Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it is time for me to get out the fire hose, hit everyone with some cold water and beat back the recent rise in expectations. The recent EOP Headquarters call posts have rapidly gone from "they still think October delivery" to "she said end of July delivery".

Many have been reading that Pontiac/GM wants these cars right before shipping. Well that is all fine and good. But when you hear them say it and see it in their eyes (as we have on the dealer broadcasts), it takes on a whole new meaning. A meaning that is hard to put into words. These cars will be inspected and checked and they will not ship until they are right. Even the beginning of 2006 G6 production was held without shipping until everything was checked out.

Pontiac hopes to work up to a 56 unit per day output for the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices. So you can see it will take time. And re-read may last expectation limiting post here from May 28th . Even the first car off the line could take weeks to get to its destination. So I can't picture any July deliveries. And even early August would be doubtful.

These calls and the start of regular allocation are all signs that Pontiac/GM feels it is ready to make the final step to production.

Lets go back to the "October but hoping for sooner" that we had gown somewhat comfortable with after Lori Queen's blog post, and forget this "end of July". It now appears that the "sooner" will be the winning bet. In the end it will be the better way to go, surprise vs. disappointment.

Also keep in mind that we are entering the part of the journey where we swing behind the moon. All communication will be lost with GM for the two week summer shutdown.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks small_dealer...always the voice of reason :)

I just hope when we get out from behind the dark side of the moon we don't have to radio "Houston we have a problem" :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dark side of the moon,Floyd boys,I know that album.Hope Pontiac gets thier Great Gig in the Sky together.(Sky?) :skep: :cool:

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, a Pink Floyd reference and not gamer slang. Back in the comfort zone. :lol:

Even though the only record I have is The Wall. Please don't make me explain what a record is. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why increase our expectations?

Small Dealer said:
Looks like it is time for me to get out the fire hose, hit everyone with some cold water and beat back the recent rise in expectations. The recent EOP Headquarters call posts have rapidly gone from "they still think October delivery" to "she said end of July delivery".

Small Dealer,

It's not that I think you won't be correct, but someone is giving a script to the EOP callers that says "delivery could be as early as the end of July or the first part of August". Are we being purposely mislead by GM and if so, why? Why would they want to increase expectations when we were all beginning to get comfortable with September/October? That's what got them into trouble in the first place. I can't believe they want another minor uprising like they went through approximately a month ago that led to having console us with gifts. What would GM have to gain at this point by increasing expectations? Your thoughts? :skep:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sol Deep said:
Small Dealer said:

Small Dealer,

It's not that I think you won't be correct, but someone is giving a script to the EOP callers that says "delivery could be as early as the end of July or the first part of August". Are we being purposely mislead by GM and if so, why? Why would they want to increase expectations when we were all beginning to get comfortable with September/October? That's what got them into trouble in the first place. I can't believe they want another minor uprising like they went through approximately a month ago that led to having console us with gifts. What would GM have to gain at this point by increasing expectations? Your thoughts? :skep:
GM planned to send the gifts in the first place. It wasn't just a to console people.

Maybe GM is very hopeful they can get some Sol's delivered early. However, I would srress that some does not mean all, or even a lot.

Take this as another "update" from Pontiac. As Small Dealer said, it is a sign they are getting very close to starting production. However, even if they can get some cars to dealers by end of July to early August, its certainly not going to be all of them, and it is likely to be to dealers closer to the factory, rather than farther away.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's hard to recall the exact conversation now but I thought on my call they said production starts in July and deliveries could begin in August and finish up by October, maybe sooner. I read that as kind of deliberately vague statement...could be 50 are delivered in early August and bulk in late August or September, something like that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fformula88,

I never meant to imply that I (or anyone else) thought all or most deliveries would be by the end of August. But if they can get 100 units out by mid-August, so much the better. I'll take my chances on being delivery unit number one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i just got the pontiac call this morning. the script does say delivery will start late july - early august and will continue with the expectation that first 1000 cars will all be delivered by early october (my translation.. september). she couldn't tell me where in the sequence my car would be, but said the dealers would find out shortly before delivery.
the good news for me is that they are going to ship them as they finish them. i was concerned that they would have 800 solstices sitting in a parking lot outside the plant waiting for the last 200 to come off the line before shipping to the dealers. even if i',m number 999 i'd want everyone to get their cars without any unneccessary delay.
which brings me to another point. i know these dates aren't written in stone and it's really more important for GM to get the solstices as right as they can, and if that pushes back the date, IMHO so be it- i'll still wait.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well, I finally got my call, so I just got off the phone with the EOP HQ. I also got late July or early August for the first deliveries. Somebody had mentioned in another thread that they're shooting for a July 11 start of production. So I asked if they knew when production would start and I was also told that they hope to start production on July 11, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

I'm definitely not going to be counting on it, but I got a good feeling about things being on schedule. They've warned us not to get our hopes up, but I don't think it hurts that everybody is starting to get a bit excited. Just keep in mind that they warned us about delays, so no whining if it does end up dragging into October.

B

·
0 Posts
The ONLY information I have been getting from my dealer (Quebedeaux Pontiac/GMC in Tucson, AZ) is that they are hoping for a September delivery. I still have not heard whether or not they picked up my order even though it was placed on April 30th.

I sent another Email this morning (3rd Email). If I don't get a response, I will probably go sit in the middle of the showroom until he answers my questions. LOL

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm still hopeful for an early October arrival :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
The ONLY information I have been getting from my dealer (Quebedeaux Pontiac/GMC in Tucson, AZ) is that they are hoping for a September delivery. I still have not heard whether or not they picked up my order even though it was placed on April 30th.

I sent another Email this morning (3rd Email). If I don't get a response, I will probably go sit in the middle of the showroom until he answers my questions. LOL
They don't really have any more information for you. The only reason some of us have been getting calls is because of the "First 1000" thing and it's just general information anyway. But I think September delivery is a stretch for yours. The "First 1000" will definitely be produced first, and then I believe I heard that they're going to complete the rest of the orders that were entered during the Early Order Program (April 15 - April 24) before moving on to the regular allocation orders. If so, that's something like 6500 orders ahead of you. I'm guessing yours will be closer to the end of the year. Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Also keep in mind any dates are subject to change. The slightest issue will just push everybody back I'm sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Ah, a Pink Floyd reference and not gamer slang. Back in the comfort zone. :lol:

Even though the only record I have is The Wall. Please don't make me explain what a record is. :)
To my new solstice: "wish you were here"

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
PubliusE said:
Pink who?

Obviously from someone born after about 1985! What great music you have missed!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SlySol said:
The "First 1000" will definitely be produced first, and then I believe I heard that they're going to complete the rest of the orders that were entered during the Early Order Program (April 15 - April 24) before moving on to the regular allocation orders. If so, that's something like 6500 orders ahead of you. I'm guessing yours will be closer to the end of the year. Good luck though.
SlySol,

One correction to what you were saying.

The production order should be as follows:
1. The First 1000 orders.
2. Orders for the two make-up groups (2 Years Free Maintenance and Zero Zippers).
[Once GM realized the internet errors experienced by some during the EOP event on April 15th, these two make-up groups were created. They will be built after the First 1000, but before the regular four month allocation orders.]
3. First Four Month Allocation.

There is no special group for the Early Order Program Orders that didn't make it into the First 1000. Any orders placed after 2:42ish on April 15th started immediately being applied against the indivdual dealer's first four month allocation.

So anyone who didn't get into the First 1000 or one of the two make-up groups will be dealer allocation regardless of when they placed their order. Where they fall within their dealer's allocation depends on the quantity available in ther dealer's allocation and how many people placed orders ahead of them at that local dealer, not when they placed an order in relation to everyone in the whole country.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
PAS22 said:
Obviously from someone born after about 1985! What great music you have missed!

Obviously, you missed my Avatar! Obviously, you missed the reference to my screen name. Obviously, you don't know the Floyd as well as you think.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
PubliusE said:
Obviously, you missed my Avatar! Obviously, you missed the reference to my screen name. Obviously, you don't know the Floyd as well as you think.
I recognized the avatar! And while I was reading, XM Top Tracks-46 was streaming them with Have A Cigar.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1389

Perhaps if you had asked "which one's Pink?" instead of "Pink who?", PAS22 may have picked up on it. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts