Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
ANY car I owe, I would rather have totaled then fixed- I have six convertibles, Corvettes, Solstices, Camaro, Porsche. The best body shop I know of would only give you repaired junk. That said take your money and enjoy hunting for another one, this time of the year you can get a great deal in colder states. I picked up an '06 convertible this time of the year for $1000's less than it is worth.
Good to know and very nice collection you have. I appreciate the advice and nice deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You could have kept the owners manual- and could also have bought the car back from the insurance company for whatever the salvage bid was- not much I'm sure. To bad you didn't talk to someone who knew anything about this before you surrendered it to the insurance company. I am a former insurance appraiser so know what could have been done. sorry for your loss. I have 2 Solstices- a 2006 base model, and just this hour received a 2009 GXP from Colorado.- WOW- what a difference in power. I also bid and bought a '06 Mallett, but the car is in Canada and I can't get it thru customs- fortunately the seller is going to refund my money- sure would have like to have felt 400 horsepower- another 140 horse over the GXP.- Scary!
With the owners manual, I asked my insurance as well as the receptionist at the IAA salvage yard and sadly, they both said everything that came with the car when I bought it had to stay with them. Maybe I could've not mentioned it but I wanted to be on the safe side.

As for buying the car back from my insurance company, I feared that even with repairs, it would never run the same as before and could be much more than expected to repair since the appraiser only visually inspected it without lifting it. When you appraised, did they let you see under the cars?
Also, I think if I don't try and get an SUV, I will die in the city I'm in. People are that crazy and mostly pickup trucks and SUVS driving around. Maybe I lucked out with getting hit by a sedan.

I appreciate the condolences though. Congrats on your 2009 GXP, that's awesome to hear. And that's cool you tried to get a Mallet. Yeah, the thought of being in a Solstice with a V8 is something. I've not driven a GXP before so I can't imagine another 140 on top of that, that's intense.

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Sly Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
493 Posts
I have heard the Canadians are more polite and careful drivers but that could just be rumours
Honestly, I think it depends on where you're at whether it in the US or Canada. To my experience, every city generally over 100K residents is a greater threat than cities below that population. Small town drivers seem to be more cordial and polite. Of course, this really depends on how I (each of us) is driving. Depending on what I'm driving or riding makes the call on how I drive. When I'm in my one ton Ram pulling a load, I'll drive the speed limit and let folks pass me. Yes, I'm almost always in the far right lane. Virtually every time I get into traffic in the big cities, some asswipes always want to test my driving and braking skills by cutting me off or something similar. While my truck and trailers all have working brakes, you don't stop 40K lbs of vehicle on a dime and yet, apparently people think I can do that. Yeah, it's a jungle out there, watch yer six along with both sides. There's some real idiots out there.

Rams

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Your story breaks my heart! Did you try buying it back from the insurance company? I have a thing for yellow cars and my goal is a yellow Solstice. (My '08 is silver). My first love was a yellow 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport with the laser stripe and Cragar's. Bought it used in Feb. '73 with 9080 miles on it. September '78 it is legally parked on the street in front of a friend's house. When we came in from work that evening the right two wheels were up on the sidewalk. A young girl hit it left headlight to left headlight. No frame damage, but it was totaled. I bought it from the insurance company for salvage value (deducted from my settlement). I still have it. It's still wrecked, but someday I will put it back together. It's still my first love.
At first I thought about it but I think I need to get an SUV for safety reasons for the city I'm in. I also feared the repairs would be much more than anticipated and the car never running the same as it did. As much as I wanted to buy it back because it's near and dear to me, I don't feel safe driving it where I live. Oh no, so sorry to hear about your 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport that got hit. It's one of my fears to park on the street for that reason, all it takes is one driver. It's a bittersweet story, thank you for sharing and that's awesome that you plan to put it back together. There's something so special about a bond with a car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I love mine too and I drive very carefully/ defensively for fear of getting hit. I think the best thing for you is to find another one. It is.after all just a machine, not a person or a beloved pet. It can be replaced.

Good luck
Good point. I will say that just personally, although it was a machine, it had a soul or some life in my eyes. I don't currently have a pet, but have in the past and I would equate it to being similar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have heard the Canadians are more polite and careful drivers but that could just be rumours
I wonder about that. I've heard them being more polite too and I have thought about moving there through I've heard that cost of living is significantly higher, maybe there are cheaper areas. Never been but want to visit one day.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
I wonder about that. I've heard them being more polite too and I have thought about moving there through I've heard that cost of living is significantly higher, maybe there are cheaper areas. Never been but want to visit one day.
Not sure the Canadians would even have us the way we have been behaving of late.
;)

·
Registered
2006 Red Pontiac Solstice 4200 miles original owner
307 Posts
My Solstice was t-boned by a driver who ran a red light and even though it happened about three weeks ago, it's still really difficult to come to terms with. Does anyone have advice or tips on emotionally dealing with this sort of thing?
I was really attached to my Solstice for a multitude of reasons. I spent almost a year looking for it. I got it it early 2019 and it had 39,000 miles, NA, manual, mean yellow, and was kept in pristine condition by an older gentleman. It's more common to see the GXPs in the mean yellow than the NA version so that in itself I really liked. It was my first roadster, first car I learned to drive manual on, first car I really cared about and would always park far away from people and constantly clean.

I miss driving it so much. It feels like a nightmare and I'm still partially in denial. I've been losing a lot of sleep, not being able to focus at work, feeling like a part of me died with the loss of my Solstice. It also had a lot of sentimental value because I took it on several long trips and just the 3 years of memories for it to all come to an end. I planned on keeping for the rest of life and thought I'd be driving it until nearly 200k miles and possibly more. I am slowly trying to accept this reality but it's still a tough pill to swallow. Now I'm frantically looking both ways in my rental through green lights and just any roads that intersect for drivers who run stop signs and red lights. I am thankful and grateful that the worse of the injuries I got were some really deep bruises with fluid build up but it's the emotional distress that's the toughest to get through.

I was really hoping it would be repairable but the repair quotes from my insurance estimated repairs to be nearly 10k so they deemed it a total loss. I visited it for the last time to get my belongings last week and it was really tough to say goodbye. I wanted to keep a body panel as something to remember it by but the IAA said they can't allow that so there's nothing they let me keep, not even the instruction manual. I miss it everyday and sometimes I just imagine still having it but then reality sets in. I try and cherish the great memories but just knowing it's gone, it's quite painful.
I made a longer reply and I don’t think it went through. Bottom line: your car is very repairable. Ask the insurance company where it is and buy it back. They probably sent it to an auction site like Copart. Then accumulate the parts and have a good body shop put it back together. It looks ver do-able.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ancient Greek philosopher got it right way before psychologists. "Men are not troubled by things, but the view they take of them." Easy to say and hard to deal with when such trauma happens to you. Even I am still dealing with minor anger at the "Certified" GM dealer who tells me I need a horn with a charge of $185, and should turn the gas nozzle upside down when filling the tank due to air in the system for another $185. Disputing the charges on my credit card are futile but ease the anger along with a posting of a very bad Google review. In your case, the good news is you know you are in denial which is the first stage to get through that could last a long time unless you find another car of your dreams ASAP. If you do not get a medical record of severe injury, your lawyer won't be of much help with a big payay. The five distinct, linear stages: denial, anger, bargaining, depression.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just like losing a beloved pet losing a car can be traumatic but you will grive for a while and then get another puppy or in your case another car. I recently sold my beloved VW Jetta. I had Margaret for 21 years and it's weird getting used to a new car. Margaret only broke down once in all those years and I hope my new car will be as dependable.

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Sly Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
493 Posts
Good point. I will say that just personally, although it was a machine, it had a soul or some life in my eyes. I don't currently have a pet, but have in the past and I would equate it to being similar.
Not trying to throw any darts but, if losing a car sends you into that much depression, how do you think you'll handle the loss of a family member? I'd suggest seeking counseling. I don't mean that to hurt but, it sounds to me like you could use some help.

Rams

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
I watch a lot of accident videos on YT, and my observation is that the number one reason for accidents is impatience.

My number two reason is cell phones. Now I could use the more popular term distracted driving, but that's too broad a term for me because I'd say 99% of distracted driving is due to cell phones.

Three would be driving too fast for conditions.

4th would be would be alcohol & drugs.

5th would be vehicle related, improperly secured loads, poor vehicle maintenance, etc.

6th would be medical emergencies.

7th would be a genuine accident.

I could list a few more, but impatience is what I believe is the number one cause of the majority of accidents.

Official member of the grumpy old man club.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
922 Posts
I watch a lot of accident videos on YT, and my observation is that the number one reason for accidents is impatience.

My number two reason is cell phones. Now I could use the more popular term distracted driving, but that's too broad a term for me because I'd say 99% of distracted driving is due to cell phones.

Three would be driving too fast for conditions.

4th would be would be alcohol & drugs.

5th would be vehicle related, improperly secured loads, poor vehicle maintenance, etc.

6th would be medical emergencies.

7th would be a genuine accident.

I could list a few more, but impatience is what I believe is the number one cause of the majority of accidents.

Official member of the grumpy old man club.
Disagree. I am one of those who expects everyone to take their foot off the brake and put it on the gas immediately when the light turns green, and curses and honks every time it doesn't happen that way.

I have never rear-ended anyone.

Number one is incompetent driving, like the douchebag in the FedEx truck who swerved in front of me when I tried to pass him. Yes, he was doing 10 in a 35 zone, but expecting someone to do the limit is NOT "impatience."

·
Registered
36 Posts
You could have kept the owners manual- and could also have bought the car back from the insurance company for whatever the salvage bid was- not much I'm sure. To bad you didn't talk to someone who knew anything about this before you surrendered it to the insurance company. I am a former insurance appraiser so know what could have been done. sorry for your loss. I have 2 Solstices- a 2006 base model, and just this hour received a 2009 GXP from Colorado.- WOW- what a difference in power. I also bid and bought a '06 Mallett, but the car is in Canada and I can't get it thru customs- fortunately the seller is going to refund my money- sure would have like to have felt 400 horsepower- another 140 horse over the GXP.- Scary!
Maybe you can find it at a CoPart auction. This where a lot of insurance claims are sold, and the public can bid on them. If the title gets branded TOTALED you have nothing but parts. The prices can go pretty high because bidding is world wide.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Maybe you can find it at a CoPart auction. This where a lot of insurance claims are sold, and the public can bid on them. If the title gets branded TOTALED you have nothing but parts. The prices can go pretty high because bidding is world wide.
Technically you may have nothing but parts, but those parts can be turned back into a legal vehicle. One of my Skys has a salvage title after being bought at an auction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I made a longer reply and I don’t think it went through. Bottom line: your car is very repairable. Ask the insurance company where it is and buy it back. They probably sent it to an auction site like Copart. Then accumulate the parts and have a good body shop put it back together. It looks ver do-able.
It's at an IAA Salvage lot. I appreciate the good advice but sadly I decided to get the settlement payout due to me not feeling safe driving a small car where I live. This was after I almost get hit in my rental and am constantly seeing near accidents, at that point I felt like I need an SUV to live long enough and save up enough and move to a safer city. The Solstice was my daily but if I had another daily, I'm thinking I would have tried buying it back. I'm not financially well of for the time being but I for sure plan on getting another Solstice as a second car when that time comes.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts