Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are probably getting tired of these allocation questions, and I did look through the Order & Allocation FAQ before posting this but I either missed the answer or it wasn't there and you may want to post this question in that area if it wasn't already answered.

Anyway, Can a dealer enter more orders in their system than they are allocated for that particular period? So if they took orders for five on 4/15-16, none of which are first 1k, and were only allocated one, can they only enter an order for one in their system in the first period and they have to hold the other four back? And does Pontiac have any way to see that there are four more waiting outside of the allocated order?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Firebird99 said:
You guys are probably getting tired of these allocation questions, and I did look through the Order & Allocation FAQ before posting this but I either missed the answer or it wasn't there and you may want to post this question in that area if it wasn't already answered.

Anyway, Can a dealer enter more orders in their system than they are allocated for that particular period? So if they took orders for five on 4/15-16, none of which are first 1k, and were only allocated one, can they only enter an order for one in their system in the first period and they have to hold the other four back? And does Pontiac have any way to see that there are four more waiting outside of the allocated order?
I believe that, theoretically anyway, they could enter as many orders in the system as they want, but they won't be picked up until thye have allocations.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good question.

small dealer can explain it better but all orders entered into the system are in a pool of orders for that dealer (order bank). They can be prioritized so they get picked up as the allocations open up in the order the dealer sets.

Also the allocations are 'spread' over the 4 month period so a 4 car allocation might be picked up 1 per month (1-1-1-1) for example.

When SD answers I'll add this the the FAQ.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb you answered well. You get a star. I am sure SD will back you up. Certainly should not be anything to prevent stockpiling of orders in the system other than any restricted times that there may be but those would be for all dealers.

·
5,641 Posts
Firebird99 said:
The three before me are all correct, as are you Firebird99.

Dealeships can enter as many orders as they want into VOMS (Vehicle Order Management System). As many sold orders as they take or as many stock orders as they want. These orders will be acknowledged by GM with VOMS order numbers, and they will sit in the dealer order bank/pool. In fact it is beneficial to have orders in the pool, so you do not miss an allocation oppertunity. The dealership will place them in order of priority. GM/Pontiac will be able to see the number of orders each dealership has placed and if they are sold or stock.

When a dealer order cycle starts on Thursday, the dealership will see how many of each line they were allocated. They will also see the allocation of any constraints.

A dealership can also request additional allocation. They may not get it but they can ask. Any additional allocation would come from dealerships that turned down their allocation or from extra capacity above the allocated amounts. This isn't going to effect Solstice, I would think.

So in your specific question, yes the dealership could enter the 5 orders they took in April right into the system. They would be there for when the dealership received an allocation amount. The system would then just them "pick" them "up".

Think that should answer what I thought the question was, with the help of my assistants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How can you tell then if your order is an allocation order or a stock pile order, also how can the number of total allocation a dealer has be determined.
thanks
percy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the answer to your allocation question is this..... the dealer can put in as many orders and he or she wants.. but you will only receive what you have been allocated for that week.. unless someone doesnt read their constaints and puts something on a car that is not available to them... then gm will kick the order out and the dealer will lose their order....then that car will go out to the next person that deserves it or the next order out there that fits within the constraints of that weekly order period... that why dealers put extra orders in just incase someone screws up their order and they are the lucky ones to pick up the extra one.....odds are very slim but if you dont have extra orders in you'll never get a chance to pick up an extra.......
carguyokc...

·
5,641 Posts
percy said:
How can you tell then if your order is an allocation order or a stock pile order, also how can the number of total allocation a dealer has be determined.
Last, first. The only way to know a dealership's allocation is to ask them. It is not available to the public, to other dealerships, or if you read enough posts here-sometimes not even available inside the dealership.

All orders go into the dealership order bank/pool/pile. A sold order would be coded differently, and have the buyers name/address included. The weekly (for the most part), there is an allocation process where dealerships are told how many (if any) orders GM/Pontiac will take from the pool that week. The only way to know if your order has been allocated/preferenced/"picked up", is to ask the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was late in ordering my solstice but I was able to take over someone else slot as they wanted out and I was told I was this dealership number five and would be on the second truck delivery so I put down my 500 bucks, I will wait it out.
percy.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Last, first. The only way to know a dealership's allocation is to ask them. It is not available to the public, to other dealerships, or if you read enough posts here-sometimes not even available inside the dealership.

All orders go into the dealership order bank/pool/pile. A sold order would be coded differently, and have the buyers name/address included. The weekly (for the most part), there is an allocation process where dealerships are told how many (if any) orders GM/Pontiac will take from the pool that week. The only way to know if your order has been allocated/preferenced/"picked up", is to ask the dealership.
One more additional question, please. Who decides if your order is part of the first allocation? Let's say you ordered a car on 4/15. The dealer says you are #1 of his first 4 months allocation. They get 5 orders total. Can he or someone at that dealership pull you order from the allocation (but keep it in the stockpile) and submit a new order for allocation. Or does it depend on the sequence of entry into the system? Also, can the dealer change your priority standing at a later date and raise another above yours?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Now I understand a bit more on allocations. I have the second order but am waiting on the allocation at the dealership which he says may come this week on Thursday or next week, etc.

Trux
Aggressive with Ebony Leather - Convenience, Power, Premium Packages, Air, Brakes, differential, Mats, US8 Sound, Polished Wheels

·
5,641 Posts
PubliusE said:
Who decides if your order is part of the first allocation?

Can that dealership pull you order from the allocation (but keep it in the stockpile) and submit a new order for allocation?

Or does it depend on the sequence of entry into the system?

Can the dealer change your priority standing at a later date and raise another above yours?
Dealership sets the priority list, and that is the order GM/Pontiac takes the cars when/if the dealership gets an allocation spot. They can set it in any order that the want. Dosen't have to be by order taken date. They can change the order each dealer order cycle that they receive allocation. The dealership can move orders ahead of others that may have been in the system longer.

·
5,641 Posts
trux said:
I have the second order but am waiting on the allocation at the dealership which he says may come this week on Thursday or next week, etc.

Dealerships should already have access to reports that show each August dealer order cycle and it they will be getting any Solstice allocation, and a report that shows if they will get any during September.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great questions and answers guys, I plucked off several new Q&As for the sales FAQ. Thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mceb said:
Great questions and answers guys, I plucked off several new Q&As for the sales FAQ. Thanks :thumbs:
:agree: Thanks to all responses!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been sitting on the sidelines of this forum for quite some time and am happy to join in. I am original owner of 1991 Miata....Great car, 180k and lots of life still left. Excited about buying cool AMERICAN car once again.

I am late to the party, having ordered on 8/09. I am #17 at dealer. They have 14 first 4 month allocation, so that makes me #3 of 2nd allocation. Ughh!(Great dealer, has been upfront with me and gave me VOMS # right away) I suppose I could have asked dealer this question, but maybe others here are wondering same thing.

The question/response is what time frame does the 1st allocation start? I assume it is Aug-Nov, with 2nd 4 month period beginning Dec. But we all know what happens when we ASS-U-ME. I was hoping for Xmas delivery which is totally unrealistic. Valentines Day would be more fitting because I am in love with this car and have a heart-on for it.

Are there any production forcasts from GM? Total weekly production capacity and anticipated timeframe to ramp up to full production.

Great forum. I have learned more about the car buying process than I could have imagined. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Aggressive, Powerpkg, AC, Lim. slip, ebony cloth int. (I stick to leather upholstery when its 110 degrees. Yuk.

·
Registered
185 Posts
welcome

sonoransolstice said:
The question/response is what time frame does the 1st allocation start? I assume it is Aug-Nov, with 2nd 4 month period beginning Dec. But we all know what happens when we ASS-U-ME. I was hoping for Xmas delivery which is totally unrealistic. Valentines Day would be more fitting because I am in love with this car and have a heart-on for it.

Are there any production forcasts from GM? Total weekly production capacity and anticipated timeframe to ramp up to full production.

Great forum. I have learned more about the car buying process than I could have imagined. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Aggressive, Powerpkg, AC, Lim. slip, ebony cloth int. (I stick to leather upholstery when its 110 degrees. Yuk.
Welcome to the world's most popular forum & congrats on your car :) I've been out of the forum for a couple of days, so I'll let the others correct me, or you can probably find some of the answers just looking through the lastest posts, but I think the approx dates we were guessing were,
August: First 1000 (apprentice promo)
End Aug/beg Sept: Zero Zippers & Free Maintenance (small # of buyers who had problems with ordering)
Sept: month 1, first allocation
Oct: month 2, first allocation
Nov: month 3, first allocation
Dec: month 4, first allocation

So if you're in the first allocation (some dealers are already filling orders for the 2nd allocation, so doublecheck that), you should have your car by Dec if your in the 1st allocation & everything goes according to plan.

I don't think GM released any official #'s on what their ramp up is, but there goal was to build 20,000 solstices per year. Not sure how the sales will impact that (can they increase).

AJ

·
Registered
340 Posts
Driving naked is always an option in AZ:cool:

This will be daily driver, so in the blistering hot summer months during the day when the sun is our mortal enemy :devil: , I will be driving with the ICE COLD AC on in my cocoon with limo tinted windows and comfy cloth seats.

Top will be down at night and all winter long while you shovel snow in Iowa. :lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
When it comes to delivery dates, "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of GM". Before Valentines is a good enough thing to keep in you're mind. I always plan on the worst and hope for the best. That way if it comes in a month or two earlier, it'll be all the more reason to celebrate. Maybe think of it this way, most of the other members put their orders in March or April and, if they didn't win an EOP, probably won't get their cars till around October. That's six months but you'll only have to wait, at most, five and three quarters! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts