access panel to access the sprocket.....and so another trip to the dealership.... :cuss:

·
Registered
245 Posts
This trip should be on their dime. (If you can prove beyond all doubts in this space-time continuum that it is their fault.):willy:
Good luck anyway:lol:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My WP was warranty.... :cool:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm begining to think this car might be a reincarnation of my Fiero....in the shop every 2 weeks!!!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a good one for you all!!! I took my car in for this "light oil leak" this morning. I have oil all over the front of the motor, down the timing chain cover, all over the cross beam and all underneath the engine. It has not dripped on the driveway. It looked like it was coming from the WP access cover or just below it. The dealer calls me and says that it's the seal on my oil filter..... :willy: WHAT?!?!?!? How does oil from the back of the motor get all over the front?!?!?!?! So....I will pick up my car and see if they were "correct"... LOL... Could it possibly be the oil pressure relief vavle leaking?!?! :brentil:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got a good one for you all!!! I took my car in for this "light oil leak" this morning. I have oil all over the front of the motor, down the timing chain cover, all over the cross beam and all underneath the engine. It has not dripped on the driveway. It looked like it was coming from the WP access cover or just below it. The dealer calls me and says that it's the seal on my oil filter..... :willy: WHAT?!?!?!? How does oil from the back of the motor get all over the front?!?!?!?! So....I will pick up my car and see if they were "correct"... LOL... Could it possibly be the oil pressure relief vavle leaking?!?! :brentil:
That's a new one on me. Maybe you were driving really fast in reverse and didn't know it.:lol:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Alright, the problem child Red Sky will chime in:

A: Going to have to call BS on the Oil Filter Seal. Since as how our oil filters are cartridge style and on the back of the engine. We have seen the plastic cap seal go bad on a few cars, but if memory serves they always leaked all over the back of the engine; like one would expect.

B: The symptoms you are describing sound very similar to one of my many failures. A year or two after I started running the GMPP tune, I had an "oil leak" at the front of the engine that resulted in oil "mist" all over the front of the engine just like you described. It really never dripped very much, if any. Turned out to be the front main engine seal. Which on our cars, is very easy to change. The only time consuming part is disassemble of the front main pulley and serpentine belt, to gain access. Once that stuff is out of the way, there is cap that comes off the front main, and the seal is just a fricken rubber seal they switch out. Once fixed, the problem never came back. My theory is that the OEM seals may be right on the edge of tolerance, and the increased boost creates a little more crank case pressure (yes the venting system should keep it pressure neutral); so sometimes they fail.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looking forward to an update. Remember I am here to look into anything further if you need my assistance.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
848 Posts
Alright, the problem child Red Sky will chime in:

A: Going to have to call BS on the Oil Filter Seal. Since as how our oil filters are cartridge style and on the back of the engine. We have seen the plastic cap seal go bad on a few cars, but if memory serves they always leaked all over the back of the engine; like one would expect.

B: The symptoms you are describing sound very similar to one of my many failures. A year or two after I started running the GMPP tune, I had an "oil leak" at the front of the engine that resulted in oil "mist" all over the front of the engine just like you described. It really never dripped very much, if any. Turned out to be the front main engine seal. Which on our cars, is very easy to change. The only time consuming part is disassemble of the front main pulley and serpentine belt, to gain access. Once that stuff is out of the way, there is cap that comes off the front main, and the seal is just a fricken rubber seal they switch out. Once fixed, the problem never came back. My theory is that the OEM seals may be right on the edge of tolerance, and the increased boost creates a little more crank case pressure (yes the venting system should keep it pressure neutral); so sometimes they fail.
Possibly. Another twist on your theory is mileage. Don't know how many miles you have on your sky, but as engines age if the seals are suspect (plus your added boost).......Certain motors are notorious for engine oil leaks, I know Bronco's usually always develop a rear main leak with age. Perhaps with your new seal they use a slightly better design or seal, problem solved. If it's the same darn seal, it could also mean that with enough miles, they leak will develop again...:willy::brentil:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well, to many variables in the equation to answer the mileage question. :lol:

The failed front seal was on my first engine; if memory serves somewhere around 15,000 miles. (I had the GMPP tune installed at about 1,000-2,000 miles). After the seal was changed, never had another issue with that particular problem. That engine failed at about 37,000 miles (micro-fracture in the block between the oil return path and the water jacket-result was coolant in the oil. :lol:)

I now have 61,400 miles on the car (so just over 24,000 on the 2nd engine) and I have not experienced the front main seal failure on this engine.

My guess is that they had a design improvement on the front main seal at some point.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Do you know what air turbulence is like under the motor? Because I don't
No, I am not an Aerodynamics Engineer. But at a certain point common sense tends to kick in. Now maybe, just maybe there is a bizarre forward air velocity that circulates off the firewall and forward to the front of the engine. But if that was the case, one would think that would be rather counterproductive to how the coolant system works and how the IC works. Not to mention the entire underneath of the engine would have to be soaked, or else the oil would have had to magically float forward to the front of the engine without depositing any residue along the way. To me, this sounds like the spitter from the gravely road :lol::

And historically on the forum, we have seen a few incidents of failed oil filter canister seals and/or improperly installed caps on the filter canister: All of which resulted in the back of the engine getting drenched in oil, with no mention of the oil making it's way to the front.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to worry about air flow or reverse airflow....

It's still leaking. The bottom of my motor is soaked again. The oil pressure relief valve is all internal correct? It's basically an internal tube with the valve, correct? Because it is rather wet around that area. But it looks as if its coming out of the WP access cover.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have an oil leak at all....that's why it's still leaking! I was doing some "spirited" driving tonight messing with a brand new Challenger SRT8... He wasn't very fast...but that's another story. You can see in the first pic where they cleaned the oil off the crossmember this last Monday, now it's wet again....

This one you can see where the oil is running down the "oil pressure relief sleeve" from the WP access cover. The pic really doesn't show it all that well, but there was actually a drip of oil pooled on the bottom bolt. I'm now wondering if he didn't strip out that bolt and they are hoping I don't have enough of a leak to bring it in until after my warranty is done. :cuss:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well....when I took it in for them to fix and they told me it was the seal on the oil filter, I knew they didn't look. I checked my oil yesterday and it was 2 1/2 quarts overfull!!!! Nice job guys! There response was, I don't know how it got that full..... Right, just like you can't see the trail of oil running down the front of the motor!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well....when I took it in for them to fix and they told me it was the seal on the oil filter, I knew they didn't look. I checked my oil yesterday and it was 2 1/2 quarts overfull!!!! Nice job guys! There response was, I don't know how it got that full..... Right, just like you can't see the trail of oil running down the front of the motor!
Nice, exactly why I'm afraid to have to go to a dealer. Self-created oil leak from overfilling (by them). Now if you can actually get your motor all cleaned up you'll have to see if the leak stops.

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Nice, exactly why I'm afraid to have to go to a dealer. Self-created oil leak from overfilling (by them). Now if you can actually get your motor all cleaned up you'll have to see if the leak stops.
Which is why we have our own experienced Kappa technician who knows how to maintain our cars correctly.:thumbs:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Which is why we have our own experienced Kappa technician who knows how to maintain our cars correctly.:thumbs:
Excellent, but will he do house calls? :leaving::lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts