Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Tell us a bit about your Solstice.

I'm about an hour north of you. I don't know of any mechanics in your area, but others might. Maybe they can send you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir, thank you, it’s a 2006 Solstice, 5 speed manual. Just bought it, only has 47k miles so it must have sat around a bit, but not any more! My kids love the car and I just want to have it thoroughly checked. I can bring it to the dealer but was curious if more specialized shops were around...thank you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
You should post some pictures to show off your new purchase.

I also own a 2006 silver (cool) 5-spd. There is plenty of info here to help you find your way and get acquainted with your '06. They redesigned the forum a while back and it makes it a bit complicated to locate some of the "New Guy" information. A good place to start is the Forum section and the General Discussion section: Solstice FAQ, Specifications, Performance Data

The '06 was the first model year and can be a bit quirky. It can be a bit clunky when shifting and often has a bit of whine in the differential. The Solstice also had several recalls related to the ignition switch and the airbag system. Make sure the recalls have been addressed. If it still has the original Goodyear tires, get a new set ASAP. Not only would they be too old, many people complained about the handling, especially in the rain.

I'm sure others will also respond and help get you going.

You bought a great automobile! Congratulations!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You, sir, just might be my guardian angel! Yes my car has all those challenges, a whine in 3rd and 4th gears that isn’t pleasant, and a shifting experience that desperately needs a can of 3 in 1 oil. Can these issues be addressed by the local GM dealership, in your opinion? And yep I can take a few pics and upload. The whine in those gears made me almost pass on the car, but it was green, low miles, in the area, in my price range, and my girlfriend said buy it, hahaha. Done deal! Thanks for all your guidance, kind sir!

·
Registered
234 Posts
You would probably get more responses if you posted in the New Member thread and introduced yourself New Member Section.

The title of this thread localizes to NW Florida/South Alabama and we don't have many members from this area, so many members may bypass this thread who could otherwise give you a lot of good information.

You can check your recalls by loading your VIN here: GM Recall Information | GM Recall Center | Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, HUMMER and SAAB Recalls

Your local GM dealer should be able to take care of your needs. When you see them ask for a Build Sheet. That will list all the features of your Solstice. Be extra careful of how someone puts your Solstice on a rack. The body molding wraps under the body and the bottom of the front fenders can be easily crushed. Since it's been so long since a GM dealer has seen a Solstice, you would be wise to also warn them before they put it on a lift.

The differential fluid can be changed, but it also requires a special additive in the mix. That should help with the whine (but not eliminate it), and at a minimum you'll know it's been properly changed.

Also have your belts changed. My power steering belt was well past worn and was close to breakage.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts