STAY TUNED!

And a Sneak Preview..........
NASSAM # 17
June 2022
Beckley, WV in the Appalachian Mountains

·
Registered
228 Posts
I really have no interest in attending these meets despite this one being so close, but can't think of a better location for one.

It wasn't long ago that the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore was voted as the most beautiful place in America, beating out places like Cape Cod, Grand Teton, and Aspen...

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Nice to see a group volunteer. Did I miss the discussion about this location?
I don't think there was a discussion. Certainly not a public one.

I find it amusing that three years ago no one was interested in hosting the next event, and it was essentially pronounced "dead". Now we have people co-opting dates three years out.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
This great!!!!! I was going to go to Mackinac Island this weekend but one of my dogs got sick. Therefore had to cancel. My dog is feeling better and now have this to look forward to. This close enough that I would bring both Sols. Me in the Coupe and wife in the mean machine.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
This great!!!!! I was going to go to Mackinac Island this weekend but one of my dogs got sick. Therefore had to cancel. My dog is feeling better and now have this to look forward to. This close enough that I would bring both Sols. Me in the Coupe and wife in the mean machine.
Hey Northern, Did you look close at the date?
2021.....two years from now.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hey Northern, Did you look close at the date?
2021.....two years from now.
Of course. I like to plan.:grin: By close enough I was referring to geographic proximity. I am in Windsor, south of Detroit.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I find it amusing that three years ago no one was interested in hosting the next event, and it was essentially pronounced "dead". Now we have people co-opting dates three years out.
Have been trying, publicly, for four years to bring it to Michigan. Tough to find a property that would take a group that doesn't golf. Have been consulting Druid, Diana, Chris, and Rick prior to committing.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
Again, I am glad that we have a group that is volunteering, but I have been getting a lot of comments to which I agree that if in fact the "national" is held in the east three years running then its no longer a national. Its the east coast regional.

People who cant drive a week to get there will find alternatives I am sure.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, I am glad that we have a group that is volunteering, but I have been getting a lot of comments to which I agree that if in fact the "national" is held in the east three years running then its no longer a national. Its the east coast regional.

People who cant drive a week to get there will find alternatives I am sure.
Last I checked, South Dakota is not in the East.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
Correct. I was referring to the WV after Michigan

I'm nit the decision authority obviously just sharing thoughts.

In the past we discussed and arrived at a level of consensus. I was surprised, and also happy to see people volunteering. That is an improvement over recent experience where finding a host was a challenge. I have not been to Michigan since I visited the tank arsenal many years ago. Sounds like a good choice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Something to keep in mind...with the exception of Lexington, some of us working 2015-2021 have worked on every event (oops, I think I just volunteered to be a run lead again). I think that core group wants to see things continue so we've volunteered a heck of a lot of time...and happy to have done so. :)

And thanks to the Michigan group for stepping up. Let us know how we can help James!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haha! It isn't in the East geographically, but I do believe that some in the group think of it as the far west. Anything that was part of the Louisianna Purchase falls into that category. :)

There was a comment that Indianaoplis would be a good central location...well it is central if you live anywhere from Denver to New York. Those of us surfin' in the Pacific do the math and last time I checked Indiana is 2000 miles from home. Okay, now I'm just bein' a pain in the neck.

Last I checked, South Dakota is not in the East.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
That's a great run on 119 as i used to run the hog up to the H.D. Dealership in Traverse City many moons ago from the the old KFC Air Force Base in Kincheloe Mich. I would always stop at Legs Inn for a Polish meal. Harbor Springs & Charleovix were always my fav.

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts

Discussions rarely decide a location because it seems that so many want the event "in their back yard", yet those who complain as to why cant it be _______(enter where they want it) are unwilling to do the planning.
This has been an ongoing problem since the first national meet in 2006 in Kansas City (almost the middle of the US).
As the originator of the first 2 national meets, I am glad to see many willing to step up to the challenge of organizing an event that takes several people many, many hours of thier own time and money to get it done.

There are always going to be those who want it held close to them, just as there will always be those who don't want to help organize or not even come.

Having a public discussion about location will never make the decision.....

Just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
.......Having a public discussion about location will never make the decision.....

Just my 2 cents
It may not make the decision, but it does contribute to the process.

As of the 2010 meet in Canton, no one had suggested a location for 2011. I offered Lexington after which a group stepped forward to organize Austin.
Up until a couple of months before the 2016 meet in the Ozarks no one had suggested a location for 2017. We started a discussion between Lexington and Colorado that resulted in 2017 being in Lexington.

I guess I was just a lot more comfortable in the days when a group or two would suggest a location two or so years out, and there may or may not have been a discussion about which location was better. maybe there was only one offer, but it was an offer and not a proclamation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I for one would have to agree that if you want one nearby, plan it. I've never been to one as we do more G8 and all Pontiac events with my car and my wife isn't into it as much as I am. I plan on retiring the end of next year and looks like Michigan will likely be our first. I've been to most of the places listed for the Michigan event and it definitely will be a wonderful location. Looking forward to it. Also, last time I checked Michigan was considered Midwest US.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Being an active member of the MKC group, I know there are a lot of great roads and sights in upper MI. Jim has taken on this challenge and organized a location and cruise routes. Unfortunately the location is still 300 miles from the active members of our club. We have over 200 members in our club but only about 25, that are active and mostly just participants. We will get volunteers and as required will put in time and expenses required to make Michigan a successful event. The majority of our club cruises are done in south east Michigan where almost all out members reside. Our south east roads are no where near the quality needed for a national meet. Northern MI roads are great and scenic. Looking forward to seeing you all there. For those questioning WV and the MKC club suggesting it. Last years, since Oregon was so far the Mkc group did a week long cruise in WV. We ended up with30 Kappas. The routes are all set, great cruising roads, and the hotel said they could Accomadate. Time will tell if this progresses.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts