Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, my beautiful 2006 Z0K Club Sport Solstice is no longer mine. It's probably being towed to a salvage yard as we speak.

Long story short, we had one day of snow followed by one day of ice down here in NC. On the day of ice I tried to drive to work on my "Summer-only" 265 wide Michelin's and ended up meeting the business end of a cement drainage pipe at 20-30mph. Amazingly the car was drivable and didn't look that bad. The main damage was to the passenger frame rail near the front of the door. The car should be repairable but GM currently does not make a replacement rail for the Sol so it was determined to be a total loss.

Here's some pics.

I'll be picking up an RX8 soon to replace her.

·
Registered
417 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss :( but I am glad that you are ok.
Rx8? say it isnt so!

those summer tires (and a spicy alignment) are just bad news when it comes to inclement weather. :(

Don't be a stranger here though!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, fear of ice is one reason my Solstice has stayed parked whenever the weather gets down near freezing.

While I am not a body repairman it sure looks fixable to me, if not with OEM parts then with used parts from a wrecked Sol that suffered a different fate (rear-end, roll-over, etc.). Recently my Miata was rear-ended and the insurance company tried to total it and I managed to talk them out of it. Any thoughts about fighting it or have you simply made the mental switch to the RX-8 and don't want to look back? Even if you don't keep the car it still looks like the car should be salvageable as a race car in some way or form.

BTW the RX-8 is not particularly strong in that area either, I've seen some pretty big rocker dents caused by nothing more than a shiny new cone.

·
Administrator
9,145 Posts
I'm not dancing with no RX8! :toetap:

So glad to hear that YOU are okay! This season's weather is throwing many for a loop - I'm sure you never expected ICE in North Carolina. :nonod:

Sorry to hear the parts are available to fix your sweet ride ... like Mike said "don't be a stranger". You're still 'one of us' even if you are Sol-less! :thumbs:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Miles,

So sorry to hear about your Sol.

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting you in Nashville.
I can still hear your exhaust above me as we ran the twisties.

Don't be a stranger.

Take care.

Rich

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow the pics really put it into perprective from what you described to Bill and I. Since you are getting an RX-8, does this mean you will be kin to the miata? :willy:

Now that you have created an autoX monster out of my husband you get another car that is just wrong:lol: . BTW the OZ's are sweet and look great on our GXP but do not let Bill know I said that!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The car has already left for the salvage yard. I was initially going to keep it and build an SM2 car out of her but the buyout was CRAZY!! Almost $6k!!!

For me, the Sol without A/C was killing me here in NC this past summer. It was fine in the midwest but we had 30+ consecutive days above 90 and multiple days tying the all-time high of 104 here in Charlotte. I bought my car because it was the car to have for CS. I decided that my next car should have A/C, a little more room and is still a top dog in it's class. The RX8 fits that bill perfectly.

The scavenged parts from the Sol were the hitch and the 18x9 forged SSR wheels with 265 Michelins. 6 custom drilled ultra-lightweight wheels with 4 kick-a$$ tires, yours for the low, low price of $2K!! A $5000 value!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
My bet is someone is going to get a good deal on that car and it will be on the road in less than 3mo.......

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Did a very similar thing with my '70 convertible about 12 years ago. Knocked over a tree with the passenger side frame rail. How? I was on the driver's side wheels only! I hit black ice on a corner on hopped one of those big granite 1" high curbs while spinning at 30 mph. I doubt my radial T/A 235x60s had anything to do with the loss of control- ice is ice

I didn't even get a scratch. That Sol looks like it's in much better shape than my '70 was, but frames pop back out

Glad you're OK

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
It was tragic to lose the car because of summer tires on ice. But I'm glad you came through ok.

Again I recommend to the people living in snow/ice country: Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS tires. They were $1000 installed by a Bridgestone dealer, you can get a better price from The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels.

These tires are All Season. They are as good or better in the wet and in the dry than any summer tire. They are quieter on the road. They are fairly good in ice and snow. AND they come with a 40000 mile warranty. No summer tire that I know of has any warranty at all.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
My bet is someone is going to get a good deal on that car and it will be on the road in less than 3mo.......
:agree:
It stinks, I know cause I am in it right now. That frame rail looks like it can be torched:devil:
Just depends on the hidden damage. Ours I think is too far gone for anything but a radical chop.
Do you know if it went to Clayton?:(

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
At least you are okay. But pictures like those always make me cringe. :(

·
Premium Member
10,281 Posts
Glad you are OK MIles, good luck with your RX8, and drop by once in a while, certainly your experience is very much welcome.
Thanks for all your help here in the forum.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Frame rail is torqued bad, look how the passenger foot well is bent up.

Glad you're ok, thanks for your support, nice meeting you at the Nationals. I enjoy the wheels you assisted me in getting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ice

Sorry about your loss. I have driven in winter weather from Montana ,Illinois, Upstate New York,Western North Carolina and all places in between. It doesn't matter what kind of tires you use, when you hit ice you have a problem.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
Hi Miles, say it ain't so! Sorry to hear that you no longer have the Z0K. It had to be a killer in Charlotte without the A/C. Let us know how the RX8 goes.

:brentil:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad your OK. The damage sure dosent look like a write off, but I am no body man. Enjoy your RX8 thats a sweet ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts