Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a 2007 GXP. One of the previous owners replaced the standard antenna mast with a 4" tall stubby one for style. My problem is that I only get 2 of many FM stations due to poor reception. So I want to put back the standard mast which was laying in the trunk of the car.

Unfortunately I cannot unscrew the stubby mast, I assume because of corrosion. So I want to remove the entire base with mast together and work with everything off the fender to prevent damage to the fender.

Can I remove the antenna base by unclipping it from the under-side? I felt around from above and it feels like there may be a forked clip, similar to the type used on many brake hoses. Can anyone provide clarity whats underneath before I remove the wheel & fender liner to find out it was for nothing?

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
You can find drawings at on line parts providers. Here is a drawing of the antenna mount from GMpartsdirect Also check Nalley

It looks like it is mounted to the body with two bolts through the bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Rob & Dave, That was very helpful.

When I was into the Pontiac Fiero in the 90's, I had a thick phone book size GM "P" "Parts & Illustration Catalog" for the car which provided part numbers and beautifully illustrated exploded views which helped answer so many of my questions.

Here is a Fiero Catalog for sale on ebay:
1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 Pontiac P Fiero Parts Book Catalog Illustrations GM | eBay

Is there something like that for the Solstice, paper or soft copy? That would help me so much. I searched on line on various sites but did not find anything. One has to exist in some form.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did look at all the data you all shared of which I really appreciate. Unfortunately I cannot find an answer to this simple question.

Is the fender hole perfectly round, or is it "D" shaped, or other shape?
Bad forces on a non-round hole will likely damage the paint, then rust begins.

I want to hold the antenna base steady from below somehow to prevent the twisting of the mounting bracket, while using a channel locks on the mast itself using a lot of force to break it loose. If the fender hole is perfectly round, then I can work the forces better without fear of damaging the fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts