Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I never even know the Solstice or Sky even existed until a couple days ago. I learned of there arrivals because of that huge ad on Yahoo's front page with the many bashing and stupid reviewers that never actually seen the car in person let alone know what its capable of. That aside, yahoo did provide a valuable service as that I'm already sold on one of the two cars and they are not even out yet.

I have always wanted a convertible roadster with class and a nice performance package to boast. But they have always been out of my price range and the irony of this concept is that I'm a diehard ford guy and I'm going to make the switch in a couple years to the Solstice or Sky. I know it for a fact, without a doubt… I am there. Why? GM has done something that Chrysler and other car makes are doing which is brilliant business. They are offering elegant styled and classy automobiles at common man prices. A few years ago I would have laughed at the thought of owning a Saturn or even Pontiac (With the exception of the GTO, I'm a very big fan of the GTO) and now I'm willing to leave my ford behind and never look back.

My reasons behind such an interest in this car or the sky are not limited to the styling. Both cars look fantastic. They have a completely different feel to each one.. For some reason the Solstice feels classier like a BMW or Infinity to me. It just looks like it cost more than 19k (Base), 25 (Loaded), when you look at it you think man that’s a nice car I wonder what that guy paid for it. The Sky has more of the sporty Acura NSX feel to me. Although I'm not even trying to compare the two, it's just the feeling I get when I look at them. Deciding between those two will be the hardest part of this entire switch, even harder for me than it is to ditch my beloved Ford.

I like the engine. Not because it's a small four cylinder. But because that engine will be easy to design aftermarket parts for and that notoriously it's less expensive aftermarket wise to build up a four cylinder than a 6 or an 8. I also believe that a few years after its released when I should be getting mine, there will more than likely be a turbo charged version much like the one rumored to be on the Sky. I don’t know if that will make the price rocket, I honestly don’t see the Saturn coming in at a base price of 25k, if it did that wouldn't be a great start for the sky as many of the people who are on the fence already between the Solstice and the Sky will not pay 30 or more for a Saturn, when they can have a beautiful Pontiac solstice for 25k fully loaded out the door.. And even if it didn’t include the turbo option, I got a feeling aftermarket kits will be around for purchase rather it be through a major company like Pro-charger or Vortec, or through Pontiac themselves.

The suspension in design is a work of art. From someone who has a long history in the racing sport trust me that this cars handling should be amazing. What good is having 300 horsepower if the car can't turn around a tight corner without losing the rear end? This car will not only in my opinion be available with a turbo 250 horsepower option, but it will corner much more effectively and because of the weight and suspension eat up many of the higher horsepower cars which suspension wasn’t the primary concern. I've driven very nice 300-400 horsepower cars. And I've gone down to my local mountain twistys and had guys on Volkswagen Baja bugs beat the piss out of me because I couldn’t take the corners as well. Suspension is as much important as horsepower in my opinion and I think a lot of reviewers, especially ones that don’t know much about cars in general are going to bash it.

I'm predicting that the base price for the Saturn sky will come in around 22, and fully loaded 25-26k. And the Solstice will max out about the same. Once your car hits the 30's your in a whole different world of competition and I think most people look at the 30k and say well I could always drop an extra five and get the G35 or 350z, or some other alternative. I know that I'd go for a GTO instead if I was going to drop 30 or more on a car. Because of that I don’t believe the cars will cost much more than 25k, if at all over that for either of the two. And if GM wants Saturn to kind of get back into the game, launching a 25k base car when the alternative Pontiac is only 19k base would be a horrific mistake and I doubt they are that stupid to try it.

Anyway, lots of rambling but I get excited sometimes. I can't wait to see the reviews, hopefully some of them will be leaked out this summer. Can't wait already to get mine in a few years.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome CDRacing :cheers:

You've come to the right place for Solstice nuts :cool:

Having come from yahoo you'll be interested in our thread on it over in the news section (we had some reactions to those comments too :lol: )

No one is sure but our guess is the Sky will have more base options and come in around 24k. You won't be able to strip it down like the Solstice. It's a guess since GM has been trying to upscale Saturn.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums CDRacingZX6R.

The Sky will base "below $25k" according to the information provided. The reason it bases ~$25k is because it will have pretty much all of the Solstice options as the base options. There will be less to tack on top of that though too. So say the Solstice starts at $19,995, it has enough optiosn to bring it into the $25,000 range. However the Sky starts at ~$25,000 but only has maybe $1k-$2k worth of options. Part of it also has to do with the Sky also having Stabilitrack (there's an on/off button on the console at least) as an option (or base, we don't know yet) where the Solstice does not yet. It also has to do with GM moving Saturn more upscale as well. Saturn should be moving closer to where Oldsmobile used to be with cars like the Sky and Aura.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mceb said:
Welcome CDRacing :cheers:

You've come to the right place for Solstice nuts :cool:

Having come from yahoo you'll be interested in our thread on it over in the news section (we had some reactions to those comments too :lol: )

No one is sure but our guess is the Sky will have more base options and come in around 24k. You won't be able to strip it down like the Solstice. It's a guess since GM has been trying to upscale Saturn.

Actually, the news section is why I brought up the yahoo news.. I know theres a little bit of hate flowing for Yahoo's stupid reviewers, but the publicity in my opinion is well worth the stupidy parts. I just hope the general consumer isn't that stupid.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SolsticeWolf said:
:cheers: Welcome to the forum, friend! Great post, very detailed. We're all friends here so you've found a great bunch of folks. :party:
Wish I found this forum sooner. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
Welcome to the forums CDRacingZX6R.

The Sky will base "below $25k" according to the information provided. The reason it bases ~$25k is because it will have pretty much all of the Solstice options as the base options. There will be less to tack on top of that though too. So say the Solstice starts at $19,995, it has enough optiosn to bring it into the $25,000 range. However the Sky starts at ~$25,000 but only has maybe $1k-$2k worth of options. Part of it also has to do with the Sky also having Stabilitrack (there's an on/off button on the console at least) as an option (or base, we don't know yet) where the Solstice does not yet. It also has to do with GM moving Saturn more upscale as well. Saturn should be moving closer to where Oldsmobile used to be with cars like the Sky and Aura.

I really hope your right... Because once you hit the 30's its over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts