Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my convert. top with a hard top. I plan on gutting out the soft top and storing it somewhere, and just having the hard top on (to reduce all the excess weight)

Currently I've seen the club racer and the lemans from sportline and I really enjoy the club racer as it has a similar look to the original shape of the solstice.

Does anyone here know how much our convertible top weighs (The actual top, plus all of the arms/hinges in the trunk) vs how much one of these hard tops weigh?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Looking to replace my convert. top with a hard top. I plan on gutting out the soft top and storing it somewhere, and just having the hard top on (to reduce all the excess weight)

Currently I've seen the club racer and the lemans from sportline and I really enjoy the club racer as it has a similar look to the original shape of the solstice.

Does anyone here know how much our convertible top weighs (The actual top, plus all of the arms/hinges in the trunk) vs how much one of these hard tops weigh?
I have the Club Racer. It weighs around 40 lbs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not terribly heavy. I found a page that states the entire soft top assembly is about 65.5 pounds.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
That's not terribly heavy. I found a page that states the entire soft top assembly is about 65.5 pounds.
Yes, it is Fiberglass and quite light. You should reach out to Smoothline and double check with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. I think the hardtop might be one of the last mods on my list. I want to get a new bumper, hood, then the hardtop. But this would all be a total of about $4000 after shipping etc. and if I need help with any of the installs.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I have had the club racer on my GXP since December. LOVE the look it creates. I get favorable comments evertwhere. I had a body shop assemble, paint, and install it. The only downside is the trunk cannot be opened when the hardtop is in place.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Northern Sol, did you install the hard top yourself or have a body shop do it?
I went to the Smoothline factory and had them install it.:thumbs: They are just outside of Pittsburg. I was able to do this as bought with the Haartz Black Vinyl covering so no painting required.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering a Club Racer hardtop this year too, but have no plans on removing the convertible top. The only reason I could see to remove it would be if I thought I'd never want to use the convertible again (doubtful), or if storing the soft top in the boot for long periods of time may cause soft top damage. Also, realigning the soft top after removal is suppose to be very difficult to achieve.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I use my Hard Top as part of my seasonal mods....
Early Spring - Hard Top
Late Spring into beginning of summer - rag top
Mid July to mid August - tonneau with Kappabrella when parked.
Mid August to mid October - rag top
Mid October to Mid to late November - Hardtop
Late November - rag top, roof up, car cover on and then sleepy for winter.:cryin:

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Have you considered Norm's new "coupe" hardtop? My understanding is this is a semi-permanent top, and both the trunk lid and the convertible are removed. Just a thought.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There's a Norms coupe top for sale on this forum.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There's a Norms coupe top for sale on this forum.
Hello unfortunately thats the race top that we make. It could be used for the street but would require a fair amount of work to make streetable as far as sealing for water tightness.
Heres a rough picture of our street version which is available now.
Thanks Norm

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I wish your street version had been advailable when I went with my Club Racer. The Club racer is beautiful, but DAMNNN, your coupe top is GORGEOUS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts