Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting about 6 months ago, I started getting a periodic chime from my car, about once per minute, roughly, whenever the car is turned on, running or not. Any idea what this could be? It doesn’t happen every time I drive the car, but probably 80% of the times I drive it.
The car had a GMOS-LAN-03 in it when I bought it, so I’m not sure if that could be related.
I assume this is a standard Solstice chime? Any idea what it indicates?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,000 Posts
That doesn’t sound like any solstice chime i have ever heard... it sounds like a humming bird in a blender. I believe you are on the right track with GMOS.
If you bought it from Crutchfield you could give them a call. Always found their tech support excellent.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,173 Posts
the GMOS part is either bad, or it needs to be reset. If you unplug the component and then disconnect the vehicle battery. wait 20 minutes and then reconnect the battery. once you reconnect the battery the HVAC system in the car should reinitialize you will know this because the LED's on the 3 knobs will blink. Once that is done then plug in the GMOS piece. If the chiming has not gone away you will need to replace it. The GMOS part I do not think has the ability to have the firmware updated in the field.

Give Axxess Integration a call 386.257.1187, tell them what is happening. The chiming is coming from the GMOS part as it is the only part in the car that is going to make any kind of a chime sound.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I wanted to say that the GMOS-LAN-03 part is not a factory part. It is there because all of the chimes that were in the vehicle came from the OE radio. when that radio gets replaced you either lose all of the chimes including the turn signal clicks or you install a part like the GMOS-LAN-03 piece that is able to read the data in the vehicle and make the sounds.

The sound that is made by that module sounds nothing like the OE sound even when it is working properly. Axxess is a good company and if the part is bad they may replace it even if it is out of warranty, you might have to sweet talk them into it tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted Axxess about it, and they just suggested that it must be getting triggered by the Solstice, and to check for warning lights or engine codes. I don’t have any dash warning lights, and the obd reader doesn’t indicate any warning codes.

The only thing it does show is two “unable to read” notices for Evaporative System and Oxygen Sensor.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
have you tried disconnecting the battery on the car for 10-15 minutes and then reconnecting it?

if you haven't give that a shot and see if it solves your problem. If not I am not sure what your code scanner is trying to tell you with the "unable to read". I have not come across that before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I did try the disconnection suggestion, but had no luck with that fixing the issue.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I have seen the modules go bad in the manner that you are having. and I have also seen them screw with the data systems in the car like what you are seeing on the code scanner.

Unplug the thing from the car and disconnect the battery for the 15 minutes. then reconnect the battery and leave the module disconnected. then code scan the car. you should have no errors. Then take the car for a drive and scan it again. You should still have no errors. Then plug the module back in and drive the car and code scan it. see if the errors come back. if they do then you know the module is toast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I finally got a replacement gmos module, hooked it up, and....... no change.
So, at this point, I’ve ruled out the gmos and ruled out my stereo, so the signal has to be coming from the car. Any idea what in the Solstice could be sending an alert once per minute-ish?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
If you unplug the chime module does the chime go away?

If it doesn't go away then I do not know what would be making the sound. If it does go away then if you have the stock radio plug that in and see if the chime comes back.

Otherwise you are going to have to get the car scanned with a scan tool that handle GM enhanced data. and you will need to scan all the modules in the vehicle to se what is going on.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Ok, I finally got a replacement gmos module, hooked it up, and....... no change.
So, at this point, I’ve ruled out the gmos and ruled out my stereo, so the signal has to be coming from the car. Any idea what in the Solstice could be sending an alert once per minute-ish?
You obviously aren't the original owner... I'm wondering if its from a kill unit from a "buy here pay here" lot. That actually sounds like a phone chime from Android....so it might be trying to send info to the receiver to see if it should shut off or continue to stay running. There have been a few other people that have found these on their cars. I would suggest start looking for blinking LEDs under the dash. I'm betting it's coming from a tracking unit of some sorts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I have had zero luck in diagnosing what is causing the aggravating chime. I don’t see anything obvious under the dash that could be causing this. Anyone have any more suggestions for how to trace the source of the chime?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Mine chimes once when leave home and get about 1/4 mile away. Never did it until I put in a new radio. I think mine has something to do with the GPS in the radio. I can't find it so I've just learned to live with it.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Mine chimes once when leave home and get about 1/4 mile away. Never did it until I put in a new radio. I think mine has something to do with the GPS in the radio. I can't find it so I've just learned to live with it.
Bill you are saying your car makes this specific sound? Or it’s just a normal GM “chime”?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
You obviously aren't the original owner... I'm wondering if its from a kill unit from a "buy here pay here" lot. That actually sounds like a phone chime from Android....so it might be trying to send info to the receiver to see if it should shut off or continue to stay running. There have been a few other people that have found these on their cars. I would suggest start looking for blinking LEDs under the dash. I'm betting it's coming from a tracking unit of some sorts.
I think ghost may be onto something here.
Did this sound even exist in 2007?
Could be a “kill alarm” as he mentioned, could be something aftermarket battery powered that is dying (running out of juice) like smoke alarms do when the battery is running low in your house?
Could it be an aftermarket back up alarm?
Does the onstar / Satellite Radio (located behind the center console under the center waterfall closet/glove box) do this when it is in an error mode?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Have you looked by the BCM? Have you pulled the radio to see if there is something behind the radio?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To follow up on this, I was able to determine that my Viofo dash cam was the culprit. The previous owner installed it, so I wasn’t aware that it was wired into the car’s sound system. I hadn’t realized it, but it had started glitching at some point and power cycling about once per minute, causing the sound. A firmware update to the camera solved the problem.

·
Administrator
8,976 Posts
To follow up on this, I was able to determine that my Viofo dash cam was the culprit. The previous owner installed it, so I wasn’t aware that it was wired into the car’s sound system. I hadn’t realized it, but it had started glitching at some point and power cycling about once per minute, causing the sound. A firmware update to the camera solved the problem.
That is interesting. Glad you were finally able to find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts