Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this month I am doing a track day with my coupe. 2.4L with DDM supercharger. The track, Nelson Ledges, is the fastest 2 mile track in the country with long sweepers, L and R. I wonder if there are oil starvation issues on stock 2.4L engines? Or are there are precautions like slightly overfilling the oil that I should take?

I guess I should ask the same about gas. Run nearly empty to save weight, or full to prevent gas starvation?

·
Registered
525 Posts
No oiling issues, but I'd probably overfill by 1/2 a quart. You can run very low on fuel in these cars. I don't see the sustained loads you will on track but I start a day of autox with the fuel light on and have never had a bobble, even driving to the gas station after the event.

Do be extremely careful there. I know multiple local racers that either refuse to race there or have been prohibited by significant others due to the absurd number of rollovers that course sees. IMHO, the track does a criminally negligent job of filling in tire ruts alongside the track and in runoff areas. You drop one and it yanks you off and onto your lid. Or you make it past those and hit the chaotic and haphazard piles of tires and those ramp you up onto your lid. Either way cars end up shiny side down way more often than they should.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Back in the day when I was into motorcycles big time my friends used to race there the track has been deteriorating over time and was shut down for awhile I was not aware that they even use it anymore I know that the campground has become a concert venue .Want some track time go to Mid Ohio a first class facility .

·
Registered
525 Posts
It was repaved and slightly revamped in 2017.

Didn't really solve any issues. All of these were from last year, one one weekend, two the next weekend, and that's only the ones that were posted.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be making parade laps compared to these guys. All Novice instruction is done with an instructor in the car, with passing only permitted when signaled by the slower car. I expect that will be me much of the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,468 Posts
I will be making parade laps compared to these guys. All Novice instruction is done with an instructor in the car, with passing only permitted when signaled by the slower car. I expect that will be me much of the time.
You shouldn't have to do any prep at all for that. You are unlikely to be doing anything that is more demanding than spirited driving on a twisty road.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
355 Posts
I ran my '06 NA on a road course in Talladega a couple years ago and had a blast! I was probably the slowest car out there and spent a lot of time doing "point to pass." It was my first experience under actual race conditions and had a pucker factor of 9 - and an excitement factor of 11. I went as fast as I felt comfortable. My concern was more for my Solstice than it was for my own safety. I can't afford to break it - or dent it up (who can?). My speed could best be described as "acceptable" as opposed to "embarrassingly slow."

Just have fun - and be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts