Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those on here that are not part of the Facebook group, here is my update that I posted there.

Sorry about the lengthy post, so if you just want to see the results drop to the bottom.
So I have been kind of tight lipped about some of the changes I've been working on for the solstice, around performance. Let me start by saying we are lucky enough to have some great vendors that support our cars and I have never had a bad experience with any of them.
For quite some time now I have been running a Trifecta Full tune on e47, purchased through the great people at DDM. It was a pretty impressive tune I thought, for my mods. However I wanted a little more out of the car but didn't want to sacrifice reliability or get so far up the spectrum that internals and/or clutch became a concern.
My current bolt on's are:
Custom cold air intake
Solo cat delete
Cat back Magnaflow dual exhaust
DDM charge pipes
AEM water meth (was really a prep for a future turbo upgrade)
Then the tune.
So I happened across a good deal on a Pwerks WR1 big wheel turbo, from their Facebook page. I bought it and knew I would have to do a tune upgrade to take advantage of it. That would have meant another 150 for the trifecta change.
This is where RPM Motor Sports comes in. I got to reading about the power they were getting out of some similarly modded cars and started chatting with their tuner Steve Kenniff on fb messenger. In the end I decided to wait on the turbo upgrade and give them a shot at tuning it.
Martin gave me a great deal on a used hp tuner interface and tune package. Going this route I will own the hp interface and that was very interesting to me as well.
I was able to log the trifecta tune before we did anything. I sent that to Steve and he sent me a dyno graph. Now I've heard a lot of people complain about the accuracy of a software dyno pull. Let me tell you this, I had 6 pulls on a fixed dyno and his numbers were spot on. If anything just a few ticks lower.
He also discovered that I was getting some knock.
Next he had me start with some base line tunes without trifecta. Only 3 more revisions and he had it dialed in. The feel of the car was way different. You could definitely feel the torque and added hp. He was able to remove the knock and make great gains! Ok, enough rambling you can see the results below. 24 more HP and 31 pound feet of torque!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Great write up....however.....be very careful with dyno pulls. Dyno pulls do not give real world driving conditions as I have found out. My p2188 CEL I keep getting is related to the inability to duplicate engine braking or idle at a light on the dyno. I'm about 80% certain that my CEL is related to my tune and 20% that it's related to my Fujita CAI. I'm working on either trying to find someone in SE Michigan that has hptuners, or buying it myself so I can try to fix my tune....

Reactions: MarkGXP

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Great write up....however.....be very careful with dyno pulls. Dyno pulls do not give real world driving conditions as I have found out. My p2188 CEL I keep getting is related to the inability to duplicate engine braking or idle at a light on the dyno. I'm about 80% certain that my CEL is related to my tune and 20% that it's related to my Fujita CAI. I'm working on either trying to find someone in SE Michigan that has hptuners, or buying it myself so I can try to fix my tune....

His car wasn't on a dyno...

thats martins virtual dyno sheet.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Is this a new tuner or is he the guy that was associated with another company that went out of business.
If this is the same people, sorry but I saw him in person in Florida and he did a terrible job using a dyno on about 15 cars that day.
He then left for the day and Dave from DDM retune a couple of the cars and the results were quite different.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Is this a new tuner or is he the guy that was associated with another company that went out of business.
If this is the same people, sorry but I saw him in person in Florida and he did a terrible job using a dyno on about 15 cars that day.
He then left for the day and Dave from DDM retune a couple of the cars and the results were quite different.
RPM Motorsports is Martin Scott from Phoenix, ex of GM Roadster, Strictly Aftermarket and now, RPM Motorsports.

He's now pitching remote tuning with a "virtual" dyno, don't know how he does that.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear you guys had some bad experiences. Not sure if it is the same tuner or not. I think a lot of Dave at DDM so nothing bad to say there at all. I just couldn't make it work out to get to him to tune. Even Trifecta did OK in my mind but I am very happy with this tune and the respect everyone's opinion here. As for his virtual Dyno, I can show 6 pulls on a physical DynoJet that are very close to his graphs. I was really shocked it was that close. They are both products of DynoJet though, so I guess that should make sense.

·
Administrator
9,723 Posts
There is no reason that a virtual dyno shouldn't be as accurate as a conventional dyno, if you put the correct information into the program and you test under constant conditions. A conventional dyno works by measuring the acceleration of a drum with a known mass. The virtual dyno works by measuring the acceleration of a car with a known mass. Hills and headwinds can skew the results, as can filling the tank with fuel or taking a passenger along for the ride, but most errors are within single digit percentages, so they really don't matter that much.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Martin and Steve have always done an exceptional job tuning my cars. They tuned my original 2006 Solstice 2.4L back in the day and recently tuned my 2009 GXP. Using the V-Tuner and doing the data log recordings is easy and a really interactive way to get the most out of your car. You not only feel the difference behind the wheel with each tuning adjustment, you get to SEE the improvements while scrolling through the data. It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Well maybe he/them learn from his mistakes, but tuning 15 cars on a Dyno and doing it poorly is what we all experience that day.
I have to say that was many years ago, but it only took DDM (not Dave it was someone else in his staff at that time plus the dyno owner) to correct the mess this guy left behind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts