Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
...in fact the "national" is held in the east three years running then its no longer a national. Its the east coast regional.
I for one would be happy to come back to CO in a few years. And what about a Winter Solstice meeting in the SW? TX hill country has awesome roads. So TX, NM, AZ or So CA have good weather on Dec 21.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I for one would be happy to come back to CO in a few years. And what about a Winter Solstice meeting in the SW? TX hill country has awesome roads. So TX, NM, AZ or So CA have good weather on Dec 21.
You would get very few from the northern states as their cars sleep during the winter months. You have to remember, the average age of owners of these cars is about 70 and many in the north, once their car is asleep, won't wake it up, let alone take a chance on driving it from a snowy climate and salted roads. Personally I think there should be 1 national held every 3-5 years in the heartland (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri) and during the summer months. And then if the 4 regions want to put something together on a yearly basis, they should. I would have driven to SD next year, but I was just there in 2018, and it's way too far to drive in a 2 seat, uncomfortable roadster. Too much can happen and can be too expensive to fix on the way there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.[/QUOTE

I'm going to make a suggestion that discussions for future nationals (post 2020 and 2021) be moved to the existing thread... https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f33/national-meet-discussions-158415/. And I've made the same request over on our 2020 thread. Maybe we can keep the 2020 and 2021 threads specific to those events. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
mysolst - Will do

·
Registered
229 Posts
You would get very few from the northern states as their cars sleep during the winter months. You have to remember, the average age of owners of these cars is about 70 and many in the north, once their car is asleep, won't wake it up, let alone take a chance on driving it from a snowy climate and salted roads. Personally I think there should be 1 national held every 3-5 years in the heartland (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri) and during the summer months. And then if the 4 regions want to put something together on a yearly basis, they should. I would have driven to SD next year, but I was just there in 2018, and it's way too far to drive in a 2 seat, uncomfortable roadster. Too much can happen and can be too expensive to fix on the way there.
Having just requested that the future nationals be discussed on the existing thread kinked below...I'll risk addressing this quote above since it is here. I guess I'm not sure what is going on in the rest of the country, but the clubs in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California have events all the time including yearly "regionals" or at least periodic gatherings for weekend stuff. Have other groups given up on that? Also, my wife and I are having a great time going to nationals every year. I'd sure hate NOT to have an event on a yearly basis. Sorry, all future comments here. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f33/national-meet-discussions-158415/

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
ANNOUNCING!

NASSAM # 16
June 14-19, 2021
Shanty Creek Resort
Bellaire, Michigan
35 Miles Northeast of Traverse City

Six Days of Guided Runs
Independent Touring
Nightly Bonfires
Meet & Greet
Ice Cream Social
Banquet
And Much More!

Cherry Capital of the World
Mackinack Island
Soo Locks
Whitefish Point
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
Lighthouses
Tunnel of Trees
Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
Lake Michigan Coastal Tour
Mackinack Bridge
Leg's Inn
Good Hart, MI
Fishtown
Oswald Bear Ranch
Tahquamenon Falls
Gaylord Craft Beer and Tap Trail

STAY TUNED!

And a Sneak Preview..........
NASSAM # 17
June 2022
Beckley, WV in the Appalachian Mountains
Jim - two suggestions - edit the WV 2022 comment out since, as you know, I’m taking 2022 to CA. Also, consider getting at least a placeholder 2021 event page up on Facebook. 👍. Looking forward to MI and I’ll see you at the Dells in September!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts