Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way (other then carfax) to find out the previous owner's name? I just want to be 100% on what is and isn't on my car from this point forward.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Have you tried Googling you VIN? If it's someone that was here they might have had their VIN in tir signature like I do.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep....tried that. No dice.... I just know that I'm the 3rd owner. The first purchased the car in Kalamazoo, MI.... and the second titled it in Grand Rapids, then moved to Chicago for about 8 months, then back to Battle Creek, where they got rid of it....whether it was repo'd or sold, I'm not sure because it showed up at auction where this place bought it
USAutos.net / Used 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP for sale / Suburban Toyota / Troy, MI

They had it for several months before sending it to auction where the dealer that I bought it from had bought it. It sat at my dealer about 6 months. When it was sold or repo'd it had 38976 on it, when I bought it almost a year later it had 42365 on it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If I remember right, he said he was going to put his name and address on a piece of paper between the trunk lining and the fender on the right side near the radio antenna. Oh, wait. That was me. Maybe we should all do that.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here’s my history on where my vehicle has been. My only concern in finding the previous owner would be the Jan. 25, 2012 entry. I was thinking because it wasn’t in dealer inventory that it could have been a repo. But it’s a chance I have to take to find the previous owner so I know what’s on this vehicle.
Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
Tue Mar 17 00:00:00 EDT 2009 VERNON HILLS, IL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Thu Mar 19 00:00:00 EDT 2009 VERNON HILLS, IL 625 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:X9078060050)(Lien Reported)

Mon May 03 00:00:00 EDT 2010 VERNON HILLS, IL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Thu Dec 02 00:00:00 EST 2010 MCHENRY, IL 16,150 GM Certified Data VEHICLE IN DEALER INVENTORY

Fri Dec 17 00:00:00 EST 2010 IL GM Certified Data GM APPROVED CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED VEHICLE

Wed Feb 09 00:00:00 EST 2011 BELVIDERE, IL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Tue Feb 22 00:00:00 EST 2011 BELVIDERE, IL 16,069 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:X1053689002)(Lien Reported)

Wed Jan 25 00:00:00 EST 2012 MIDWEST REGION 39,152 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

Fri Feb 10 00:00:00 EST 2012 TROY, MI 39,607 Dealer Record VEHICLE IN DEALER INVENTORY(COLOR REPORTED AS WHITE)
VEHICLE REPORTED TO BE UNDER WARRANTY

Mon Mar 26 00:00:00 EDT 2012 MI 39,680 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

Mon Mar 26 00:00:00 EDT 2012 MI 39,680 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION AS DEALER VEHICLE

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I would think it was a trade in and the dealer didn't bother to (or want to) sell it off their lot, so just sent it direct to auction. Doubt it was repo'd.

That 2011-12 owner certainly put some miles on it though. 23000 in 11 months... wow! At least they must've been highway miles.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think it was a trade in and the dealer didn't bother to (or want to) sell it off their lot, so just sent it direct to auction. Doubt it was repo'd.

That 2011-12 owner certainly put some miles on it though. 23000 in 11 months... wow! At least they must've been highway miles.
I'm guessing he worked in Chicago, but lived over by Rockford.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I wish I could find the PO of mine so I can ask him what cologne he uses so I'll know to steer clear of that crap. FYI, the zep did the trick but it took 3 weeks to go away. the main thing is that you did not see where it had been totalled and sold as salvage and then repaired so if anything, be thankful of no foul play.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny you should think that. I thought the same thing when I first saw it. Then I really looked at it and that car was licensed in Nevada, according to the autocheck, my car was never titled in Nevada. But you get an 'A' for effort!! LOL...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would be very careful trying to track down an old owner of a car.. the last thing I would want is some dxck head ...errr person looking me up and wanting to ask 50 phucking questions on that ole piece of shlt car sol/sky that I dumped a few years ago... (no offense, just be careful) it might of not been a planned parting IYW

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So if I can't find the PO, I thought maybe I could at least find out who did some other work to it.... (nothing in my signature!) I have contacted Solo, and they were so courteous and went above and beyond to answer my questions... So I contacted another vendor in Tilley Alberta, and had a HORRIBLE experience. He wanted to play 20 questions with me about where I bought it, how I got it, how I knew it had certain items, etc....and when I had enough, I politely asked him to answer the question again about whether he supplied the work....he got a little hostile and told me he didn't have time, but had time to email me 6 different times....He also stated that his items did things that are not possible in our cars.......ummmm...wrong!!! That he had stuff other vendors didn't....yeah...right.

So I'm gonna try a few others and see how their attitudes are!

Bottom line, be careful of the vendors you use....especially if it involves certain items....

·
Registered
350 Posts
So if I can't find the PO, I thought maybe I could at least find out who did some other work to it.... (nothing in my signature!) I have contacted Solo, and they were so courteous and went above and beyond to answer my questions... So I contacted another vendor in Tilley Alberta, and had a HORRIBLE experience. He wanted to play 20 questions with me about where I bought it, how I got it, how I knew it had certain items, etc....and when I had enough, I politely asked him to answer the question again about whether he supplied the work....he got a little hostile and told me he didn't have time, but had time to email me 6 different times....He also stated that his items did things that are not possible in our cars.......ummmm...wrong!!! That he had stuff other vendors didn't....yeah...right.

So I'm gonna try a few others and see how their attitudes are!

Bottom line, be careful of the vendors you use....especially if it involves certain items....
I want the Paul Harvey on this...vendor and parts. Sounds interesting. Have you had your car to 88mph? Just asking...

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I sold my super awesome 78 TA in 88 for an insanely stupid 1500. in 95 some kid contacts me wanting me to sign the title transfer paperwork and come to find out, it went thru 4 people, was stripped and the harness burned up and just in pathetic shape. Lucky for him, I was cool about it but was pissed to learn it was in my name all that time. You just never know and it's a gamble for sure contacting the PO. You ever seen Repo Games??.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The previous owner of mine left his driver's license in mine. It was hidden on the side of the seat. Obviously it fell in and I doubt he knew.

I've tried to contact him. Wasn't successful before. I should try again.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Uh, I know Lyndon personally. He tuned my car and it goes like a scalded rat (and I'm saying this AFTER even having the GMPP).

He's old school. I'm pretty certain he doesn't have searchable records like that and he'd have to go thru paper files. He's also a REALLY busy guy.

He was just trying to get basic info that would give a good indication he had done it before spending time searching records.

And yes, he is THAT good of a tuner. He has pulled out a lot of stuff that others haven't.

BTW, to me looking at pure boost PSI #s is bull****. Boost depends on a lot of factors (temperature, altitude, etc) and is NOT a key factor in the programming of the car. They boost to get a certain TQ value, and so will show different #s under different conditions. Where Lyndon is (near Calgary) he's at elevation, so he probably CAN see 26-30 PSI.

22PSI doesn't mean squat in terms of telling whether you have a tune or not without a bunch of other evidence, which is what he was trying to tease out.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Liquid....like I told someone else here a while back....I've been in the dealership world for over 15 years. I know about cars and I know my car usually inside and out. What I don't know is what I have and who did it. I want to know about my car...the history, the aftermarket items it has...things of that nature. I was merely trying to find out some history of my vehicle and a few members here said I should email him and ask him if he did it. Instead I got a runaround of questions. I was even willing to pay him to do some maintanence on my stuff.... Instead I got attitude. A pleasant, simple, "I don't have any way of finding out...." at the start would have sufficed with me. Instead I got 20 questions that wasted my time.

Here....let me quote this for you from one of my very first posts here:

I found out tonight that I do have a tune in my car. I know someone that was able to give me the "part number" or tune number for my car. In the first 2 segments I have the normal GM tune of 12612664 and 12619548. But all of the rest have the number 82537428. Does anyone know who uses that number? I know that I don't have a Trifecta as I've already contacted him trying to find out if Vince tuned it. I was told Vince didn't tune it. The guy that found this number for me told me that aftermarket guys will use the same number for every tune usually.

Also, I'm trying to figure out my exhaust. It has no name on it anywhere that I can see. I know Borla usually puts Borla on its exhaust somewhere, but we were unable to find anything when we had it on the hoist to look it over. Where should I be looking? I know usually at the tailpipe, but there's nothing there. It is aftermarket....it's too loud and throaty to be factory....

Any help on this is appreciated!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts