Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
backround:07 solstice gxp out of insurance auction, flood car. We have everything smelling better and working right. it came with pillar gauges, ddmworks backbone brace. It outruns a stage 2 sky redline, so it must have some mods.

Anyways, here is the problem. It allows one hard run with boost for about 20 seconds then the turbo quits and the car acts like a N/A. Or it lets you do a few 5 second or so pulls with full boost then it will quit during a run and act N/A. When you turn the car off and turn it back on, it repeats the process. someone please give me some suggestions/ideas/advice?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Sounds like it's going into limp mode, but there could be a multitude of reasons, especially with a flood car. Anything from loose intake clamps, to failed T/MAP or bad MAP sensors (and probably a host of other things).

It's probably stored some OBD codes. Put a code reader on it and report back as to what you find. That'll help us diagnose better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, if this means anything. it doesnt trigger a check engine light when the turbo quits. but when we first get in the car, using the gauge we have to clear the DTC's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you dont clear the check engine light when you first start it, it wont act any different. it is just annoying so we clear it

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Like TomatoSoup said, way to many unknows to give you some clear guidance.
You can also check the connection for the solenoid below the turbo intake make sure the female pins are making a good connection.
Clean the MAF from the intake.
Check clamps and tmaps as suggested.
However been a water car it could be any other number of problems including the ECM connectors.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Did you pull the Lower connection off the intercooler could have a little water in the line and fouling the sensors. like the others said check the sensor plugs .

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Wait. So you know you have a bunch of DTCs, and you clear them each time? But you didn't think to look in to what they were reporting? WTF?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Exactly right!

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
There are many faults that could cause the kind of issues you are experiencing. Without knowing the fault codes, its nearly impossible to provide any meaningful answers without doing some hands on testing.

Give us the codes and we might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Why do you fight the people who are trying to help you?

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
well, if it had anything to do with the DTC's wouldnt it trigger a check engine light when the turbo quit?
The problem is:
1) without fault codes there are just too many potential problems to be able to offer much help
2) since the car is 95% fly by wire, and all the wires have been wet and potentially contaminated even with the codes its going to be luck of the draw wether the help you get will actually be helpful.

What we know is that
if the voltage is low, the car will not boot properly and all kinds of strange, seemingly random events can occur.

going into limp mode without throwing a CEL would, in a factory configuration for the car not an allowable state. You would get a CEL and could pull specific codes.

The fact that you are getting codes and not sharing them after having been informed that we cant do much without them is problematic

The fact that the car is apparently going into limp mode without showing a CEL is troubling. It indicates potentially multiple faults. The fault that results in limp mode and the fault that failes to display a CEL.

If you want any suggestions, you need to provide some basic information.

:lurk::thumbs::leaving:

Also, if you are in full boost for 20 seconds, you have got to be flying tripple digits? 0-60 5 seconds, 0-100+ 14seconds?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Also, if you are in full boost for 20 seconds, you have got to be flying tripple digits? 0-60 5 seconds, 0-100+ 14seconds?
Good catch Rob.

These guys aren't trying to bust your chops. They will definetly point you in the right direction. And they WILL definetly help you. It's just without the codes, there's not a lot of armchair diagnosing that can be done....Next time it happens, stop in to your local auto parts store and have them scan for codes.... (most do it free here in MI)....

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Is possible to get codes and not have the engine light come on.
It has happened to me with P0243.
That is the reason I'd suggested to check the solenoid connection (female) on my previous post.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have had codes without a CEL but not limp mode. You need the codes. That is what they are there for. The computer runs the car and tells you what is wrong. Hope you did not clear them out of the history as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have not seen it on my solstice, but I know on other vehicles I've had pending codes. The pending codes would not cause CEL to illuminate, but would appear in the ECU log.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts