Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
It all depends on the construction, (insulated, non-insulated, square footage, etc...) a 600 sq. ft. garage insulated, one-story, with 5/12 pitch to calculate for the height and standard size doors, I would think at least $10,000 - $14,500 to be done correctly. But my numbers could be large, i usually only deal with commercial construction (commercial restoration and re-construction). And your location and availability of materials right now might push things up or down. Sorry can't help out any more without specifics.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
deluke said:
How much doed a two car Garage go for ?
That depends on too many variables to give a staight answer.

Things like:
attaching to house
available construction labor
how much work you plan to do yourself
finished or unfinished
cost of lumber, if that is your choice of material
local building codes
heat or cool or not
running water or not
electrical or not
size - barely fit two cars or oversized
concrete or dirt floor...hey, I live in Kansas and they still build that way to save money

Best bet would be to go to a local builders supply store like Home Depot, Lowes, Bulders Square, Menards, Southerlands, or what ever is near and as at the contractors/projects counter. I have built sheds with their plans and parts lists so they could at least give you an estimate of materials cost.

·
Registered
174 Posts
deluke, I am helping my father-in-law on a 2-car at this very moment. He is putting it on a rental property. WE are putting a 24x24 single story. I will get you the info. He got the plans from Home Depot. Just remember that we are doing all the labor, so this would be materials only.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Deluke,
PM me with your zip code. I have some cost estimating info I use in my business and it gives costs for residences, additions and garages based upon local cost figures. They use zip codes to determine what area of the country. I can give you 1, 2 or 3 car garage costs both attached and detached, just let me know what you need.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
sol4362: I don't need a two-car garage, I just need for one car, and you can guess which one.

Since we're doing a new one-car garage, let's make it portable. Also, it should be able to collapse and fit in the trunk. How about it?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
sol4362: I don't need a two-car garage, I just need for one car, and you can guess which one.

Since we're doing a new one-car garage, let's make it portable. Also, it should be able to collapse and fit in the trunk. How about it?
There are hoop style tarp-fabric units available to house one car, two cars, motor home, etc and they start at under $1k. Materials for a 2 stall traditional garage, to answer Deluke, usually is advertised around here by 84 and Carter for less than $4, labor and cementwork not included.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have been building 3-car w/ loft garage for the last two years. It is almost finished (only big item left is drywalling the upstairs). I've probably got ~$30k into it. The only services I paid for was the concrete floor and shingles.

my 'man-cave'

:cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
MAKsys said:
I have been building 3-car w/ loft garage for the last two years. It is almost finished (only big item left is drywalling the upstairs). I've probably got ~$30k into it. The only services I paid for was the concrete floor and shingles.

my 'man-cave'

Wow, that is super nice. I would be very happy to live in that with my Sol. :D

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
MAKsys said:

my 'man-cave'

Nice job :thumbs: and I bet it was built much better , by doing it yourself. My Brother-in-Law completed his >1900 sq ft basement by himself and it looks awesome, as well. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
deluke said:
How much does a two car Garage go for ?
I recently received a quote on a 24 x 24 two car garage. We live in between DC and Baltimore (= high real estate prices). The amount: $30K.

So, until we can afford that, I am using my neighbor's turn of the (20th) century one car garage that my wife and I cleaned up 10 days ago. The only additions are a latch and padlock on the barn-type doors and a solar-powered light.

This garage is located in the alley behind our houses, so it's easy access for me. Oh, and I should mention that we are in our town's Historic District, too. Naturally, our house is one of the few on our block that has never had an out building - shed, garage, whatever. Fortunately when we do build the garage, it doesn't fall under any Historic District covenants because it can't be seen from the street.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
With lumber prices starting to escalating due to the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast area you may want to put off large construction projects for awhile. JMHO

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just in name, not profession.

Lumber is expensive right now - you can always get one of the blow up bubbles for the car until lumber settles down. Be careful about building it yourself - check your local codes - some stuff you are allowed to do and not others. :cool:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
How about links for those "blow up bubbles" and "hoop-style tarps?"

·
Registered
254 Posts
MAKsys said:

my 'man-cave'

That's way cool! :yesnod:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here is a site to a modular garage system which is a little tougher than most. Otherwise any search for portable or modular garage systems will turn up plenty. Only if you are looking for something quick, and in the medium of price range between building/design and the portable domes.

http://www.americansteelspan.com/garagekits.html

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
Nice job :thumbs: and I bet it was built much better , by doing it yourself. My Brother-in-Law completed his >1900 sq ft basement by himself and it looks awesome, as well. :thumbs:
Thanks - I hope it was better built, but I'm sure it was over built :lol:

It has all the fixins' - electric (of course), gas (for heat), phone, cable TV, internet (so I can have this forum at hand :thumbs: ), water and sewer (must have a functional Throne). I didn't want any posts inside, so I used 16" wooden I-beams for the upstairs (should have put them on 24" centers). Now I need to get the epoxy coat down on the floor.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Sounds like a good place to hold a Solstice Forum meeting. Is it big enough for all of us?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
MAKsys said:
Thanks - I hope it was better built, but I'm sure it was over built :lol:

It has all the fixins' - electric (of course), gas (for heat), phone, cable TV, internet (so I can have this forum at hand :thumbs: ), water and sewer (must have a functional Throne). I didn't want any posts inside, so I used 16" wooden I-beams for the upstairs (should have put them on 24" centers). Now I need to get the epoxy coat down on the floor.
Very nice! Well done, too.

What, no A/C? :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts