Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Soldstice 41505 said:
Take a look at this bit of info from Lori Queen at GM. She reports to Bob Lutz and his some information on production status. She also assures that the first 1000 eill actually be the 1st 1000. http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/
Lori says "are we listening?"

I think we have our answer that they do/are! Direct response to questions posed here very recently.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Soldstice 41505 said:
Take a look at this bit of info from Lori Queen at GM. She reports to Bob Lutz and his some information on production status. She also assures that the first 1000 eill actually be the 1st 1000. http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/
Great link ... glad to see they're starting to respond to our concerns. She also still refers to the cars presently being built as pre-production cars (which Chris mentioned on the phone) and says they're being driven hard for testing purposes. So the "First 1000" should retain their appeal, as most collectors would probably prefer a well-maintained, full production car to a ragged-out pre-production model (I know I would). Not saying the values are going to sky-rocket or anything, but it certainly sounds like they're doing everything possible to keep those first cars special.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My concern was that I got my 1 of 1000 before the general populus got theirs. It looks like I am going to get my wish. Now if my Solstice can just get here by the summer solstice....

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Answers to your Solstice Questions, from Lori Queen

Lori Queen said:
Let me start by translating for you what my title means: I run the team that is responsible for the Solstice program. I work for Bob Lutz . . . and the buck does indeed stop here!

The reason for my post is to answer a few questions, namely, are we listening? Of course we are . . . I know I am.

My team and I have seen the emails and posts from Solstice fans. We’re pleased there’s so much passion behind the launch of this new Pontiac – we share your enthusiasm. Let me respond to some of the concerns I’ve read:

First, we’ve said that production begins this summer –- and it will. We’re currently building pre-production models at our assembly plant in Wilmington, Delaware. The commitment is to deliver all “First 1,000” cars by the end of October. Our goal is for delivery to begin by late summer, perhaps sooner. However, when Pontiac announced its early order program on the Apprentice we did so to better gauge interest. We were blown away that the first 1,000 vehicles sold out in 41 minutes. We now have more than 8,000 orders. The roadster segment is very small –- about 100,000 units a year. This incredible interest means that once consumers have their cars, we’ll have gone from zero to nearly 10 percent of the roadster market in no time.

We know our new owners will want their vehicles to be dynamically sound, with superb road manners to match their good looks. Every GM vehicle launch is subject to many stringent quality tests – both at the plant and in the vehicle itself. Some of the rumors we’ve seen relate to these tests. The testing and slow “ramp-up” –- how quickly we go from building a handful of cars a day to full production -– ensures that we’re selling the highest quality vehicles. It’s no accident that last week J.D. Power reported that GM led the industry in manufacturing quality for the fourth straight year. Based on this track record, we believe that future Solstice owners want us to take this kind of care with their vehicles, too.

These extensive quality checks are why some have said they’ve noticed a few Solstices on the road. They weren’t seeing things –- we do have cars being driven by GM engineers across the country. We rigorously drive and test these early vehicles to confirm that they meet our quality expectations.

Will the first 1,000 cars really be the first 1,000? Absolutely. We said we would deliver the first 1,000 retail cars to these lucky few, and that’s the plan. These engineering vehicles will never make it to dealers. Some of these vehicles, after we've driven them hard, may be brought up to production standards and sold at auction, similar to other vehicle programs, but it would be well after the first 1,000 cars are delivered. This is the way vehicle programs work. We shake down the cars so our
customers don’t have to.

I know Pontiac marketing folks have plans to continue communicating with their new buyers throughout the summer and fall. And, if you’re one of the First 1,000, you’ve probably heard from them by now.

Keep your comments coming. The team likes to know what you’re thinking. Meanwhile, we’ll keep working to bring the best-looking and highest-quality roadster to market –- a car we’ll be proud to sell and our customers will be thrilled to own.
This was posted on the GM blog today, and thought it appropriate to post since she addresses some of the concerns raised on the forum. Here is a link for anyone wishing to leave comments:

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/05/the_buck_stops_1.html#comments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great info from the Blog. Finally, there is life at GM. Says marketing will be communicating with us. I'll keep a line open, but the silence has been deafening to this point. Boy am I relieved that the FIRST 1000 will actually be the FIRST 1000. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks Ff88! It does answer clear up some of the confusion and seems to prove they are listening (probably here as one source).

Looks like late summer is the goal for delivery (maybe sooner). I'm very glad to hear they are concentrating on quality with a capital Q. Long after this summer is gone we'll be living with the quality of these cars so that's most important.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Special thanks to all the vocal people on this forum that were able to express their thoughts, opinions and passion in such a manner that was worthy of address by the Small Car Vehicle Line Executive. :thumbs:

·
Registered
101 Posts
solsticeman said:
Special thanks to all the vocal people on this forum that were able to express their thoughts, opinions and passion in such a manner that was worthy of address by the Small Car Vehicle Line Executive. :thumbs:
Solsticeman, You've had it right all along, keeping us straight and explaining the process. This just confirms what you have repeated in so many posts. Thanks.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
The only information available was throught the Solsticeforum.com site.
I think we should thank Lori with a link to this site. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
mceb said:
Looks like late summer is the goal for delivery (maybe sooner).
Note: she stated that their goal is to get the first 1000 delivered by OCTOBER! I sure hope they can speed that up, because I'm definitely not one of the thousand and I'm really hoping I'll have mine around the time of my birthday (Sept. 15). So if they're not giving out any of the others until all first 1000 are out, and that doesn't happen until Oct. that means it'll be December-ish until they get around to mine probably. Certainly not the proper time to get a convertible. I sure hope they can be quicker than that or I'm going to be quite irked. Godspeed GM, Godspeed!

·
5,641 Posts
That is the great thing about the FastLane Blog. While GM policy keeps their people from posting here, Lori's post reads just like it was a reply to those of the last few days.

·
4,592 Posts
Small Dealer said:
That is the great thing about the FastLane Blog. While GM policy keeps their people from posting here, Lori's post reads just like it was a reply to those of the last few days.
:agree:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I know that Package just posted the e-mail address of the Director of Communications and the Media Relations Manager for GM a couple of days ago. He encouraged people to let them know their concerns and it's possible that a deluge of e-mails from people here may have also contributed to the response. I sent the following e-mail on Monday, which prompted a personal phone call from the head of the Solstice Marketing Department, so I'm assuming it caught the attention of the right individuals ... if they got a bunch of similar e-mails, it may have been a factor in drafting the letter also.

Anyway, here's the rant that I sent ...

-------------------------------
I am a long-time fan of the Pontiac Solstice concept car and participated in the 2006 Solstice Early Order Program on April 15. I was lucky enough to be approved to receive one of the "First 1000" Solstices produced. While I love the car, I must say that I have been disappointed with the way Pontiac has handled many aspects of the Early Order Program. The lack of official information about the program details, production and delivery are astounding. The only reason I was able to get enough information to get one of the first 1000 cars was due to information gleaned from http://www.solsticeforum.com which is a third-party website created by other enthusiasts and completely unrelated to Pontiac. The information posted there always seems to be more plentiful and accurate than that from my dealer and most members seem to have the same opinion.

At any rate, the reason for my e-mail is some rather disturbing rumors about the so-called "First 1000" Solstices. It has been indicated that they will possibly not be the first 1000 production cars or the first 1000 cars delivered. I called Pontiac marketing to try to determine if that is accurate and the representative I spoke to seemed to imply that it was a possibility. I went to great trouble to jump through all the right hoops to get one of the "First 1000" cars and now it appears that the whole promotion may have been a scam! The whole reason for participating was to get one of the first cars available before everybody else gets theirs. That is why people want the "First 1000". Nobody cares about a silly plaque stuck on the dash; we want the first cars that we were promised. In fact, the FAQ of the Pontiac/Apprentice website where we signed up for the Early Order Program stated the following: "Are these the first 1,000 units built for retail sale? Yes." I certainly hope that was not a blatant lie. As a GM stockholder and a new GM customer, I hope this whole thing is just a rumor. I cannot imagine that Pontiac would make such a stupid mistake. But if it is indeed the case, I will be severing all ties to GM and encouraging other car enthusiasts and investors to do the same. Please put an end to the rumors and clarify whether the "First 1000" Solstices will actually be the first 1000 cars or not. Also, the latest official word about delivery indicates that cars will not arrive until the fourth quarter. However, if production started on May 16, that would seem to indicate a much closer arrival date. An update on approximately when the "First 1000" cars and also the regular allocation cars will be arriving would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and attention to this matter.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
My concern was that I got my 1 of 1000 before the general populus got theirs. It looks like I am going to get my wish. Now if my Solstice can just get here by the summer solstice....
:agree:

My wish all along!

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
The commitment is to deliver all “First 1,000” cars by the end of October. Our goal is for delivery to begin by late summer, perhaps sooner. - Lori Queen
I got bounced out of the 1st 1,000. In order to make it up to me, GM is willing to deliver my Solstice as an addition to the dealer's regular allocation, delivery expected in the fourth quarter, hopefully, the beginning of October. – solli4me -“It’s Raining Solstices”
Margo from GM did say "right after the 1st 1,000 cars were delivered". Sorry I didn't post that also.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The only good thing about it coming out in later then October for the regular allocation people is that I'll have more money saved up for a down payment.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quality

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, but have never registered until today to post my comments. I too have been reading about the Solstice since it's inception and had hope that it would be a car that would be produced and now it is. I have not bought an American car (American Brand) since 1981 until now. I ordered my Solstice on May 24 and am excited about getting it. I know there are a lot of gripes out there about getting it by summer. I would rather GM build a quality car and know without a doubt that everything is right and miss the summer, than to know that I will miss next spring and summer because it is in the shop getting fixed if they were to throw it together just so they can get it out by summer. If you have to have a convertible by summer there are many other models on dealers lots waiting for an owner, but I'm sure you will regret it when you start seeing the Solstice on the road. I'm willing to wait for quality and I'm sure you are too. The same people that are griping to get their car now will be the same people that will gripe if GM doesn't build a quality car. I agree that there are some issues with the way the car was marketed on the Apprentice, but this was something that was done probably well before the season started. I don't blame Pontiac wanting to try to see what kind of interest they would get in building the car. I would have too especially with the situation they are in finanacially. They can't afford to fail. I think this car can make them or break them so they want to do it right.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts