Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to search the pictures for just images of rims on cars? I am trying to decide if to go after market rims(husband preference) or stick with the stock(my preference) because one of mine has a nasty gouge from previous owner.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yes, tire rack has the biggest selection. and I think discount tire has the thing where you chose your car and it shows it with them on too.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Taz - no dumb questions! (But I won't rule out a smart-a$$ed answer on my part. lol!)

We, too, have a gouge in the clear coat on a factory wheel. I'm going to try to "touch it up" with some aftermarket clear soon to see how it comes out. The cost to have the wheels re-cleared professionally rivals just buying aftermarket. The cost to buy "original replacements" is absurd (as far as I've been able to price them) but that's not unexpected.

I stripped the inside of the stock clearcoat rims and blacked them out and really like the look. It's that [email protected]#$ chipped clear on one of the wheels that really bugs me.

Is your rim "gouged" into the chrome/aluminum or just chipped clear?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a really big gouge & of course that is naturally where my eye goes every time I look at it. LOL The $ amount is why the hubby is leaning towards after market because he says you can get some pretty trick rims for the cost of the stock ones. I also had a quote done on getting them repaired but it was pretty high.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Yah know, Devil? You should really stop sugar coating your answers and just come out and let us know how you really feel. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Yah know, Devil? You should really stop sugar coating your answers and just come out and let us know how you really feel. :lol:
We love RD.

You know that there are people for whom the glass is half full?

And people for whom the glass is half empty?

Well I believe he falls into that special catagory where there is no stinking glass!:yesnod:

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Stock wheels suck, buy some aftermarket wheels.
Well, except for the Q9Y wheels of course....:devil:

Tazdeana, the cheapest way to 'fix' your problem is to just buy one stock wheel. There are enough people swapping out for after market wheels that used rims in good condition are pretty cheap now - certainly away cheaper than buying 4 new after market wheels.

Determine which version you have - chrome, polished or painted and put an ad in the Want to Buy section. You should be abel to get one without major blems for about $100.

Of course if your husband WANTS (as opposed to needs) after market wheels, the cost may not factor into it......

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Well, except for the Q9Y wheels of course....:devil:

Tazdeana, the cheapest way to 'fix' your problem is to just buy one stock wheel. There are enough people swapping out for after market wheels that used rims in good condition are pretty cheap now - certainly away cheaper than buying 4 new after market wheels.

Determine which version you have - chrome, polished or painted and put an ad in the Want to Buy section. You should be abel to get one without major blems for about $100.

Of course if your husband WANTS (as opposed to needs) after market wheels, the cost may not factor into it......
:agree: just what I was going to say, only he said it better...........

I have a set of dream after-markets I would like to have, but, they don't exist. I would have to custom order from someone who could carve them out of some aluminum billet, but, I would have to sell the car to buy the wheels. There is a famous old picture of a UK driver in a BRG Type D Jag (Yuag?) with steel wheels and knock-offs. Looks like a near neutral offset, but they could be made with a proper negative offset, and maybe, MAYBE with real knock-offs if someone wiser than I could use the splined holes in our hubs to mount a center post? So, see what I mean? [OK, so this reply wasn't witty..........]

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
We love RD.

You know that there are people for whom the glass is half full?

And people for whom the glass is half empty?

Well I believe he falls into that special catagory where there is no stinking glass!:yesnod:
I'm a REALIST, not a pessimist nor an optimistic person, so the glass is BOTH half full AND half empty. Think about it.:lol:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some one said they changed rims on certain years. Is this true? I have a 2007 GXP & they look chrome to me.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Mine came with painted rims. They came with chrome, polished and painted rims depending on how they were ordered. The special edition cars had . .. strangely enough special edition wheels. They were I believe all polished and not chrome. Except for one member of the Sky forum who is having his SE wheels chromed.

I had my painted wheels . .. painted. And carbon fiber pattern dipped. I had my Motegi wheels painted. Currently they are on their fifth repainting. Its a long story.:willy:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not 100% sure about this but

Think that the original Sols in 2006 had the painted silver wheels with chrome optional.
In 2007 they began offering the polished version.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Think that the original Sols in 2006 had the painted silver wheels with chrome optional.
In 2007 they began offering the polished version.
Nope, polished were also an option (ours) for 2006.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the carbon fiber idea. How does this hold up? I have black carbon fiber stripes on it so that would look nice.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Some one said they changed rims on certain years. Is this true? I have a 2007 GXP & they look chrome to me.
PD5 - WHEELS, 18" CHROME (REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS)

or at least that's what my build sheet says....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts