Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are plenty of threads on the subject, but I'm stuck as I install the new head unit into my Solstice. I turn to the gurus who have been doing this for far longer than I have here, as I am a novice at best (I've done a few things, but never this comprehensive...)

I've been searching up and down the forum and beyond for as much info as possible. There are a lot of good threads/info, but many of the photos have gone to the great internet graveyard in the cloud, so some of the descriptions are hard to follow.

First, the car. It's a 2007 GXP. Automatic Transmission, No Monsoon, No Onstar. No XM. I'm not replacing the speakers, or adding an amp/sub at this time.

What I am adding is:
Kenwood Excelon DMX706S from Crutchfield
With that I got the:
Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
Metra 95-3302 Dash Kit
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 Wiring Interface
I also had Crutchfield put the main harness together.​
Boyo VTL17IRTJ Universal backup cam​
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
I also have a USB extender with a flush mound Dash input that I would like to place somewhere near the transmission tunnel/center console and wire back to the receiver​

I'm not having much trouble with the receiver installation, .I had Crutchfield do the harness for me. Though even with the harness service, there are non connected wires from the Axxess ASWC-1 that I can't figure out where they connect too. There is no connector, they are just loose. I'm going to have to call them on that.

I have the boomerang removed, and hanging from the review mirror with a bungee cord. I unplugged all of the HVAC controls, the interior light dimming switch and the traction control on/off switch. The plug for the traction control switch looks odd, and I wonder if I broke it. But I will worry about that when I start putting it back together.

The original receiver has been removed. I've installed the plate bracket mount back up camera, but this is where I'm stuck.

I don't know how to route the wires from the back to the front. I've got the wire up through the plate lite hole, into that gap between the trunk tub and the rear end. I suppose I'm going to have to drill into the trunk and rout it up to the rear wall between the cabin and the trunk. No problem with that, but how do I get it into the cabin from the trunk at this point?

I've seen references to going through existing wire grommets, under the door sill, and behind the glove box to the back of the receiver, but I can't. find where that is. Should I remove the rear wall trim? (I'm not sure how to do that), and the rear passenger wheel well liner to find that? Is there another route? Do I need to drill through and add another grommet?

Also, The receiver had input for the camera to tell it when the car is backing up. But it also has, near the camera end of the system, the black (ground), and red (12 V) that I assume I'm going to have to tap into the rear back up lights to power. Anyone have a good link to the process of doing this? Or at least removing the tail light?

I need some hand holding and some pictures if possible on this.

I'm also not sure where I'm going to add the XM antenna. I'm thinking out side on the black plastic part near the windshield wipers (it's magnetic mount, but I could use some 3M tape) but I don't know how I'm going to route that wire through the firewall into the cabin to the receiver hole. Will it work on the dash through the front window if I just mount it there? This was a freebie add on that I got for being a longtime subscriber in my other cars, so I'm not sure I'll use it, if its too much trouble....but I'd like to have it.

I also would take any input in a good place to put the USB, and how to route that cord to the back of the receiver.

Any input, help, comments, or links to good resources would be appreciated. I've been scouring YouTube for a week, but I haven't found a good comprehensive source of instruction/tips, etc... I'll also add pictures when I get home from work and start working again. I'm only about 3 hours into the project.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i'm puzzled too because if you had Crutchfield make the harness for you it should literally be plug and play. Crutchfield has been extremely helpful in solving any problems i may have had, so give them a call

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm puzzled too because if you had Crutchfield make the harness for you it should literally be plug and play. Crutchfield has been extremely helpful in solving any problems i may have had, so give them a call

Bill
Yeah, I'm gonna call them. I had them do the harness so I wouldn’t have to figure out where these all go... but here they are coming out of the harness...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
lol.... i SEE your dilemma, Crutchfield sometimes has extra wires but in this case they owe you an explanation...

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I may be able to help a little. As to the interior panels, they just snap out, but have to come out in a certain order. If I remember correctly, the center console snaps out, rearmost part first with the emergency brake on. Next would be the door sills, Then the tubs behind the seats. Under the waterfall just on top of the between seat glove box, there is room for an XM antenna. that is where I mounted my GPS antenna. I thnk I ran my wiring for the backup camera through the center console. Once you get the interior panels out, you will find all sorts options for running the wiring. Backup camera wiring for on and off was just a matter of removing one rear tire (either side) and removing the inner wheel liner to gain access to the backup lamp, then just tap into the hot and ground leading to the lamp. Then just bring the wires up through the large hole just to the rear of the tail lamp and lead them wherever you like. I seem to recall having some loose wire ends as well but don't remember how many. I drove Crutchfield crazy with phone calls and emails but I must say they have an excellent customer service team and they held my hand all the way through my installation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call Crutchfield.
I did the same type of install over the winter. I ended up calling them 5 or 6 days in a row. Since I'm dumb as a box of rocks, with this type of work. I only attempted to do one step at a time (therefore the repeated calls to Crutchfield).
I also couldn't figure out where to put the new XM antenna. Eventually I magnetically put it on the outside top of the windshield surround. I routed the wire under the gasket around the windshield, down thru the fender/door frame to the module that I Ty-wrapped to the right & behind the glove compartment. Biggest problem was keeping the module from interfering with the glove compartment. The XM antenna doesn't look too goofy & because of the magnetic mount, I can always move it later.
Good luck with the install & one further word of advice:

Call Crutchfield!

When you figure out how to see the screen in the sun, please let me know,
G.W.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call Crutchfield.
I did the same type of install over the winter. I ended up calling them 5 or 6 days in a row. Since I'm dumb as a box of rocks, with this type of work. I only attempted to do one step at a time (therefore the repeated calls to Crutchfield).
I also couldn't figure out where to put the new XM antenna. Eventually I magnetically put it on the outside top of the windshield surround. I routed the wire under the gasket around the windshield, down thru the fender/door frame to the module that I Ty-wrapped to the right & behind the glove compartment. Biggest problem was keeping the module from interfering with the glove compartment. The XM antenna doesn't look too goofy & because of the magnetic mount, I can always move it later.
Good luck with the install & one further word of advice:

Call Crutchfield!

When you figure out how to see the screen in the sun, please let me know,
G.W.
How to see the screen in the sun? Live in Mid-Michigan where the sun is only out 25% of the time!

I've seen people mount the antenna on the black plastic part with 3M tape and routed the cord into the cabin though the fire wall or something. Really hides it and gives it a line of site (there is plenty of room). I may do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be able to help a little. As to the interior panels, they just snap out, but have to come out in a certain order. If I remember correctly, the center console snaps out, rearmost part first with the emergency brake on. Next would be the door sills, Then the tubs behind the seats. Under the waterfall just on top of the between seat glove box, there is room for an XM antenna. that is where I mounted my GPS antenna. I thnk I ran my wiring for the backup camera through the center console. Once you get the interior panels out, you will find all sorts options for running the wiring. Backup camera wiring for on and off was just a matter of removing one rear tire (either side) and removing the inner wheel liner to gain access to the backup lamp, then just tap into the hot and ground leading to the lamp. Then just bring the wires up through the large hole just to the rear of the tail lamp and lead them wherever you like. I seem to recall having some loose wire ends as well but don't remember how many. I drove Crutchfield crazy with phone calls and emails but I must say they have an excellent customer service team and they held my hand all the way through my installation.
Do the tubs behind the seat's come out individually, or is it one big pieces behind both seats?, and are there any screws at all? Coming up through the middle past the shift lever into the back of the radio area would be ideal...especially if I don't have to drill. I have the passage door sill off, then there is a plastic interior part that goes up the side, and then the tub (where the subwoofer would be if I had one)? That's just clipped on, with no screws (I didn't find any outside of the ones in the center compartment).?

So your GPS antenna is under the plastic tubs, or just attached to the plastic on the outside? Does it need line of sight for reception? (Does it get it when the top is up if inside the car?)

Thanks everyone. I'll have time to work on it tonight/call Crutchfields, etc...

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Do the tubs behind the seat's come out individually, or is it one big pieces behind both seats?, and are there any screws at all?
The waterfall behind the seats is all one piece. You must first remove the door sill plates, then the rear corner plates to the left shoulder of the driver and the right shoulder of the passenger. Then the center arm rest must come out. Then you can remove the back waterfall panel. All are clips, there are no screws in any of those panels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The waterfall behind the seats is all one piece. You must first remove the door sill plates, then the rear corner plates to the left shoulder of the driver and the right shoulder of the passenger. Then the center arm rest must come out. Then you can remove the back waterfall panel. All are clips, there are no screws in any of those panels.
Looks like that's my next task... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Looks like that's my next task... Thanks!
Do the tubs behind the seat's come out individually, or is it one big pieces behind both seats?, and are there any screws at all? Coming up through the middle past the shift lever into the back of the radio area would be ideal...especially if I don't have to drill. I have the passage door sill off, then there is a plastic interior part that goes up the side, and then the tub (where the subwoofer would be if I had one)? That's just clipped on, with no screws (I didn't find any outside of the ones in the center compartment).?

So your GPS antenna is under the plastic tubs, or just attached to the plastic on the outside? Does it need line of sight for reception? (Does it get it when the top is up if inside the car?)

Thanks everyone. I'll have time to work on it tonight/call Crutchfields, etc...
My GPS antenna is inside the center waterfall. It does not require line of sight reception. The waterfall is plastic and fiberglass and will not block the incoming signal. works great with top up also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My GPS antenna is inside the center waterfall. It does not require line of sight reception. The waterfall is plastic and fiberglass and will not block the incoming signal. works great with top up also.
I'm gonna try that I think, I just hope the XM single is similar. That would be the perfect spot for any of that stuff.

Any idea (not just from joybill44) about where to mount a USB (in addition to the Lighter spot)? Was thinking on the boomerang, but I think it'd be better in the middle, maybe under the cup holder in the center if there is room (and if it's flat enough?)

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I'm gonna try that I think, I just hope the XM single is similar. That would be the perfect spot for any of that stuff.

Any idea (not just from joybill44) about where to mount a USB (in addition to the Lighter spot)? Was thinking on the boomerang, but I think it'd be better in the middle, maybe under the cup holder in the center if there is room (and if it's flat enough?)
I temporarily ran my USB receptacle from the head unit to the glove box. Not necessary to drill or mount anything. Since I use bluetooth for jst about everything, I found that I didn't use the USB port all that much and I just left it there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I temporarily ran my USB receptacle from the head unit to the glove box. Not necessary to drill or mount anything. Since I use bluetooth for jst about everything, I found that I didn't use the USB port all that much and I just left it there.
I don't want to stick my phone in my glove box (I'd leave it in there too much., and the receiver I got is not CarPlay Bluetooth. I'm likely going to keep it in the OEM Saddle bag thing I have, so I would like to be close to that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Removing the back tub panel behind the seats right now. The service manual says there are two bolts/screws in the cubby that need to be removed before I can pull the panel off. When I got to do that I find this:

2 empty holes where the screws should be? Or are the screws in there? What kind of screw/bolt?

I am the 2nd owner...the original owner said the car was stock and I have seen no evidence of modifications...unless something was fixed I don’t know why they would be removed?

any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just looking between tulip and the panel by prying a bit back, looks like there are no screws or nuts....

Doggo showing it off:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts