Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my first smartphone, I have used it for navigation and music, plugging into the Aux jack. I recently got a Galaxy S3. When the navigation speaks or the music is playing, it is fine. But when the music stops or the navigation is not speaking, I get quite a buzz associated with engine speed. It happens only when it is plugged into the lighter as a power source and also plugged into the Aux. I have swapped both cords with no joy. I grabbed my wife's phone and it works fine. So the problem is the phone.

Since there are electronic geniuses on here, I wanted to see if there are any ideas short of replacing the phone. It is clearly that there is a completed circuit through the phone when connected to both the lighter and the Aux jack that then picks up something associated with ignition in the engine. Is there something I could shield or ground?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm no genius, but I am a musician. This happens all the time with guitars. It happens to me if I'm recording and my computer is plugged into the same outlet as the mic pre / bass / guitar amp is. How to fix yous? Don't know. But I can tell you that getting a new phone is not the answer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you tried using an in-line filter/noise-suppressor? Usually quite affordable . . . not much more than about the price of a cheap jack cable.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. I assume that goes on the audio cable. Is that a Radio Shack item?

Switching phones does work. It was not a problem with my old phone or when I tried. My wife's today.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered one. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
The choke may work, but I think you have a ground loop. Basically your phone is grounded through both the power adapter and the audio cable, forming a loop circuit that acts as an antenna for electrical noise. If you can get an audio cable that has ground (/shield) only connected at one end (or modify one as such) it may well cure your issue.

Try the ceramic choke you ordered first. If it doesn't help, I'd try the above.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Perhaps, I did have to run a ground loop isolator on my recent stereo upgrade to keep things quiet. Never had to before on over 10+ car installs.

I was going to suggest a ground-loop isolator, but as far as I know, they are only made for RCAs and not 2.5mm aux jacks. But then again, I'm not very aware of what's available when it comes to this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, not knowing what I was doing, that is what I ordered from Amazon. All the inline noise supressors there required wiring and the description for this fit. Seems to be a real problem with iPhones and Priuses.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had not but that is not my problem. Normally, it is fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the same phone and have encountered the same issue if the phone is plugged into power and aux. It only happens for me if I play music from the phone, I usually use iPod. I simply just remove the phone from power if I wish to cancel the noise, never found it worth worrying about.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the nav on the so need the power connected. I will post the results when the piece comes in.

The Galaxy is a great phone but no one at Samsung was thinking cars. Connecting the audio to aux disables the Bluetooth on the phone. So if someone calls, I have to yank the audio cord out of the phone. PITA!!!! The forums are full of this issue.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hooked up the ground loop isolater I ordered and it helped but did not completely solve the problem. So the buzz is gone leaving a low, crackly white noise. This goes away when I unplug the power cord like before but does not vary with engine speed. It is tolerable but I'd like tks get rid of it. Ideas?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Didn't read the posts, but I believe it's a ground loop, happened to me with my iPhone...they make cables that have the ground built in, sorry on my
Phone or I would try to link it...it's the same type aux input cable, just is specifically for this purpose

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yah, sounds like you basically need to reference the ground off that cable from the power supply.

I had a very minor buzz/whine when I would occasionally plug my iPod classic into the stock aux jack, one of those worked for me.

If you can reference the ground like I mentioned, it should do the trick. But like others have said you may be able to buy a cable that would essentially do it for you, it should do the trick.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But that is what I did, which helped but did not completely solve the problem. Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Oh, is that what you did? I thought you just tried one of those "filters"? If one of those ceramic filters didn't do it, you will need to basically do what he said:

The choke may work, but I think you have a ground loop. Basically your phone is grounded through both the power adapter and the audio cable, forming a loop circuit that acts as an antenna for electrical noise. If you can get an audio cable that has ground (/shield) only connected at one end (or modify one as such) it may well cure your issue.

Try the ceramic choke you ordered first. If it doesn't help, I'd try the above.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sorry if I am being dense, but I know very little about electronics other than plugging things in and turning them on. This is what I bought, which reduced the buzz that varied with engine speed to the crackly white noise that doesn't. I think this is what you are still telling me to get - or not?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416ZLyfET8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts