Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://autos.msn.com/advice/articles/previews/default.aspx?page=4&xml=spring2006#top

A number of new products for 2006 will be wearing the Pontiac name, including a couple of convertibles and a new SUV. The most anticipated convertible is a new roadster called the Solstice. The stylish 2-seater is very close to the concept shown at the auto show in Detroit a few years ago, and will sport a 2.4-liter variable-valve Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine producing about 170 horsepower, teamed with a close-ratio five-speed manual transmission. Eighteen-inch wheels with 4-wheel disc brakes will be standard, and a removable hardtop will be an available option. The Solstice will take its place as the flagship of the Pontiac lineup when it arrives in showrooms later this year.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Nix Sol said:
Whoa! Interesting...anyone else think MSN is just blowing this out of thier @$$?
I think it's more of MSN just regurgitating what everyone else has been saying.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Yea apparently they didn't even get the memo about 177HP (still saying 170).
It's really odd. The 177HP has been on the Pontiac site for several months now. But all these articles are still saying 170HP. Maybe they're getting old documentation from the media.gm.com site without taking the time to see if there has been updates?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Maybe they just figure that horsepower isn't really worth mentioning a change unless it's 10 or more. like if it was 180 they'd say that, but since 177 is only 7 more HP... "eh, just tell em it's got 170."

which doesn't make much sense to you and me, but for people that AREN'T into cars to talk about them... they couldn't care less. they just make generalizations and say stuff like, 'oh it's a convertible.' Whereas we know of it as a roadster, because we're automotive enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dori-san said:
Maybe they just figure that horsepower isn't really worth mentioning a change unless it's 10 or more. like if it was 180 they'd say that, but since 177 is only 7 more HP... "eh, just tell em it's got 170."

which doesn't make much sense to you and me, but for people that AREN'T into cars to talk about them... they couldn't care less. they just make generalizations and say stuff like, 'oh it's a convertible.' Whereas we know of it as a roadster, because we're automotive enthusiasts.
Then you'd think they would round up wouldn't they? Why round down!!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Then you'd think they would round up wouldn't they? Why round down!!
true. but how are us enthusiasts ever gonna understand why non-enthusiasts do what they do? it's like losing your virginity, you can think back to the times when you used to be just a guy who drove whatever he had and didn't know anything about cars. but once you come over to the car lover side, you can't ever go back to not knowing about cars. so all we can do is speculate on how we might have thought about things had we not gotten into cars. you'll never know for sure though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hope it's true. I soooooo want a hardtop. I live in Oregon and would love to be able to use that gorgeous car during the rainy months...

·
Registered
144 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
The Solstice will take its place as the flagship of the Pontiac lineup when it arrives in showrooms later this year.
Why would the Solstice be considered the flagship? I always thought that term applied to the biggest, best-selling or most expensive car in the line-up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
Why would the Solstice be considered the flagship? I always thought that term applied to the biggest, best-selling or most expensive car in the line-up.
Flagship probably isn't the best word to describe it. Halo Car is more of what GM is trying to do with the Solstice and Sky. They used that word [halo] specificaly too.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Not really flagship, but more like... a mascot. The Solstice is obviously the best looking Pontiac so it will be the one that attracts more people into the dealership and they may end up buying something else. You don't see anybody glancing at a Vibe on the road and saying 'whoa, that car looks sweet! I think I want a Pontiac now.' The Solstices on the road are going to be traveling advertisements for Pontiac, being the 'main attraction' for the whole division.

edit: brentil posted while I was typing. yeah... halo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts