Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Can you take and post the images here? GMI.com requires a login to view them. If you do please give credit to the original poster from GMI.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
One In Toledo

My F & I Mgr. saw one in Toledo, O w/ std Michigan tags, (as opposed to dealer or MFG.) I think he said it was Monday. MGR was on a crotch rocket, saw the car, tried to catch him (in town, not interstate.) Followed him into a Toys R Us lot, and the guy was in & out b4 he could catch up to him.

Car was red w/ lack interior.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
conejo148 said:
My F & I Mgr. saw one in Toledo, O w/ std Michigan tags, (as opposed to dealer or MFG.) I think he said it was Monday. MGR was on a crotch rocket, saw the car, tried to catch him (in town, not interstate.) Followed him into a Toys R Us lot, and the guy was in & out b4 he could catch up to him.

Car was red w/ lack interior.
I have a feeling that GM is giving the first few cars made to managers and such to drive around for a few months to try and catch some problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I have a feeling that GM is giving the first few cars made to managers and such to drive around for a few months to try and catch some problems.
While I totally agree, I'm trying to figure in my mind why such a unit would have regular plates instead of a manufacturer's tag. Any ideas?

My Mgr said it looked like a test unit, didn't look 100% like a production car--paint a little mis-matched on the panels. Test cars always have mfg plates. Maybe it was an interstate road test from Motown to T-town.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
conejo148 said:
While I totally agree, I'm trying to figure in my mind why such a unit would have regular plates instead of a manufacturer's tag. Any ideas?

My Mgr said it looked like a test unit, didn't look 100% like a production car--paint a little mis-matched on the panels. Test cars always have mfg plates. Maybe it was an interstate road test from Motown to T-town.
All of the Solstice on the road around Detroit I have spotted or friends have spotted have always had standard plates. We haven't figured this out either as any of the other test vehicles we see have manufacturing plates on them.

I've noticed this for the past few months after a friend pointed it out... wish I would have remembered to pay attention prior to that.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Does having GM managers drive around in a car constitute testing? How much of this is just subtle marketing, like Elvis spotting? If they were given to manager who came up through the engineering ranks and had clipboards with checklist etc. that would be one thing, but is Lori Queen doing that while having a blast in her Solstice?

I hope Danno is correct (on another thread) and as some of us have speculated, that at least some of the "pre-production" cars are slated for the dealerships so we can all see and test drive one. Then it will get really interesting as far as order numbers go!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fortyninenorth said:
Does having GM managers drive around in a car constitute testing? How much of this is just subtle marketing, like Elvis spotting?
Can't it be both?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Who has Title?

I'm thinking there are advantages to GM to use manufacturers plates, (such as the need not to match the plate to a particular VIN). Since the cars are running around with standard plates, would GM have needed to actually "title" the cars? HMM.. now I'm wondering if title records are public.. If so we'd be able to find out who the cars are registered to.... GM or private individuals.

I'm not questioning that the drivers are GM engineers or execs.. just that the cars may be titled to the idividual rather than GM.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
No such luck. I've asked the question in the past about other cars - the cars are registered and titled directly to GM, GM is the owner of the cars. Even the company-car driver's cars. You would have to have access to internal and confidential GM systems to figure out exactly who is driving what vehicle.

A manufacturing plate is a temporary plate not directly assigned to a vehicle except within GM's internal system.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I saw one of the "30 test cars" at a restaruant last Thursday, and it had a sticker on the windshield that read "Captured Test Fleet". With a normal plate, the captured test fleet vehicle can be driven by many different drivers (not just the assigned driver), but with a Manufacture's plate, only the driver who is assigned the plate (and not the car) can drive the car that the plate is on. I have a friend who had the use of a vehicle with "M" plates years ago. He and his wife were in Ohio and stopped by the state police for a "minor infraction of the posted speed limit". His wife was driving and he was in the passenger's seat. Not only did his wife get a speeding ticket, but also one for driving an "unregistered & unlicensed vehicle". So I would assume that because GM wants as much feedback on these 30 test vehicles they registered them similiar to all other fleet vehicles. By the way, the VIN indicated the one I saw was #8, dark green with black cloth interior. Sorry, I didn't have a camera with me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Primus said:
Why do you suggest that the one you saw was number 8? Because the last four digits were 0008? Just curious.
Actually the last 5 (maybe 6 or 7) were 00008.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Primus said:
Why do you suggest that the one you saw was number 8? Because the last four digits were 0008? Just curious.
I wonder how they will work that because the April issue of the Pontiac Insider stated in the solstice story that the 1000 EOP cars will have special vin# sequenced from 1 to 1000?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I wonder how they will work that because the April issue of the Pontiac Insider stated in the solstice story that the 1000 EOP cars will have special vin# sequenced from 1 to 1000?
We've discussed this some before. There are several things they could do. Since they control the VIN #'s they could just restart the order of VIN's. Or the first 1000 could have a different sequence. It doesn't have to be 00001, it could be 90001, 40001, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts