Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Originally posted at skyroadster.com, and I know there's a LOT of crossover people, but just in case someone with the know-how doesn't... er... cross over...)

Hey everybody! Here's the question:
Do I need to install the relay mentioned here in order to get my "courtesy lights" to turn on when I open the door and off when I close the door?

Here's the skinny... other than me...

Bought an auto-dimming homelink mirror with maplights and "mood lighting" (amber... it's really cool, btw) from a 2005 Chevy SSR. I believe this is actually the 50-GENK42, which is no longer available, though it's stamped with the model number GNTX-341. Based on the table below, I have routed the wiring as follows:
SSR Mirror harness
pin 1-2 Not Used N/A
pin 3 BK Ground Used black wire on our mirror
pin 4 GY Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal Not planning to use this
pin 5 OG Battery Positive Voltage Used Blue/White Stripe wire on our mirror
pin 6 PK Ignition 1 Voltage Used fuse tap on #20 (spare) at 15A - for sunroof, I think?
pin 7 L-GN Backup Lamp Supply Voltage Not planning to use this
pin 8 GY/Bk Courtesy Lamp Supply Voltage
pin 9 PK Automatic Day/Night Mirror Low Reference Not planning to use this
pin 10 Not Used N/A
I used our gray wire, which I understand to be the auto-dimming signal wire coming from the BCM referenced from posts by JRinKY (thanks!:seeya:) to the pin 9 GY/Bk Courtesy Lamp Supply Voltage; only nothing happens. I'm guessing I need that relay (probably solid state, as if you read the above-linked post, the mechanical relays get "chattery" as they resist.)

Ideas?

I'm thisclose to having the mirror I want, and one I believe should have at least been optional on all our cars, but I really want the courtesy lights to work, too. As an FYI for anyone interested:
- The homelink and white map light are "always on" and both work (the LED maplight is button-activated)
- The auto-dimming is on ignition switched from fuse 20 and it works, but I can deactivate it from a button on the mirror face
- The amber mood lighting is also on ignition switched from fuse 20 and it works (and it looks REALLY COOL, too!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The gray wire is actually switched GROUND, not a 12V supply. The OEM mirror needs a constant 12V and then uses a 'fading' switched ground to turn the lights on (grounded) or off (open).

You can use this ground to switch a relay, but if you use a normal electro-magnet relay, it will 'chatter' as the ground 'fades'. Others have used a solid-state relay and reported good results (try a search for "solid state").

Good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey TS! I been lookin' for you....!
(Did you get my PM from the Sky site?)

I figured the gray wire was switched ground, sorry if I was misleading in describing my understanding. I was just hoping that since this was an SSR mirror that already had operated on a General Motors BCM with what I would have guessed to be a switched ground also, that it would've been more plug 'n play, sorta.

I went to my local electronic supply and the only solid state relays they had were so big they wouldn't fit in under the header panel. I bought the mechanical one, just in case, since I was there. Guess I'll get the same one listed in the other post and wire it in.

Thanks!:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pics I took. Sorry Mr. Blurrycam took over the reigns for a little bit. My camera doesn't have image stablization.

Rear view mirror out of a 2005 Chevy SSR - part number 15188930
(I also believe this was previously available as the 50-GENK42)

Here's the mirror with a green LED, in the "ignition on" position:

Here's me pressing the homelink button, which in turn changes the LED to red:

Here's the white maplights (activated by pressing the maplight button on the right of the mirror):

Here's the amber "mood lighting", which I believe is activated by the photocell in the mirror, because it's only on when the autodimming is active. It also compliments the interior of the Sky very nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts