Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a while ago when I was looking for a new car I went to costco and took their pamplet about buying new cars. I called the number and was curious how much they can get me a 2004 Grand Prix GTP and they got me a price that was about 4300$ cheaper than the same 2004 Grand Prix across the street at the Pontiac dealer. I wonder if I buy the solstice through costco, how much would I save? Any of you guys ever used costco to buy a new car? Any one have any problems with that?

By the way I ended up buying a 98 Grand Prix GTP to save money for my Solstice :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I've never used a buying service before, but then again I consider the art of haggling the deal on a new car one of the best parts of the buying experience! :smile I know, I am probably in the minority there, but I am good at haggling the price, knowing what the car is worth and getting it for that price. I have walked out on dealers more than once if they don't meet my price too. Thats ok.

However, if your not the best at negotiating a price, or dislike the experience, I think those services can be great. From what I have read, they do get fairly good deals.

I'd also look into GMBuypower to get quotes from dealers, or maybe even another private service that can get you multiple quotes. See what dealers are willing to offer. I cannot imagine there will be a lot of movement from MSRP, and certainly not below invoice on this car right away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd like to bring up that haggling to lower the price on the Solstice BELOW msrp is not likely. As we've discussed at length before, chances are a number of dealers may hike prices, so the fine art of haggling may not get you as far with a Solstice as, say, a model-year-end Aveo. (Did ya hear, at some dealers, you can get one free if you buy a Silverado???)

So I'd say that Costco or Sams Club car buying programs may be a good way to at least get the price back to MSRP.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When the 350Z first came out, the only places discounting them were the Car Max stores that also sold new Nissans. They were selling them for $200 off MSRP. Most everyone else was at MSRP or gouging. Word of the gougers and the fair dealers spread quickly on the internet, so most people were able to get MSRP. However, before the first model year was over, many dealers were discounting them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There may be some hope for avoiding the gouging that we expect. GM paid attention to dealers who gouged for SSR's. Essentially, they noticed that those dealers did not move their inventory as quick, and have "adjusted" those dealers allocations for future vehicles (including C6's) taking away some allocation and moving it dealers who sold SSR's at a better pace.

It was GM's way of saying that they don't like dealers who gouge, and it was a good way to make them sit up and take notice. If they gouge, they are not going to get product to gouge on. If the Pontiac dealers took note, they may not be as anxious to gouge over MSRP. One can only hope anyway!

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 11 years when I bought my '94 Mazda Miata M-edition, many local dealers were charging a significant markup (2k-3k) over msrp, because the M-edition was new that year, and pretty darned hard to find. Fortunately, one local Mazda dealer had committed to 300 over invoice with my credit union, all models, and actually met that when I went down to talk to them about the car. Shook their head quite a bit, but honored their commitment, which saved me a LOT of $$. So if I do decide to go with a Solstice, I'll be looking at both Costco and credit union agreements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts