Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rebuild over 50 engines and have hooked up a hundred stereos and for the life of me I cannot get the original antenna off. I tried holding the 4 slotted wheel with plyers and turn the antenna with a crescent wrench but it won't budge. I can move back and forth just a tad but then it feels like it's just gonne break if I go any further. I can also turn the slotted wheel about a half turn either way and then it feels like something's gonna break. can someone please tell me what unscrews so I can go ahead and give it more torque?

Thank You.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I think I have a spanner wrench at work I can borrow and I'll go ahead and get midevil on it. Excellent, that's all I needed to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
BE VERY CAREFUL! If it's not coming off readily, the stud may well be corroded in place. Applying brute force can result in it snapping off flush with the base and the only option is then to replace the whole base (others have had this happen).

If you want to go forward with this, at least try to inject some penetrating oil and hope that that loosens it enough not to snap off!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's either that or the PO used red locktite because I could almost feel it starting to twist. Maybe it would be best to use a cut-off wheel longways on the antenna where the stud is and pry it apart with a screwdriver. worst case it I'd dig into the threads just a bit but the new one should still screw onto the stud. about how long is the stud? 3/4" ?

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Yeah, it's either that or the PO used red locktite because I could almost feel it starting to twist. Maybe it would be best to use a cut-off wheel longways on the antenna where the stud is and pry it apart with a screwdriver. worst case it I'd dig into the threads just a bit but the new one should still screw onto the stud. about how long is the stud? 3/4" ?
Yeah, or cut down to expose the top of the stud and then use penetrating oil.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I went to tackle this last night and thought I'd screw the slotted wheel in a bit to take pressure off of the antenna and went to loosen it and twisted off the stud. bummer. Instead of leaving it like that, I ground down the top of the base about 1/4 in and ground down the slotted wheel so it looks like a flat washer and ground down the end of the antenna even to where the threads start and this gave me about 3/8 worth of threads to screw the antenna on. I'll have to order a new mast and base but for now, it's good enough. Hopefully any other mods I do will cooperate a bit more.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Damn, that's a shame.
When I did this I just unscrewed mine by hand without even needing to hold the base with pliers!
Now you have me wondering if I should put some antiseize on the threads for future removal, but I suppose if I did that the thing might spontaneously fling itself off to the possible detriment of following cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is too bad. Mine also just twisted off easily by hand, to the point it would loosen after driving sometimes and rattle. I applied blue locktite and tightened it down.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about putting antisieze on it but went with blue loctite instead. I thing it acts as a corrosion inhibitor too. So, I've found the base and bracket assy on fleabay, both for under $20 but I can barely see in there much less get my hand and a wrench in there. How the hell do you get to it? Remove the wheel well?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Or the rear compartment trim panel.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I thought about putting antisieze on it but went with blue loctite instead. I thing it acts as a corrosion inhibitor too. So, I've found the base and bracket assy on fleabay, both for under $20 but I can barely see in there much less get my hand and a wrench in there. How the hell do you get to it? Remove the wheel well?
Yup. I think there was a how-to post here. You'll have to search/google.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always use, for lack of a better term, the "PWAAAAANNNNNNGGGGG" method. Spring the antenna so it goes, well pwaanngg, and then the vibration usually lets me take it off by hand (even ones I thought were forever stuck)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, i read thru dozens of posts and came across some interesting threads but nothing on how to get the antenna base out. from the photo, it looks like a 1 piece with bracket assembly that sits in a base near the body but it takes a special tool ( imagine that ) to get in there and grab it. then, I'm not sure how much length cable is accessible but one post said the dealer did it in 20 min so I think I'm game. I'll order the new parts and tackle it then. I'll be sure and take some pics along the way as this seems to be a common problem since the antenna and base are 2 different metals.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts