Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I use the term correctly, as George Carlin pointed out. If the collision is avoided it's a "near hit". If you "nearly missed" something, that means you hit it!

Wife parked the truck in the driveway in front of the empty stall (2 car garage) which tells me she has intentions of driving the Solstice on Sunday. Weather held out so we took it into town. (She still giggles out loud driving it.)

On our way home she takes the twisty route. We come over a rise in the road and at the bottom of the gulley is a bird on some road kill. She makes the assumption that the diner will leave the dinee in time. Turns out to be a red tail hawk and he's hungry enough he's going to try to take dinner with him but it's a tad heavier than he thought. He can't get enough altitude and the wife doesn't slow down. Thunk off the front of the car! (The hawk peels away over my head.)

Wife says nothing. I say nothing. About 2 minutes later I turn the stereo down and say "Everything is fine, honey."

"Oh, you SAY that, but I know how you THINK!" (Like I'm a big prick or something?) lol!

"I'm probably just going to be picking some dead meat our of the grill."

Nothing. Not a scratch. Since last fall I've nearly tagged 2 deer, a turkey, and now we finally hit something! I was really kind of hoping to get the front end repainted! :lol:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Glad there was no damage. Nothing's worst that hitting something that just can't be avoided.

Didn't remember the "Near Miss" bit from George Carlin. Classic...

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I love George Carlin. good for you keeping your cool, I'd have yelled every curse work I know at my wife and probably took over the driving!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 06(NA) manual bought new in January 2006, I had a few close calls with trucks and suvs, need to remember to stay out of their blind spots. My wife, is afraid of putting a scratch or dent on the car when she drives it, just remind her to not to park it near anyone.
She won't even think about driving the 09(NA) coupe.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The only problem I have is backing out. with the top on, you have a huge blind spot.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw, the blind spot is only the 180 degrees behind you. lol

Always vigilant in parking lots also, especially after a member here posted the observation that you're below most SUV window bottoms.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
FYI: At somewhere around 100 MPH, there isn't a bird on the planet that seems capable of gaining enough altitude quickly enough to avoid getting sucked down by the turbulence and smacking the front end of the car somewhere.

I've lost count.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The only problem I have is backing out. with the top on, you have a huge blind spot.
I installed a backup camera on my solstice using and Onclave rear view mirror.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How did it cost to have a backup camera installed?

I almost hit two cats. One took off fairly quickly but the other sat there until the last second playing chicken. I was barely able to brake at the last second and turn in to avoid hitting it. If I had turned in any sooner, I would have hit the other one running off on that side.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
You should have told her to quit falcon around and watch the road! ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
I tell my wife to enjoy her car. If she picks up dings, . .. when she picks up dings, I fix them or we get Jeff to clean them up every six months or so. Its a lot better to have her relaxed and enjoying her car than being constantly worried and stressed.

I looked long and hard at backup cameras. The wife will NOT back her car up. I finally just changed our parking procedure. She puts the car in the driveway or any where close LOL. Then I back it into the garage in its marked parking space.

She is happy. I am happy. And she enjoys driving her car.:thumbs::grouphug::thumbs:

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
And I use the term correctly, as George Carlin pointed out. If the collision is avoided it's a "near hit". If you "nearly missed" something, that means you hit it!
The other one that has never made any sense to me is 'He had a meteoric rise'... Well newsflash - no meteor has ever risen anywhere, they have all fallen in flames. If I were a pop star or politician, I'm not sure I'd want anyone referring to my progress as being meteoric!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I think I read too fast and missed the part where it was HER car. if that were the case at my house then I'd know everything is fine cause the only car she seems to hit birds, rocks and curbs is my cars. it was nice yesterday and she talked me into taking the solstice. at about noon I thought to myself, I hope she knows that the top is not automatic and you have to be stopped before hitting the button and unlatching it. Came back in one piece so I can't complain.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TX - no, in our case it is "our" car. In Rob's case, he obviously felt guilty about all the time and affection he's been giving Punisher so he bought his better half her OWN Kappa.

: )

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I tell my wife to enjoy her car. If she picks up dings, . .. when she picks up dings, I fix them or we get Jeff to clean them up every six months or so. Its a lot better to have her relaxed and enjoying her car than being constantly worried and stressed.

I looked long and hard at backup cameras. The wife will NOT back her car up. I finally just changed our parking procedure. She puts the car in the driveway or any where close LOL. Then I back it into the garage in its marked parking space.

She is happy. I am happy. And she enjoys driving her car.:thumbs::grouphug::thumbs:
You're great, RTE!!! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Last year while cruisin' through the countryside, a bobcat came streaking across a field and smack dab into the lower passenger side quarter panel of my baby. I couldn't swerve to miss him cuz there was a car next to me and I couldn't stop - too many cars behind me. My car has a small dent, but it's in a place where you can't really see it unless you look real close, but I know it's there and it bothers me. :( I really felt bad for the cat, but more so for my car.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, if you run into an animal, feel bad. If an animal runs into YOU, don't feel bad - he deserved it. lol!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts