Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am just another new guy. I have a few questions for any one willing to answer them. First, will it be driftable? I mean it seems like its low in weight, decent horsepower and torque. I am more interested in drifting which has come over from japan and i was wondering how any of you thought it might do. It seems like it would do ok since it is being compared to the S2000 and the Miatia, which both are driftable. Second, might there be an aftermarket for it? Body kits, turbos, things of that nature? But if there looking at keeping it at a "old-fashioned" roadster and keeping it stock. It will be interesting to see which way it goes, either way it still looks like a fun little ride.
Which brings me to my third question. I am interested in getting one, but dont have the $20,000 base price. How much down would I need to get this car if say i didnt have the greatest credit. Oh and my dad works for GM so i would get the employee discounts and what not. I'm 20 years old and am working at a Subway (where starving artists, haha get it sandwich artists, starving artists, i crack my self up). i have no expenices so i would be happy to put my whole check in into my car haha.
This car should bring new blood into pontiac, i've always tought they had some ok cars just rough around the edges some times. This car looks like its got no edges. This coming from some one who dreams of having a 93 mazda RX-7. But hey if I can get a Solstice I just might have to dream of this two seater of a beast. Thank you all for reading my rambleing, And a Special thanks to any one who can answer my questions. Zero376
PS if pontiac is willing to start a drift team with this car like they did with the GTO let me know i wouldnt mind trying out for a driving position, hehe :thumbs

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wecome zero.
The Solstice should be great at drifting! As good or better than a Miata or S2000! I've read that GM is taking great pains to make it handle well and flat. But what it has that they don't is low end grunt or more torque at just off idle. Besides trailing brakeing and E brakeing you should be able to power slide a lot easier 'cuz you won't have to keep the rev's as high.

I'm positive there will be an aftermarket for it, but it will take time. I expect GM dealers will be the first and will have after market stuff just a few months after it hits the showroom. Summit, NOPI and others will have things, I predict, by Christmas. Body kits next spring. Course these are just guesses on my part, but knowing there is a bigger market on custom add ons for cheaper cars 'cuz there's money left in people's pockets to buy extra goodies, it doesn't take long for companies to come up with things.

As far as the down payment and things like that, there's all kinds of ways to go. Best advise I can give you is start saving what a monthly payment will be on a $20,000 note. You can find that amount on the net. The bigger down the better and it helps you get used to it. And, of course, if you can twist your dad's arm into co-signing, the interest rates they charge drops from "ridiculous" to "next to nothing".

·
5,600 Posts
zero376 said:
Hello all, I am just another new guy. I have a few questions for any one willing to answer them. First, will it be driftable?
I would say yes, but it might help to remove the P245s for some P195s. :lol

(This car seems way over-tired.)

·
Registered
527 Posts
The car will be great for drifting.

If you can't afford the 20k price, wait two years and buy a higher mileage used one for 10k. Besides, your dad, as well as many of the forum members, might take offense at you abusing a brand new Solstice at the Nopi show... :jester

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This is actually something I had brought up before. I had mentioned GM might actually make a profesional drift car from the Solstice to go along with the Droft GTO they already have racing profesionally. It's got the FR setup, LSD option, ok base power (GM would probably increase it because you wont be competitive with only 177HP profesionally), good skidpad, good handling supposedly, and good weight distribution.

If you go here http://www.cars.com/go/buyIndex.jsp and go to the bottom left and click "Payment Calculators." A $20,000 loan at 6.86% is $616.26 a month with no money down, and no trade in for a 3 year loan. Make that at 5 year loan and you're paying $394.70 a month. However then you're more then likely going outside the standard 3 year warranty too. Plus don't forget to add on car insurance (20 year old male is going to be expensive) and gas prices to your expenses too which depending on fuel type it requires is another easy $40 a month. You can play with the calculator to determine how much you have to put down to meet the monthly payment you know you can afford.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I see no reason this car wouldn’t make a great drift car. As was mentioned, I may change tires, but otherwise it should be good to go.

As for financing, having a decent down payment will help. A few thousand bucks to cover the cost of depreciation. Its easier to get loan approval when your not going to be upside down (owe more on the car than it is worth) during the loan.

You may also want to build up your credit a little. Do you have a credit card? If not get one. Charge some normal purchases on it that you would be buying with cash anyway (food, clothes, whatever). Don’t over indulge, and be sure to pay most or all off right away. Only buy things if you have cash for them. That will develop some credit history for you and show that you can pay you bill consistently on time.

Best of luck! Keep churning out those artistic sandwiches! :lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Check with your local credit union sometimes they beat the rates from GMAC or other lendors. I'm in michigan and our rates were well below the 6% listed in this thread.

The other thing I've heard from multiple sources is that this car will not be eligible for GMS Pricing (the family discount). I guess the GTO wasn't eligible for the first year either.

I guess you can always argue if the price goes up next year even with GMS you may not pay that much less then buying this year. (Plus you won't have to see all the other forum members crusing around in 'your car'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
zero376 said:
First, will it be driftable? I mean it seems like its low in weight, decent horsepower and torque. I am more interested in drifting which has come over from japan and i was wondering how any of you thought it might do. It seems like it would do ok since it is being compared to the S2000 and the Miatia, which both are driftable.
Today's Wall Street Journal contained a 3 page ad by GM, which states "Today, GM commits to bringing the proven safety and security of OnStar and the SabiliTrak Control System to every new retail car and truck sold in the U.S. and Canada." (1/31/2005 pages A9 -A11)

StabiliTrak is probably good news for those of us who want to keep our tires in good contact with the road. However, I'm not sure what that might mean for drifting...

We won't be able to refer to OnStar as an option anymore.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AstroDriver said:
Today's Wall Street Journal contained a 3 page ad by GM, which states "Today, GM commits to bringing the proven safety and security of OnStar and the SabiliTrak Control System to every new retail car and truck sold in the U.S. and Canada." (1/31/2005 pages A9 -A11)

StabiliTrak is probably good news for those of us who want to keep our tires in good contact with the road. However, I'm not sure what that might mean for drifting...

We won't be able to refer to OnStar as an option anymore.
We believe the Sky will have StabiliTrak or some other traction control, and there appears to be a button on the console for turning it off as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its affect on performance could depend on how well it turns off with that button. Some automakers really don't let you turn it all the way off. Off only means it is less intrusive, but still there. Its a promising safety feature to offer, which has the potential to save a lot of lives. So there may be legal concern over allowing people to totally defeat it too. However, I would hope that you could turn it off when you wanted to for optimum performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts