Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are alot of folks who have acquired their Solstices now, I figure a few of them are in States that require the front license plate.

So, do you guys have them on, or are you going to leave them off until you are told to put it on??

Also, does anyone have a (not up close) picture of the Solstice with the front plate on??

Thanks!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
175 Posts
My ride is showing up in a week or two and I have told my dealer not to mount the front license plate bracket. I'm in CA where a front plate is required but I believe the fine is only 10 bucks. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm leaving it off. I sure see a lot of Corvettes with no front plate.

I drove a Mustang for years without a front plate. The only problem was trying to find it for the new buyer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Didn't put it on!

We haven't installed our front plate and we just did a 1000 mile trip this weekend from Iowa, to Illinois to Wisconsin and back - saw a couple out radiaring, but no one ever pulled us over for a missing front plate - figured we'd just get a fix it ticket or it's only a $10 fine in Iowa - we'll just wait and see how much we get harassed first.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Front Plate

I'm keeping my front plate tucked in the space next to the passenger seat. If I get stopped I'll put it on the dashboard and tell the Cop that I don't have the bracket for it yet. No way I'm spoiling the look of the front end. I'll take my chances. :devil:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It's funny... because living in a state with no front-plate law... we can go to ANY state, and not get in trouble for only having a rear plate.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
ParTee said:
I'm keeping my front plate tucked in the space next to the passenger seat. If I get stopped I'll put it on the dashboard and tell the Cop that I don't have the bracket for it yet. No way I'm spoiling the look of the front end. I'll take my chances. :devil:
Now thats a good plan. :agree: I will have to give this one a try, what happens in a coule of years though? Opps, the bracket broke?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I figure where you are going to get into trouble is parking downtown at a meter and let it expire. The meter maids write their tickets from the sidewalk. No plate and they have to go stand in the street! They hate that. You just got yourself TWO tickets. If you only park your car in the garage or off the street, no worries. Where you don't want a plate is when it totally destroys one of the most important design cues. It also helps if you are in a state that robtically photographs you as you are speeding toward the camera and laser.

No plate for me. I don't need one for tooling down the freeway or throwing it through the twistiy bits. I'm not taking it where it has to park anywhere except a gas station or where I'm sitting in it watching the sun go down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealer put it on, the dealership is in a different state, we don't require it. It's ugly and ruins the whole look. Took us all morning to pry it off. I also hate the way dealerships put their logo on the back. I requested that he leave that off which he did.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
JRP said:
My dealer put it on, the dealership is in a different state, we don't require it. It's ugly and ruins the whole look. Took us all morning to pry it off. I also hate the way dealerships put their logo on the back. I requested that he leave that off which he did.

I would remove the plate and logo, we told my dealer nothing on my car he was fine with it. I'll just pay a ticket for no front plate if I have to. I don't have one on my Monte Carlo(5 years) and it has never been a issue, even with a couple speeding tickets. I got.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm gonna try it without it, but keep it in the car if I ever get pulled over like ParTee suggested.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No Plate on my Red Sol. I will see what happens.

I will be storing it real soon for winter, So next May 1st will be the real test.
The Car has no stickers, and no plate. It would look stupid with a front plate. Mitch :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
MITCH said:
No Plate on my Red Sol. I will see what happens.

I will be storing it real soon for winter, So next May 1st will be the real test.
The Car has no stickers, and no plate. It would look stupid with a front plate. Mitch :)
Hey, Mitch, do you plan to drive your Solstice to work? I've got to go through a vehicle check on my way into work every morning, and I know they give tickets for things like expired registration, no front plate, etc. So I'm gonna have to mount it some way. :(

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
dengel said:
Hey, Mitch, do you plan to drive your Solstice to work? I've got to go through a vehicle check on my way into work every morning, and I know they give tickets for things like expired registration, no front plate, etc. So I'm gonna have to mount it some way. :(
No work driving for me. I work for the Government, They would never let me in without the plate. But, the real reason I will not drive my 1145 to work is because of all the Seagull crap everywhere.

It's dangerous to bring a car where I would have to park. I would go nuts if 1145 got **** on. :yesnod: Mitch

·
Registered
119 Posts
JRP said:
I understand there's an adhesive strip on the back of the bracket. How hard was it to get it to release from the body? Do you risk damaging the paint if you remove the bracket?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's really tought to remove, just keep working a little at a time, we wrapped a towel around a knife and went to work, didn't remove any paint, but quite nervous it would. Someone mentioned using a hair dryer to heat up the glue. I think that would be a better idea then what we used.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the info, JRP. I'm going to request the dealer to not put on the front plate but want to be prepared to remove it if they goof up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did it... A necessary evil

Well, here it is. A front plate. (BTW, it will be "VIN 007" but a BMV error has me with the wrong plates for the next few days). I turned the plate holder upside down and inserted the bottom "pins" in the bottom 2 holes in the grill. I thought of sawing off the protruding top pins (that are now the bottom pins) but decided to create a faux connector by putting a black foam rubber tube over the pin and having it look like it connects to the bottom of the front facia - don't want scratching with harder material. (I may still decide to remove the two unused pins). I did not adhere the rubber strip to the car! Forgive me, but in my suburb, the police will not let this violation go without a fine, and another, and another... I'm not looking for approval, this is just the best I could come up with considering what I had to work with.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618594916.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618524353.jpg&s=x1

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Sol Deep said:
Well, here it is. A front plate. (BTW, it will be "VIN 007" but a BMV error has me with the wrong plates for the next few days). I turned the plate holder upside down and inserted the bottom "pins" in the bottom 2 holes in the grill. I thought of sawing off the protruding top pins (that are now the bottom pins) but decided to create a faux connector by putting a black foam rubber tube over the pin and having it look like it connects to the bottom of the front facia - don't want scratching with harder material. (I may still decide to remove the two unused pins). I did not adhere the rubber strip to the car! Forgive me, but in my suburb, the police will not let this violation go without a fine, and another, and another... I'm not looking for approval, this is just the best I could come up with considering what I had to work with.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618594916.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618524353.jpg&s=x1
Hey SOL,
That’s exactly what I want to do when I get mine up here in New Hampshire. Thanks for the picture and the directions. Nice job.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's really not "too" bad looking. It's good to see options for what I could do if I just get nailed with too many tickets.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts