Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I HATE DEALING WITH :devil: CAR DEALERS!!! :devil: OK, So today I decided to take the big step and put a deposit down. Every day I drive by this monster car dealer that sells the entire lines of GM (except Saturn), Ford, Chrysler and Toyota. The salesman opened my car door when I drove up (not a good sign). Told him I wanted to put a deposit down on a Solstice at MSRP. "What's a Solstice?" Explained to him and he said "Come inside and I'll ask someone." Sat for a few minutes in an office then went out in the showroom and dreamed about a Cadillac XLR they had for a while. Bobby(salesman) appeared again and said "No problem, lets see if we can build you one." A futile five minutes at the computer but worth a shot. He said, "Well, let me write you up." So we went back to an office and he wrote on a form "Above agrees to purshase a Pontiac Solstice (had to ask how to spell it) at no more than MSRP sticker in Tarnished Silver with all available options except polished wheels. $500 deposit made". Wrote down my debit card info. Things were looking good when he left but he returned in a few minutes and said, "They wouldn't go for it. They don't want to commit to sticker." So I wasted almost an hour. Before I left he told me they had "a few thousand dollar mark up on the new GTO's!!!" :brentil:

Questions: Do I just keep playing this game all over three counties. Will the dealers tell me over the phone? How did you people do it? I'd drive up to GTOJ in Dallas (4-5 hrs one way) but I figure he's taken so many deposits I'd be getting one in the fall!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I feel your pain.

Went to my local Buick/Pontiac dealer and said i'd like to preorder a Solstice.

Salesman says A Toyota Solstice? :willy:

Wouldn't commit to MSRP either.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, they've got nerve. You would think since it's not even orderable yet they'd do the deal at MSRP and screw other people later. Must be a real shady dealership.

I suggest phone or e-mail. Might want to go direct to a manager (better chance of knowing what it is). ASk right up front if they have a policy about not selling over sticker (some do).

Greedy dealers are gonna kill this thing. Add that to the list of kappa killers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Email has been the tool I've used so far. I've gotten one dealer in the area who's said via email they'll sell at MSRP. The other deal in my area said they weren't sure how they were handling the Solstice yet.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Greedy dealers are gonna kill this thing. Add that to the list of kappa killers.
Not necisarily, it just means GTOJ's dealership will post record sales this year. :D

Seriously though, I do agree, the dealers are seriously going to be what's going to f-up the Solstice. As we've talked about before, they were probably a good part of the reason for the GTO failure. I mean really, I was behind an all new black 2005 GTO with the LS2 and hood scoops, that is one gorgeous car.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I firmly believe that if you get away from the large dealers and find a smaller one that is privately owned you will have better luck. Might have a bit more wait because of allocations, but talking to the OWNER is lots more productive.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
a good dealer

My local (rural) dealership is managed by a guy I have coffee with. I'm number 1 to get a Solstice. Not too many Bubbas want a Solstice. He told me that he and I would build one to my specs, probably in April, on his computer. 'Said once it's ordered he might need a deposit but not to worry about it. My guess it will be no more than MSRP (minus my GM Card credits).

·
Registered
163 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I HATE DEALING WITH :devil: CAR DEALERS!!! :devil: OK, So today I decided to take the big step and put a deposit down. Every day I drive by this monster car dealer that sells the entire lines of GM (except Saturn), Ford, Chrysler and Toyota. The salesman opened my car door when I drove up (not a good sign). Told him I wanted to put a deposit down on a Solstice at MSRP. "What's a Solstice?" Explained to him and he said "Come inside and I'll ask someone." Sat for a few minutes in an office then went out in the showroom and dreamed about a Cadillac XLR they had for a while. Bobby(salesman) appeared again and said "No problem, lets see if we can build you one." A futile five minutes at the computer but worth a shot. He said, "Well, let me write you up." So we went back to an office and he wrote on a form "Above agrees to purshase a Pontiac Solstice (had to ask how to spell it) at no more than MSRP sticker in Tarnished Silver with all available options except polished wheels. $500 deposit made". Wrote down my debit card info. Things were looking good when he left but he returned in a few minutes and said, "They wouldn't go for it. They don't want to commit to sticker." So I wasted almost an hour. Before I left he told me they had "a few thousand dollar mark up on the new GTO's!!!" :brentil:

Questions: Do I just keep playing this game all over three counties. Will the dealers tell me over the phone? How did you people do it? I'd drive up to GTOJ in Dallas (4-5 hrs one way) but I figure he's taken so many deposits I'd be getting one in the fall!!!
Mark-up on the GTO's ?? They can't give the GTO'S away! Get as far away from that dealer as you can. ANOTHER MORON DEALER!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Specifics

Why not give us the name/location of the offending dealership (s) so we won't make the same mistake and waste our time stopping by it for reasonable customer service?

·
Registered
97 Posts
AJC said:
Mark-up on the GTO's ?? They can't give the GTO'S away! Get as far away from that dealer as you can. ANOTHER MORON DEALER!
Not true. I know A LOT of people that would take one if given to them :jester:

Seriously though, GTO is a great car and not as hard to get rid of as people make them out to be.

As for the offending dealership, is it in Alvin?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Going to a small dealer will mean you wait longer for a new car. New cars are distributed to a dealer according to their sales. If they are small, less sales, equals fewer specialty vehicles.

I don't blame people for being upset about paying over sticker. It's called supply and demand. If you don't want to pay that kind of money, and can't seem to be able to work a deal, WAIT. If you have to be the first you run the risk of paying for supply and demand. Don't forget you live in America, making money is not a bad thing.
And yes some dealer are still selling allot of GTO's. Those are the ones that will have a large supply of Solstice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
jwvrod said:
And yes some dealer are still selling allot of GTO's. Those are the ones that will have a large supply of Solstice.
I have not seen a single GTO on the road yet. And I've seen the same GTO sitting on the local dealer's lot for the past 6 months.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
I have not seen a single GTO on the road yet. And I've seen the same GTO sitting on the local dealer's lot for the past 6 months.
I've actually seen 1 black 2004, 1 yellow 2004, and now one sweet looking black 2005 in my area. That's amasingly three times as many GTO's as I've seen Cobalts. I've only seen 1 white Cobalt Sedan. And an infinitely larger number of GTO's to new C6's since I've seen zero of those.

·
Registered
97 Posts
jwvrod said:
Going to a small dealer will mean you wait longer for a new car. New cars are distributed to a dealer according to their sales. If they are small, less sales, equals fewer specialty vehicles.
I assume you work for a large dealer. I don't want to get into an argument here, but the above statement isn't really true. When the Sierra was redesigned in '99 we were one of the first dealers to get one, ours was in a group of the first hundred built during the strike. And we're a small dealer. We got our first GTO before a lot of the 'big boys' did. Same with G6, Grand Prix, CTS, etc. I believe you stated you are the ordering person for a GM dealership, correct??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
That happens. :yesnod: In the Atlanta market they can sell on average 4 or 5 a month. Not allot you say, the only other Pontiac to sell like that is the vibe. Maybe later this year the G6 will ketch on. :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
eatoninside said:
I assume you work for a large dealer. I don't want to get into an argument here, but the above statement isn't really true. When the Sierra was redesigned in '99 we were one of the first dealers to get one, ours was in a group of the first hundred built during the strike. And we're a small dealer. We got our first GTO before a lot of the 'big boys' did. Same with G6, Grand Prix, CTS, etc. I believe you stated you are the ordering person for a GM dealership, correct??
I'll be more clear. ;)
A smaller dealer may get 1 or 2 first, that wasn't my point. A larger dealer will get more vehicles. Like the one person who's friend is the dealer, he may get the first Solstice, but others will have to wait. :yesnod:
Yes I work for a Large dealer, we also have many small dealerships. They always fall short.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay :)

I thought you meant the smaller dealer would have to wait until the bigger dealers got one before the smaller dealer got one. It is true that the smaller dealers dont get as many, but they don't need as many because they can't sell as many.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
brentil said:
I've actually seen 1 black 2004, 1 yellow 2004, and now one sweet looking black 2005 in my area. That's amasingly three times as many GTO's as I've seen Cobalts. I've only seen 1 white Cobalt Sedan. And an infinitely larger number of GTO's to new C6's since I've seen zero of those.
Well considering the Cobalt was late out of the gate, and that you can only get sedan's at this point... they aren't going to have a lot of them on the road.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Update on Cobalt:

A few Cobalt coupes have been shipped to dealers. I saw a yellow on the lot of a local Chevy dealer about two weeks ago. It’ll take a while for significant numbers to appear on lots, probably due to the shear volume of Chevy dealers across the country, but they are shipping.

Rumor has it that they ran the first Cobalt SS’s off the line last week. 15 black SS’s were built. So it will still be a little while before those start showing up on lots. I also don’t know if they are now building them daily, or if it was a test run to see how things went.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts