Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was comparing photos of the Solstice and Sky and the antenna is not shown on any Sky photo. Did the Solstice first appear without an antenna mount before it was finalized? I can find nothing showing an externally mounted antenna on the Sky; has the antenna just not been put on these showcase cars yet?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Yes. The antenna and fuel door are missing from most prototype cars in general. It gives the car a better look, but sucks for us. The new Mustang did not sprout an antenna until very close to production and man is it an ugly one!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ahhh, back in the day when we were so starved for info we argued enlessly about fuel door placement, and power/static radio antena. Those were the really boring days. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Ahhh, back in the day when we were so starved for info we argued enlessly about fuel door placement, and power/static radio antena. Those were the really boring days. :D
Ah, the memories. :)

Good thing we have so much more to talk about now! :brentil:

:lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so they put the fuel door on already. We are just waiting for the antenna mount to appear as production gets closer then?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Delnari said:
Okay, so they put the fuel door on already. We are just waiting for the antenna mount to appear as production gets closer then?
It's on the cars. All the cars that also have XM antena also have the radio antena. It's pretty much on the opposite side of the car from the gas door. Looking at the images in the gallery you can find it.

It's a static antena too, not power. If you see images with just the antena base, that's because it was removed for the shows.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
It's on the cars. All the cars that also have XM antena also have the radio antena. It's pretty much on the opposite side of the car from the gas door. Looking at the images in the gallery you can find it.

It's a static antena too, not power. If you see images with just the antena base, that's because it was removed for the shows.

Yes I see it on the Solstice. No examples on the Sky; can you give me link to one on the Sky?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Depends on how much room is inside that quarter panel, I would suspect. You have the convertible top mounting structure in that general area, so maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They should have put an integrated antenna in the windshiled (like the corvette). I expect it was to keep the costs down. GM really won't make that much money off of these cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This has gotta be fixed! There must be a solution to hide or cap this thing off. It isn't in most pics cuz it looks so darn bad. Perhaps a short fat stubby... Look a the Mysterious in the gallery, great shot of the antenna behind the passenger seat. I have found great solutions for mounting inside the rear window and it souldn't be tough to mount with the "open architecture".

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
bcbriggs said:
Perhaps a short fat stubby...
:agree: This would be a vast improvement... I'm off surfing...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
That'd do nicely! Would have to go that route as you cant just put a plug in the OEM hole - if I went with the rear interior window mount. Nice find!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rumer :)

Saturn Sky will not be using the external antenna mask as shown on the Solstice. The Sky will feature a integrated windshield antenna to keep the car lines intact. This feature will help improve on the design of the Sky which is due out 7-9 months after the first delivered Solstice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
bcbriggs said:
That'd do nicely! Would have to go that route as you cant just put a plug in the OEM hole - if I went with the rear interior window mount. Nice find!

I wouldn't suggest going with the rear interior window mount unless you want really bad reception when the top is down. Maybe you don't care about reception though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
Not recommending them, just thought it was a better solution for me!

http://www.carccessory.com/s-antenna/os.html
These look alot nicer than what Pontiac has planned, but your reception will greatly suffer. The length of the antenna is a specific size to get good reception for both AM and FM. I believe that by shortening it like that, your AM and even some of your FM reception will be greatly reduced. However, I too might go this route if a power unit won't fit. I don't use the radio all that much, but for those that are AM radio fans, I would think twice before chopping the mast down.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jschimp said:
They should have put an integrated antenna in the windshiled
:agree: I was wondering the same thing myself.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Man, I know GM was pinching pennies on this one, but come on! On a car that's all about lines, this is one item that warranted the extra expense. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts