Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This time ... my own. I picked up my Sol yesterday and I must say that I was impressed. It looked sharp and came through in perfect shape. Alignment looks good and I don't see any sign of problems.

As for the ride, she handles great! This really is a driver's car. Some of those guys looking to race it can complain about the power if they like, but it's got plenty of pickup for spirited driving. Suspension and cornering are superb. Any real roadster fans will love it. And as everybody has mentioned, it's a real head-turner driving through traffic.

At 6' the fit was quite good for me. Not quite as much legroom as I had in my Z3, but a bit more space above the head. All the essentials were placed really well. The cupholders tended to pop open with a slight bump from the driver's arm or passenger's knee, so I'd probably prefer a bit firmer latch, but it's not a big deal.

Now for the gearing ... as I suspected, I absolutely love it. It purrs like a kitten, even at high speeds. Just remember that 5th is basically an overdrive, so if you want to pass, then downshift. Or if you're looking to race and want better pickup, just keep it in 4th ... I don't know why some people can't seem to figure that out. Thank you, Pontiac for not making this car start whining whenever we want to go fast ... 3000 rpms at 80 mph sounds great to me. Those who only care about 0-60 times can look at something else if they don't like it.

I can't wait until the break-in is over and I can really see what she's got. I had a few concerns about some of the problems that seemed to be mentioned here on occasion, but they've vanished now. One thing I will say is that the trunk somehow looks even smaller in person. Not going to be putting much in there, but I guess we all knew that already.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
SlySol said:
Now for the gearing ... as I suspected, I absolutely love it. It purrs like a kitten, even at high speeds. Just remember that 5th is basically an overdrive, so if you want to pass, then downshift. Or if you're looking to race and want better pickup, just keep it in 4th ... I don't know why some people can't seem to figure that out. Thank you, Pontiac for not making this car start whining whenever we want to go fast ... 3000 rpms at 80 mph sounds great to me. Those who only care about 0-60 times can look at something else if they don't like it.
Thanks. This was one of my concerns. I wasn't worried about the drop from forth to fifth, but can I take it from what you say that the drop from third to forth isn't as bad as one reviewer has said?? When you say downshift, would you, when passing a car going 60, want to shift to forth or third??

Edit:
Never mind...Just read Crimson Avenger's detailed calculations in the Time review's thread.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Congratulations enjoy all those spirited drives with your new SOL,
hopefuly mine will get here sometime in the next few days. :party: :party:

·
Registered
363 Posts
SlySol said:
This time ... my own. I picked up my Sol yesterday and I must say that I was impressed. It looked sharp and came through in perfect shape. Alignment looks good and I don't see any sign of problems.

As for the ride, she handles great! This really is a driver's car. Some of those guys looking to race it can complain about the power if they like, but it's got plenty of pickup for spirited driving. Suspension and cornering are superb. Any real roadster fans will love it. And as everybody has mentioned, it's a real head-turner driving through traffic.

At 6' the fit was quite good for me. Not quite as much legroom as I had in my Z3, but a bit more space above the head. All the essentials were placed really well. The cupholders tended to pop open with a slight bump from the driver's arm or passenger's knee, so I'd probably prefer a bit firmer latch, but it's not a big deal.

I can't wait until the break-in is over and I can really see what she's got. I had a few concerns about some of the problems that seemed to be mentioned here on occasion, but they've vanished now. One thing I will say is that the trunk somehow looks even smaller in person. Not going to be putting much in there, but I guess we all knew that already.
SlySol,
Your review sounds very honest and you understand what this car was built for. It's not a Nascar or a Dragster but a Roadster. Appreciate your input. After reading your review I am even more eager to get mine. I wanted a roadster, always have, but never found one that (fit) what I wanted and (fit) my budget as well. Thanks alot and congratulations man.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
SlySol,

Thanks for your review. As one who will not receive his car until 2006, I have moments where I question my decision to buy. Posts such as yours give me some small measure of patience as I wait. :)

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ParTee said:
I just got mine also and love it. I do hear the "clunking" sound when shifting. You didn't mention that so I wondered if you heard it.
I must say that was one of my concerns recently. I really didn't feel like a new car should be clunking all the time. But, I'm happy to say that I didn't have any problem with it. I was even trying to listen for it. There was one time on a sloppy shift that I let the clutch out before giving it much gas that I thought I might have heard what people were referring to, but I hardly noticed anything, so I'm not sure. I'll definitely say that I'm very happy with mine in the noise department. I was driving in traffic quite a bit, so I'll try to get it on some quieter roads to see if I can hear any sign of it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I know a bunch of you are still waiting on yours, but I think it will be well worth the wait. I was starting to second-guess my decision, but one drive put my mind at ease.

·
4,592 Posts

Congrats SlySol.....I'm glad that purple hippo finally has something to spank ;)

Enjoy!

·
2,574 Posts
SlySol said:
Thanks guys. I know a bunch of you are still waiting on yours, but I think it will be well worth the wait. I was starting to second-guess my decision, but one drive put my mind at ease.
Thanks Sly, and best of luck. You mellowed me out about my only reservation. Was hoping for exactly what you report. Niiice. I am now unflappable! :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RODEO said:

Congrats SlySol.....I'm glad that purple hippo finally has something to spank ;)

Enjoy!
Hehe ... I should actually change the animation to show him doing the ol' wax on, wax off move. I ended up waxing the car in the garage last night sometime after midnight and stayed up 'til around 4 giving the hood and bumper a couple of coats. I haven't finished the rest of the car yet, but I noticed a couple of bug splatters and figured I definitely wanted to get those parts done well before I do any more driving. I can work on the rest of it this weekend.

·
Registered
363 Posts
:agree:
Chemist said:
SlySol,

Thanks for your review. As one who will not receive his car until 2006, I have moments where I question my decision to buy. Posts such as yours give me some small measure of patience as I wait. :)

--Chemist

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SlySol said:
I must say that was one of my concerns recently. I really didn't feel like a new car should be clunking all the time. But, I'm happy to say that I didn't have any problem with it. I was even trying to listen for it. There was one time on a sloppy shift that I let the clutch out before giving it much gas that I thought I might have heard what people were referring to, but I hardly noticed anything, so I'm not sure. I'll definitely say that I'm very happy with mine in the noise department. I was driving in traffic quite a bit, so I'll try to get it on some quieter roads to see if I can hear any sign of it.
From reading the threads on the clutch 'clunking' it also seems to be related to how people are shifting. Once you learn to shift this car properly I've read for some people it jsut goes away. I was hoping to be the first person driving down 434 or SR50 in a Solstice, but it looks like you've gone an beat me to that. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.