1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Announcement: First West Coast Solstice Meeting: San Simeon Nov 4/6

Final head count registration thread posted:
Link to [Schedule & Attendance Poll: West Coast Solstice Meet]

The tentative schedule (should be really close) and the exact dining venues have been posted.

We also ask you to vote in the multiple choice poll for all of the events you plan to attend and post to the thread with your number of guests. We need this head count to adjust our restaurant reservations.

You can also post commentary on the other poll. All are welcome, Solstice or not. You'll get a chance to see many of them, and learn just how friendly the owners really are.

See you there!

Original announcement follows:

Crimson Avenger said:
The First West Coast Solstice Club meeting location and date are set.
The results were very close in the end between Monterey and San Simeon....drum roll please.....​
The Venue is:
  • 2005-11-04/2005-11-06
  • San Simeon
  • Courtsey Inn: [http://www.courtesyinns.com/]
  • 800-555-5773
  • Room pricing:
    • both Friday and Saturday nights [Nov 4 to Nov 6]
      • $59.95 + 5.40 tax = $65.35 / night (total $130.70)
    • Saturday Night only [Nov 5 to Nov 6]
      • $59.95 + 5.40 tax = $65.35 / night (total $65.35)
Booking Your Room
  • They will start accepting room assignments today.
  • UPDATE 2005-10-07: The Courtsey Inn has additional availibility, so it's now first come first served, and we can take more folks on Friday night.
  • When you book, tell them your with the "Solstice Club of America" (our interim name) to get the group discount rate.
  • Give them your credit card to reserve your room.
  • Once you get your reservation number, vote in the Poll above.
  • Deadline for group rate discount is October 20.

Room Choice and Availability
  • Please, only book the rooms with 2 beds if you need them. The desk will be flexible with us on that, but if you can get away with just a single king, please book one of those rooms. We figure there will be some folks who are bringing their buddies instead of their significant others.
  • Once we run out of our block of rooms, you may still be able to get a room at our negotiated rate, but that will be subject to availability, so book sooner rather than later.
  • Our availability for Friday night is fairly limited. They don't have a lot of flexibility to go much above the 7 we have reserved, so if you want Friday night as well, don't delay! ;)
  • Saturday, there is currently some additional capacity, but again, book sooner rather than later.
Note, this thread also has a poll, so once you've called and reserved your room, vote in the poll. :patriot:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Activities Schedule (Tentative)

San Simeon
Venue: Courtesy Inn
Features: Meeting Room, Indoor Pool, Spa

Location: 4.5 hours, 250 Miles from Los Angeles, 40 miles North of San Luis Obispo, 120 Miles South of Monterey​

Activities:
  1. Optional Friday night: stay over
  2. Optional Saturday morning: Coast Hwy North to Big Sur (optional with Friday night stay)
  3. Optional Saturday lunch: at Big Sur River Inn (optional with Friday night stay)
  4. Saturday dinner: Local Steak House, or Restaurant (search underway)
  5. Saturday evening: Club Founding Organizational Meeting
  6. Sunday Morning: Coast Hwy South to Morro Bay, Glass bottom boat tour of Morro Bay
  7. Sunday Lunch: Morro Bay
Notes:
  • All activities and meetings are open to all parties (Solstice owners or not ;))
  • All activities are optional
  • costs of Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner, Sunday lunch, and glass bottom boat tour are NOT included in room cost

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Venue Selection Explanation (How we decided which one to pick)

San Simeon won by default, because the Colton Inn in Monterey was not available. Two other groups bough up all of their rooms, leaving only 5 in the Inn.

While we did find another venue in downtown Monterey, the price was higher at $109, and some of the 17 rooms for Saturday would have been higher still because of limited availability of the less expensive rooms. Since the price of the rooms was part of the survey that we conducted, we wanted to stick with a venue that matched the published price.

The numbers between the venues got a lot closer than the Survey showed, and the number of "cannot attend" persons for San Simeon dropped quite a bit.

This happened while working by PM and posts, and was (as I suspected) largely due to some folks who didn't realize that the survey was a "vote for as many as you CAN attend". We actually got the number of "cannot" for San Simeon down to about 8, and the number of "I CAN attend" votes up to about 15. So, the numbers were VERY close:

Monterey can = 17
San Simeon can = 15

Monterey cannot = 6
San Simeon cannot = 8​
For folks who were looking forward to Monterey, don't worry, we'll do that venue again very soon. And if we decide on a weekend soon enough, there's a very large number of rooms available at the Colton (up to about 50), so we won't have to turn anyone away. ;)

To our Northern friends, do not despair. Given that this venue wound up so far south, we'll probably have one of our next meetings much further North, maybe lower Oregon coast or right at the border between California and Oregon (that's still north of center ;))

For those that found the Central coast too far, there will be gatherings further south and inland as well.

I'll start a thread discussing more venues shortly, but in this thread, let's concentrate on this first meeting.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Dibs on Shotgun

I am looking forward to the 1st Solstice Club Founders meeting.
I am also looking forward to driving up the coast to Big Sur for lunch.
What I am NOT looking forward to is looking out the windshield of my Subaru Outback at a line of New Solstices going up Hwy 1.
My new COOL (every option) polished wheels, black interior, will not be arriving until mid to late November.
If anyone is driving solo, I would truly appreciate the opportunity to catch a ride with you to Big Sur.
I know this is asking a lot. I promise to take a bath that week and knock the mud off my shoes before getting in.
No, really, I am well behaved and I can carry a conversation with a 5th grader just fine. I will not change the XM station or CD selection. If I have to fart, I promise to hold it until we get to Big Sur. I will even pay for gas, (I will pay for holding it that long).

Give it some thought and let me know.

Sal Orlando
Sitting Duck
(Quack) :blueangel

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
orlando said:
I am looking forward to the 1st Solstice Club Founders meeting.
I am also looking forward to driving up the coast to Big Sur for lunch.
What I am NOT looking forward to is looking out the windshield of my Subaru Outback at a line of New Solstices going up Hwy 1.
My new COOL (every option) polished wheels, black interior, will not be arriving until mid to late November.
If anyone is driving solo, I would truly appreciate to opportunity to catch a ride with you to Big Sur.
I know this is asking a lot. I promise to take a bath that week and knock the mud off my shoes before getting in.
No, really, I am well behaved and I can carry a conversation with any 5th grader just fine. I will not change the XM station or CD selection. If I have to fart, I promise to hold it until we get to Big Sur. I will even pay for gas, (I will pay for holding it that long).

Give it some thought and let me know.

Sal Orlando
Sitting Duck
(Quack) :blueangel
I'd volunteer to take you, but my wife will almost certainly be in the right seat. If she decides not to go, you can ride with me. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry Guys, won't be able to make it. I should be in Arizona on a business trip during that time period.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm still scheming on a way to meet you guys on my way back from LA. Wife says she's willing to try to pack so I can drive the Solstice to LA. Don't know if I'll make lunch in Morrow Bay though. Maybe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Solstice Day

I hope you all make this an annual event so that those of us whos Solstice hasn't made it home by November can plan on next year!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Next year?

Come anyway Bubble !
I will not have my car yet either. It should still be a fun event. A way to get to know each other. Swap ideas and form the club. I was planning on nominating you for President!
Sitting Duck :yesnod:

·
Registered
206 Posts
You could only do that if I wasn't there!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Date clarification

Chris Perris said:
what is the actual date for meeting. Time off will have to be aranged.
Well, that was in the thread starter post, but I'll re-post it here:
Crimson Avenger said:
The Venue is:
  • 2005-11-04/2005-11-06
  • San Simeon
  • Courtsey Inn: [http://www.courtesyinns.com/]
  • 800-555-5773
  • Room Block:
    • 7 Rooms for both Friday and Saturday nights [Nov 4 to Nov 6]
      • $59.95 + 5.40 tax = $65.35 / night (total $130.70)
      • 4 rooms with single king bed
      • 3 rooms with double queen beds
    • 7 additional Rooms for Saturday Night only [Nov 5 to Nov 6]
      • $59.95 + 5.40 tax = $65.35 / night (total $65.35)
      • 7 rooms double queen beds
That's the first weekend in November.

For additional details on the trip, see: [Link to: Activities Schedule (Tentative)]

For clarity, the club founding meeting is Saturday evening, after dinner.

Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think it would be great to see everyone, even if you do not have your car yet. I would expect that there will be many more events in the future and we will be able to rekindle the friendships we make now. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great chance for a test drive

SolLate said:
I think it would be great to see everyone, even if you do not have your car yet. I would expect that there will be many more events in the future and we will be able to rekindle the friendships we make now. :)
Exactly! :agree:

I'm willing to bet that those without their Solstices yet will get a chance to ride in one, or maybe even drive one.

Remember, this is the founding meeting, and while you may not have your car yet, you're as welcome as ever.

Hope to see many of you up there. :cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
well, im registering for saturday nite, i may change it to friday as well if work lets me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Well, that was in the thread starter post, but I'll re-post it here: That's the first weekend in November.

For additional details on the trip, see: [Link to: Activities Schedule (Tentative)]

For clarity, the club founding meeting is Saturday evening, after dinner.

Hope to see you there!
Any idea of how many are signed up yet?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SolLate said:
Any idea of how many are signed up yet?
Well, the number of rooms reserved was a direct reflection of the number who had previously indicated they could attend. The numbers will skew up from there, but I'm expecting between 15 and 20 folks at the meeting. (More if the significant others come to the actual meeting ;))

As to how many are signed up, the poll attached to this will reflect those numbers. When you get your reservation number from the Courtesy Inn, then vote in the Poll. (I see that you, SolLate, already have) :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Whoever wants the best room in the house... Ask for Room 241. That is the room that is always reserved for me on the shows I put together there. It is one of the end rooms with an extra room facing the ocean. It has a single King-sized bed in it...

The Courtesy Inn has been completely redone over the past couple of years with all new furniture, TVs, paint, etc. It is very nice and they are good folks to deal with.

Ya'll are still invited to come back the following weekend for the 3rd Annual California Coast Run. We have 25 rooms blocked for the weekend and we have a big charity raffle on Saturday night.

Would any of you guys be interested in me putting together some merchandise for the event? I made tons of stuff for the Coast Run and can put it up for order right on the same store site. I have found this much better than trying to order up a bunch of shirts and hope you sell them. Plus, this company ships your order out within two days of your order being placed and has a 30 day money back guarantee. You can look at the store by going to http://www.fiero-performance.com and clicking on the merchandise link.

Here are some examples of shirts for the Coast Run:

Let me know if I can help out. My wife and I may ride over there just to check out some of the cars!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Chance I might have my car

1100 8-19
1101 8-19
2000 8-22
2500 8-23
3000 8-23
3199 9-28
3300 9-28
3400 9-28 to 10-6
3800 10-5 Built vin 1G2MB33B56Y102578
Shipping ?????????????? Arriving ??????????????????????????????????
There is a chance I might have my car in time for the event. :party:

Speaking of EVENT, I hope we get more people to show up then have signed up.
No matter, it will still be a good time. Anyway to get the word out again. Maybe a post in the "General Discussion" forum where most people look. I know we are suppose to follow certain guidlines while using the forum but another plug for the event soon might be in order.
Any luck with a logo?
Songman who did the "Coast Run" for the Fiero club did a good job.
Sitting Duck

1 - 20 of 97 Posts