Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Then I got one of these and it opened up a whole set of new listening opportunities. And the music of the day did not require very high quality playback. It was mostly hormones and lust

And of course

and

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
In 1967 I discovered reel to reel. Don't remember the model number but it was similar to this one. Who knew the tapes did not like the humidity.

Those were the acid days. Again, quality was not a high priority. Listening drunk or stoned was the norm.

Who would have thought it would have morphed into this

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Now I have a server with 14000 songs, 14 Eco's, three stereo systems, 6 iPods and tinnitus. I listen to music all the time and love it!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Remember using a splicing block for reel to reel tapes when editing commercials at the radio station. Used the reel to add reverb during commericals by feeding it back through the mixers. As the playback head was after the record head so there was a delay as the tape traveled past them.

Even did some phase shifting by dragging and pulling the tape on the reels as the same music/source was playing on another tape deck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Remember using a splicing block for reel to reel tapes when editing commercials at the radio station. Used the reel to add reverb during commericals by feeding it back through the mixers. As the playback head was after the record head so there was a delay as the tape traveled past them.

Even did some phase shifting by dragging and pulling the tape on the reels as the same music/source was playing on another tape deck!
Never did any splicing of reel to reel tapes. Do you cut straight or at an angle?

Only splicing I've done is with VHS tape. I had to splice hundreds of broken and wrinkled video tapes when we started renting video tapes in our Audio/Video stores. Video tape is helical scanned and has to be spliced at an angle. Had a little splicing gizmo that cut at the correct angle and held it till taped.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
"Repairs" were always angled to get more surface area on the adhesive. "Edits" were at a 90. Not quite as accurate as today's "cut and paste" on audio software, but you could get pretty good at it with practice!

·
Registered
328 Posts
"Repairs" were always angled to get more surface area on the adhesive. "Edits" were at a 90. Not quite as accurate as today's "cut and paste" on audio software, but you could get pretty good at it with practice!

When you repair splice, what does it sound like when the head passes over the angled cut?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
With audio you had a drop out usually. Typically you'd hear a blip on one channel (stereo) then the other. What we would consider "work tape" would eventually get trashed because they'd been carved up so much and you'd have losses at exactly the "wrong" times. I'd imagine with VHS the angle you spliced would make a difference due to the spinning head, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
VHS tape was spliced at the same angle as the head which was angled in relation to the tape path - not 90°

If spliced properly, the splice looked like a scene change. If not done right, the video would have a blip that looked like a tear across the screen.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Badges were beat up. Took a metallic paint pen to them. Not perfect (I touched them up a bit after these pics but decided "that's enough - you're going to screw them up!)

Attachments

101 - 114 of 114 Posts