Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updates for Solstice
Week of 5/16/2005
Effective 5/16/2005, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

Mechanical section-(LE5) Engine, ECOTEC 2.4L DOHC, 4-cylinder, SFI, aluminum, changed description to read "(preliminary 177 HP [132.0 kW] @ 6600 rpm, 166 lb.-ft. [224.1 N-m] @ 4800 rpm)"

Nothing new, looks like routine housekeeping.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think they're covering their butts because the engine might not have been officially tested on the new tests like the LS7 has been. So untill it's been tested they might just be saying "preliminary" until it's been tested.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if its making even less than the 177 im going to be very dissappointed... i dont see why its so hard for gm to just put a 200hp engine in this thing... it really deserves better.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
godspeed06 said:
if its making even less than the 177 im going to be very dissappointed... i dont see why its so hard for gm to just put a 200hp engine in this thing... it really deserves better.
:agree: In todays technology world, what is the big deal to boost it up? Another $200.00? I'll gladly pay it!

·
5,641 Posts
I think the has been a change in testing procedures for determining horsepower. I recall a GM press release recently about the Corvette Z06 engine being the first engine certified under the new SAE procedure. Maybe this is why it is worded with "preliminary".

It is something that has happened recently a few times, most recently with the Grand Prix GXP. It has preliminary hoursepower of 295, but it was officially 303 when released.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why not get the engine from Honda that is used for the S2000!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It might be possible to make the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC make 200HP. However with every choice you make there's going to be a negative. Pushing 200HP on this engine might require some trade-offs GM was not willing to make. Like putting the fuel economy down the drain, increasing the red line even higher, loosing all the down low torque like pretty much all the high strung i4 engines out there, etc.

I'm personally happy to have a lot morelow down Torque then a higher, high strung HP value.

Small Dealer said:
I think the has been a change in testing procedures for determining horsepower. I recall a GM press release recently about the Corvette Z06 engine being the first engine certified under the new SAE procedure. Maybe this is why it is worded with "preliminary".

It is something that has happened recently a few times, most recently with the Grand Prix GXP. It has preliminary hoursepower of 295, but it was officially 303 when released.
yeah, that's exactly what I was refering too.

·
5,641 Posts
brentil said:
yeah, that's exactly what I was refering too.
Caught with bad scrolling techniques. My bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yea, well i suppose before i continue to question the hp i should drive one and see what i think for myself. discarding the hp argument brings you to handling which is what a roadster should do anyway, and .90g with those stock tires seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
936 Posts
SOL MIO said:
Why not get the engine from Honda that is used for the S2000!! :lol:
If i wanted a Honda engine I would buy a Honda. personally I will stick with what thy have.

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If i wanted a Honda engine I would buy a Honda.
Now what do mean by that?!?!?! :cuss:

[I kid, I kid!!] :jester:
ateam, people at the plant, when they heard about the possible delay, asked me "Why don't you get an S2000 instead?" I tell em "I dont want an S2000, I want a Solstice!!"

·
Registered
251 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If i wanted a Honda engine I would buy a Honda. personally I will stick with what thy have.

Next time I'll use MORE :lol: :lol: :lol: or maybe a few :glol: when trying to be funny!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
SOL MIO said:
Next time I'll use MORE :lol: :lol: :lol: or maybe a few :glol: when trying to be funny!!
I knew you wen't serious. After I posted I thought I should use some :lol: but didn't make the edit. Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was getting on you.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
177 already seems link an odd number (I know 7 is an odd number but it's also an odd value for horsepower). I think they have already done extensive tests to come up with that number and it will not change.

Wasn't it origianlly said to have 170? So they must have done some tests to come up with 177.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not exactly sure why people get so worked up over the exact “published” number, whether it is 170, 177, 179, 183, 172, etc. They are all close, and none of them may be exact anyway.

First, what is important to me is how those horses feel against my back when I step on it. As Brentil said, they could make a 200+ HP motor that feels like a dog below 3000 RPM, and I’d hate it.

Plus, automakers often do not report the exact HP figure anyway. As I always do, I will point to the 2.0L Supercharged ecotec engine, with a published HP figure of 205 HP. Based on numerous, independent wheel dyno tests, we know this engine produces far more HP than 205. Magazine racers will still dismiss it because it only has “205” HP per the specs page, but in reality, it is closer to 230 or so.

There are different reasons for this. Maybe they don’t want to make their V6 engines seem weak so they underrate it. They may be underrating it to try and keep insurance rates down (GM has done this before). I suppose it could also be because GM recommends premium, but says regular can be used with a power loss. Maybe they publish figures based on running regular fuel too, just to cover themselves from people who would claim they falsely advertised the power rating, even though they do have the disclaimer about power loss with 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have a road that I travel every day to and from work. On the way home I have turn onto the road and travel up a short section of hill with an extremely tight right hand turn. I can turn onto the road and from a rolling start hit 50 before the turn and still have time to brake. If my Sol can handle as good or better that this I will be extremely happy. Power out of the chute with enough brakes to keep me out of trouble. Give me winding roads and power under my seat and I'll be happy. I'm not looking for low ET's. just the perception of power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts