Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Saturday afternoon cruise, another rock chip to my windshield and paint! It's starting to look like the front of my Sol has been riddled with buckshot rounds! These things are rock magnets!!!! Argh!!!!! :brentil:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I have owned my solstice for about a month and a half now. When I bought it, the entire front panel was covered in rock hits/paint chips...a very bad case of acne! This winter, I plan on removing panel and having it painted. Right now, I have a bra on it and it hides all the uglyness. Black bra on black car...looks good. May just keep it on and not bother repainting. The other spot that has a multitude of hits is the body kick-out in front of the rear tires and a few along the rocker panels. Purchased mud flaps/stone guards to help control that.

Have you considered the clear "tape" or bra's you can apply as a chip deterrent? They also make a paint that is textured when applied that stops the majority of chips. Usually applied along lower rocker panels or behind rear tires.

My windshield is covered in very small chips. Don't really know they are there until driving into the sun...makes it very hard to see. Having it replaced Wednesday...$285 installed.

I bought my car to enjoy driving and to work on. Have owned many MG's over the years and still have two of them so working on sporty cars is kind of a hobby for me.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Physics. The front being rounded is going to get a smart "smack" when a rock comes up - nothing you can do about it but protection options like riggs mentioned. I have chips all over mine also.

Glad you mentioned the windshield chips though, riggs. Like a dummy, I've been trying to see what I can do to "clean" mine for those "sunset drives" aren't impossible. Didn't even stop to think that I'm trying to "scrub" away chips!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a clear bra on front and no chips. I also have protective film on outside of windshield and have no pitting on the glass. If film gets damaged too much, it can be replaced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These all sound like solid suggestions. I figure that I'll have the hood and front bumper repainted next spring & then I'll definitely look into some of the above mentioned suggestions. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The hood and front bumper are not the only places that get chips. Check the front of your rear wheel wells. The front wheels fling rocks right at the flared out point. I'm talking about the area between your door opening and the rear wheel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The hood and front bumper are not the only places that get chips. Check the front of your rear wheel wells. The front wheels fling rocks right at the flared out point. I'm talking about the area between your door opening and the rear wheel.
That's EXACTLY where those tiny chips are on my baby. I covered them with red wax and they don't show anymore. :)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Yep - a lot of diaper rash in those areas too. In the "detailing" forum I've been documenting my struggles to bring back my paint. Happened to read through the history that the local dealer printed out on my VIN. Interesting. The front cupholder had been replaced THREE times! lol.

Also, a year after being on the road, the hood had it's clear coat redone. Whoever did it screwed it up, 'cause this is the ONLY place I'm having the big issues. Looking at it with light glancing off of it, it appears to have hard water spots on it. In reality, those are blemishes in the clear coat. Sure, there are spots that have had touch-up paint applied and such, but these are blotches in the clear all over the hood. I'm going to try several more passes with Meguire's 84 before resorting to a compound.

I'm probably going to take AC's route above - look into getting it repainted next spring and applying some protection. A "rock condom" so to speak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have spray on clear bra that Jeff mixes himself. After four years I have nearly no chips. It is EXPENSIVE but works great
Rob, is it possible for you to take a close up picture of your spray on? I'm just curious how it looks on your car. My uncle had it done to the front of his SHO & the line where the clear ends & just the painted hood starts is so obvious. Thanks! BTW--My GXP is "Cool" so it may not be THAT obvious... his SHO is burgundy.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
GMPP have a clear-bra-like kit for the rocker panels and front of the rear wheel wells. Not too difficult to put it on yourself - unlike whole front clear-bra - and works well (no chips on mine). I think I paid about $70 for the kit.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Definitely get the clear-bra applied! I had the hood, head & foglights and backsides of my mirrors done before ever acquiring the car from the dealer. After arriving home with it I decided to get a front bumper and rocker panel kit from ASAP Graphics. This has been a great paint saver and I highly recommend it!
Also used some scrap pieces to fit in the door handle indents to alleviate the fingernail scratches this area is prone to.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
GMPP have a clear-bra-like kit for the rocker panels and front of the rear wheel wells. Not too difficult to put it on yourself - unlike whole front clear-bra - and works well (no chips on mine). I think I paid about $70 for the kit.
One of the first mods I had done. Worth every penny. My rocker panels are mint. I also had a clear bra put on the front by a top notch installer and it has kept my nose in great shape. These mods are a must in MHO.:thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely going to have the clear bra done to mine. Unfortunately there is no sense in having it done over damage that has already occurred. What I'm hoping to do, as mentioned earlier, is get the hood and front bumper repainted some time in 2013. I'm sure that alone is going to cost a bundle. Right after that is finished I'll have the clear bra put on. I actually am pretty lucky b/c I don't have any damage to the underside of the car, but I'll do something there for preventive measures. Thank you for all of your input! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Rob, is it possible for you to take a close up picture of your spray on? I'm just curious how it looks on your car. My uncle had it done to the front of his SHO & the line where the clear ends & just the painted hood starts is so obvious. Thanks! BTW--My GXP is "Cool" so it may not be THAT obvious... his SHO is burgundy.
There is no line because the entire car is sprayed with the clear bra .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Rob,

What can you do if the clear bra is damaged somewhere on the car?

·
Registered
346 Posts
In my area they have been doing the hot tar and then stone on the roads,when you drive on those roads it is like getting a sand blast to the car.Not much to do about it ,just have to repaint and then use the clear options mentioned above.Great info guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts