Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all of this forum. I can't express how helpful many of you have been in guiding me in my search to finally buy my dream car -- well at least one that is financially within my reach.:) Even with that said, I believe this car is one of the best looking on the road, regardless of price. So I've been lurking on these forums since 2006. Always looking, reading up, in the hopes that one day things would present themselves such that I could buy.

I've had a number of false starts over the past few years, but got more serious over the last few months. I wanted an 07-09, manual, one owner, victory red GXP with low mileage. I got close on a couple this year, but in the end the owners and I just couldn't get close enough on price.

So, last week one popped up a few hours from my home down near Cincinnati at a Ford dealer. It was traded in, had ~9800 miles, one owner, manual and victory red, 2008. I didn't get my hopes up but started negotiations with the dealer (Mike Castrucci) via texts and phone and settled on a very good number. The wife and I drove down the next morning to have an up close look. It looked better than the pictures. I could tell it had an aftermarket exhaust by the pictures that were posted, but couldn't tell which one. Upon closer inspection, it had the GMPP exhaust - I was pleasantly surprised. Next, we hopped in for a ride and off we went. Right then I knew I was going to buy it but turned into a parking lot to have a closer look at everything without anyone from the dealer breathing down my neck. Got out of the car and looked around, not a ding, dent or scratch on the body. A few scratches under the front bumper cover, to be expected I guess. Then I opened the hood, and found two bonuses. It had the GMPP CAI and GMPP tune (I could tell by the blue Bosch sensors). Now I am really excited. I'm thinking this dealer doesn't know what they have. Then I open the trunk, GM Solstice car cover. Ok, settle down, get back in the car. While looking at the interior, I now notice the GM fly swatter wind deflector. The smile on my face gets wider. Take the car on the highway and return to the dealer to finalize the deal and drive it home. I've never won anything in my life but feel like I did here.

The only downside of course now is waiting for the weather to turn around to be able to get it back on the road. Right now I just go into my garage and sit to look at it, or get in and crank up some tunes. I marvel at the technology that was used to make this car. Upper and lower aluminum control arms, low displacement high HP, front brake cooling ducts, hydroformed body panels, the list goes on. I actually like the roof design, a real engineering feat. Little details here and there are really neat considering the budget constraints that this car was created under. One day they will get their due respect and believe their worth will rise.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this site, your knowledge and willingness to share was and is fantastic. I hope to keep this car long into the future.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Wow, looks like you really lucked into one there. :willy: Congratulations.
I wasn't able to buy one when they were being made new either and I had a similar search when I was looking for mine. I didn't luck into all of the GM extra's though. Once the weather gets nice for you and you can drive your Solstice on a regular basis you wont believe how much fun these cars are. Enjoy. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Congrats. You found the right car. It sounds impressive, and you will love It. I have had my yellow GXP 2 1/2 years, and and enjoy it more than ever. Two suggestions...toss the fly swatter and get a Windrestricter (looks MUCH better), and spring for a set of performance tires. Then all will be perfect. Above all, have fun.

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I bought my red GXP in November of 07 and still love it.

Nice find.

Recommend you put it on a battery tender. Going out to take a spin and finding a dead batter is not a happy experience.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Welcome,
did you look underneath and see if had any of the suspension mods?.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sounds like a great find Mike! :thumbs: Nice story too. Celebrate with an Antonio's or Angie's pizza with the wife while the Solstice is hibernating.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Battery tender is taking care of business in the garage now. When I attached it I found another thing they did, brand new AC Delco battery. :willy: However, it does not appear that I lucked into the ZOK suspension bits.

Wife is a fan of Antonio's. :)

Mike

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Congrats, but something tells me you bought the Witzenburg Solstice book at some point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny, that book is on my Christmas list. Most anything I know I got from reading this forum and various articles on the web. I kind of research things to death sometimes. :crazy:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
You'll enjoy it because the author was given special access to all the players involved, and it's written from a point A (the Solstice genesis) to point B (Solstice production) narrative. It also helps the reader to appreciate & understand the intricacies involved in bringing a car to market within GM. I just wished the author would of followed-up with a rest of the story addendum after the Kappa program was canceled.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Wow, grats on the lucky buy man :-D Who doesn't love freebies!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts