Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in high school I took a part time job as a DJ on a local radio station. It evolved into a full time gig by the time college came around, but I left town chasing my love.

About 35 years ago I bought a pair of Cerwin Vega D9's to dj parties and weddings with. Loved those things but over time they were pushed aside and spent the last 16 years in my pole barn. The foam rings around the woofers disintegrated and I'm pretty sure my teenaged son (at the time) cooked a voice coil using them when they were in poor shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a factory authorized source that sold kits for the foam rings, but as you can see, one of my cones was nibbled upon by rodents. I bought the "cone kits" and set about gutting the originals (which felt unnatural indeed!) and re-coning both of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I "nailed it" but turns out I apparently pulled one of the voice coils out of position with the cone before I epoxied it in place. It sounded "okay" but I decided I wasn't going to live with it. So I bit the bullet and re-coned that one.

I have to admit, I might have to replace the nails holding the metal on my pole barn with screws now that I have both 15" woofers thumping the walls!

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
i've had 2 pair of small and large Advent speakers for over 40 years, the cones crumbled from non-use and I re-coned them. they don't make speakers any more like they used to....
Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
Nice job on the speakers, CW.
I have a pair of AR-1s fed by two McIntosh MC30 amps that my grandfather bought in 1959, and a pair of AR-3s fed by two Dyna ST-70 amps that I bought used when I was in college, and re-tubed about five years ago.
I like to be able to "see" my music.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Chickenwire,

I was a mobile DJ for 44 years. Retired at the end of 2017

I did it as a part time business. Even part time, I was doing 50 to 60 gigs per year in the 90's. Towards the end, I was down to 10 to 15 per year.

Even had a couple DJ working for me in the 90's and a blues music radio show one day/week.

I loved the business. I was able to purchase any equipment I wanted, and every cassette, album and cd without my wife setting a budget or complaining about my "hobby business" expenditure.

What I really wanted to do back in the 70's was be in a band. I unfortunately have absolutely no talent.

I was in the business during the good old days. I was one of the first "mobile" dj's in the area and enjoyed the growth and technological advancements in the business. I got to experience all the different musical styles and the creation of new genre as it was happening in the last 44 years. I performed in some of the poshest ballrooms, yacht clubs, country clubs and hotels in Seattle, Bellevue and surrounding areas. I even did a couple gigs at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle!

I have not begun selling the equipment and software. In case I have a comeback. LOL

Will probably start selling equipment this year. Wow that'll net me cash to spend on the GXP!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've had 2 pair of small and large Advent speakers for over 40 years, the cones crumbled from non-use and I re-coned them. they don't make speakers any more like they used to....
Bill
Isn't that the truth? I remember when I bought the Cerwin Vegas they were touting how efficient they were. I don't remember the exact decibels at 1 watt at 1 meter but it was a huge selling point.

Last Christmas my son was asking for a pair of book shelf speakers to put in his garage to hook up a small amp for his TV. The speakers on the TV were too weak to listen to a ball game or hockey game when he had his space heater on. We bought him a set of Cerwin Vegas, understanding "they ain't what they used to be". BUT, we tested them on my Onkyo in my den when he opened them and for a small speaker they had a pretty good punch.

The kids bought me a set to use for my rear channels in my pole barn. That amplifier is not surround, but has A and B so that should work fine, right? Well the big D9's are soooo efficient that by the time I have enough juice to the brand new rears to get them to sound decent, the fronts are nearly unlistenably LOUD!

Of course this means I need to buy an A/V surround amp/receiver now . . . :)

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job on the speakers, CW.
I have a pair of AR-1s fed by two McIntosh MC30 amps that my grandfather bought in 1959, and a pair of AR-3s fed by two Dyna ST-70 amps that I bought used when I was in college, and re-tubed about five years ago.
I like to be able to "see" my music.
'Bout '82 when I was still on the radio we had a studio engineer (moonlighting) whose day job was at the local Radio Shack. (Remember those?) Local disco had an amp that died on them so they bought another on the spot - had to be open that night. They left their 400 watt power amp at the shack and forgot it. This guy patched it up and asked me if I was interested. Bought it for $20.00. It was a Dynaco - kind of a hybrid half tube/half transistor.

Moved a lot of air with that combo over the years!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chickenwire,

I loved the business. I was able to purchase any equipment I wanted, and every cassette, album and cd without my wife setting a budget or complaining about my "hobby business" expenditure.
I was in the exact same boat. Could keep my gear up to date and buy all the music I wanted (and of course, some I didn't want.)

Never gigged to the level you did - it was strictly picking up an event here or there. At the time I was building my plastics engineering career and I would push 55-70 hours per week.

I "retired" as a DJ so many times I lost count. I'd get burned out and stop booking gigs. I'd tell my wife I was done and she'd say "you'll go about 3 months, miss it, and start booking again." She was usually right!

You mentioned "software" - that was LONG after my days were over. I hauled sea trunks of albums and boxes of 45's - not one of those pansies with a laptop! I told clients "You don't pay me to play music and MC the event. You pay me to haul this crap out of my house and then back into it at 3 a.m.!"

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
You did a great job on the speakers Chicken .I own a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-8 . As my hands aren't as steady as they use to be i had the woofers from the Cerwins shipped to a company in Vancouver that rebuilt the outer foam rings as the heat over the years dried them out. They did a great job.
I also have a Bose surround hooked up to my amp & in all honesty i find the Cerwin's have a deeper warmer sound. I still have a Sanyo Quad 4 channel amp from 73 that was both sq & cd-4 & a few quad albums. I got burned as i found very few lps in quad as Columbia & RCA fought over who would win out with their technology. I can still remember listening to the Doors "Rider on the Storm" on my Akai quad 8 track. Looking to replace the foam cushions on my Sennheiser Headphones when there products were actually made in Germany. I still own a pair of Koss headphones called the Phase/2plus2 that was for quad sound. In all honesty i don't why i'm hanging on to some of these old relics.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You did a great job on the speakers Chicken .I own a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-8 . As my hands aren't as steady as they use to be i had the woofers from the Cerwins shipped to a company in Vancouver that rebuilt the outer foam rings as the heat over the years dried them out. They did a great job.
I also have a Bose surround hooked up to my amp & in all honesty i find the Cerwin's have a deeper warmer sound. I still have a Sanyo Quad 4 channel amp from 72 that was both sq & matrix & a few quad albums. I got burned as i found very few lps in quad as CBS & Capital fought over who would win out with their technology. I can still remember listening to the Doors "Rider on the Storm" on my Akai quad 8 track. Looking to replace the foam cushions on my Sennheiser Headphones when there products were actually made in Germany. I still own a pair of Koss headphones called the Phase/2plus2 that was for quad sound. In all honesty i don't why i'm hanging on to some of these old relics.
lol... I have a quad decoder up in the attic...
Bill

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, the old quad 8 track. A little before my time but I remember my eldest sister had a boyfriend with that set up in his ride.

You look back at the 8-track and realize that had to have been marketing genius. A technology that forced you to sit through interruptions in the middle of songs, poor reliability and continuously degrading sound quality with every play? But they were SO popular the corner gas station in our small town was turning hundreds of units of counterfeits!

Remember the Columbia house fliers? 12 8-tracks for a penny!

·
Registered
320 Posts
You mentioned "software" - that was LONG after my days were over. I hauled sea trunks of albums and boxes of 45's - not one of those pansies with a laptop! QUOTE

Started in the 70's with one reel to reel tape recorder and a turntable. Then two turntables only for about 10 years. Carried around 200 albums and singles in milk crates.

Then CD's came around. I probably would have quit DJ'ing if not for CD's. Was tired of the stylus jumping around from dancers on weak floors, bass from high volume distorting the sound and locating the records lead groove all night in dim lighting. (A slab of concrete was placed under the turntables to keep stylus movement minimal) Started with two consumer Yamaha CD players and quickly progressed to professional dual deck CD players from Denon with adjustable speed and pitch for beat matching. Carried 160 CD's in two SKB cases.

Recordable CD's was the next technological leap. Instead of carrying around one CD for one song, compilation CD''s could be burned reducing the number of CD's. Carried one SKB case with 80 burned CD's. Another advantage to burned CD's was the ability to permanently edit songs, such as eliminating non-danceable beginnings and ends to songs.

Finally, MP3's revolutionized DJ'ing. I was able to carry over 10,000 song on a laptop and if I did'nt have a song request, I could download it at the gig. I connected the laptop to the mixer via a digital/analog converter and a Denon MIDI controller that replicated the faceplate and functions of a dual CD player. I compressed the music 50% with FLAC and Apple lossless so the music is indistinguishable from a CD. This was the final evolution of my software when I retired.

I still have all the CD's. I had a subscription to a music service that provided two CD per month, full of recent pop and country hits. Plus all the rock and blues CD's. Everything has been burned to hard drive. I had to retain the original CD's at home, while DJ'ing to be legal with ASCAP. Probably should start selling them but not much value in CD's anymore.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
What speed were you using back then on your reel to reels for recording for DJ ing was it 71/2 or 3 3/4 Syjo. I still have a box of old reel to reels that when i play some screech like hell from sitting to long . Those old 8 tracks warped bad in the summer & broke a lot of tape around the capston & pinch rollers. Those old boot 8 tracks i remember Chicken. I bought a lot of boot vinyl back in the day at head shops as they had some obscure vinyl. I always wondered what the sound was like & how the 45s played in some of the older cars that had record players in them as i have never heard one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What speed were you using back then on your reel to reels for recording for DJ ing was it 71/2 or 3 3/4 Syjo.
I don't recall the speed, it's been way too long. I thought my Tandberg reel to reel had three speeds and I probably used the middle speed.

Never used 8 track for DJ'ing. Too unreliable, poor sound and high tape noise. Had one in my car though.

The reel to reel was used mostly to play a set of prefaded songs that created a dance set. In those early days, live mixing with two turntables had not become common yet. DJ'ing had not become a "profession" either so the DJ put on a long dance set, mingled and partied with the crowd. I DJ'ed at the beginning for beer, pot, food, fame and women. Not in that order.

First time someone asked me how much I charged for a gig, I was speechless. I recall being elated getting $25 for a wedding in 1974. By the 2000's some high end weddings were booked for well over $1,000.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i still have a home 8-track player and a travel case of cartridges. also have 2 reel-to-reels decks but can't find the tapes..... and, of course, cassettes... also a video disc player.. and a turntable and 33-1/3s lps

I got 'stuff'
Bill

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got 'stuff'
Bill
You got a problem....lol!

I used to "live mix" and fade turntables with 12" ep dance mixes and the standard radio release of a hit song on 45. When I lived in "the great white north" (near the Canadian border and 99.99% Caucasian) I was filling in at a local dance club and doing just that. There was a crew from a coast guard ship temporarily stationed in town enjoying their "shore leave" when broke into an extended "live" dance mix of Rick James.

The black men were hilarious when I first saw their expressions and then their appreciation when this white guy in the middle of no where was doing what I was doing. "This man is SMOOOOTH on the records!" After closing they were out on the front sidewalk when I was leaving. Gave me a standing ovation!

Used to live mix on the radio also. The second radio station I worked at was album rock (early 80's) and had a change in management and, therefore, format. I went from probably 40-50 phone calls per Friday night to about 2 per week (and I swear one would be a wrong number!) When the GM finally decided to go "hot 100" in the evenings I was, of course, ecstatic. I was about 12 minutes into a live mix of Thomas Dolby's "Science" when he called me and asked if it was the 45. I said "No, the only version available was the 'album' version."

"Well this is too long, wait until we can get the single before playing it again." ;)

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
The Soo in the USA used to have a great fm rock station in the 70s as if i remember it was the first station between both Saults that played entire album sides commercial free.Today i find fm stations have become more like the am stations were back in the day with all the commercials. I must admit i hardly put my vinyl on any more as i end up listening to internet radio stations or xm radio.
I hope some one from the forum elaborates on the 45 turntables they used to have in some of the older cars & did the 45s skip a lot while driving .

1 - 20 of 114 Posts