Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search couldn't find another post, so my GXP review mirror keeps "sagging" as I tool down the road. From a quick visual inspection it doesn't look like there is a way to tighten the mirror swivel points. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The problem is the mirror is held in position by friction in the ball joint. Over time it can wear and get loose.

If you are the only driver and you don't move the mirror then you can use superglue to hold it in place. I have done this in the past and it will lock it in position but because the surface of the ball joint is smooth, you can break it loose again by striking it sharply.

Or as others have suggested you can use other material like black sealer that will set and hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Put a dab of silicone on the lower ball. I turned mine all the way up so it would get "sucked" into the internals when I adjusted it, put on black RTV silicone and then adjusted it and left the car undriven for 48 hours to fully cure. I added a second dab of silicone afterward for good measure.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for links and tips, but strange as I searched for exactly "Tightening the rear view mirror" and it came back empty. RE: "Put a dab of silicone on the lower ball" ... can your tell me "silicone what"?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Just RTV silicone sealer goo. The stuff I used comes in a toothpaste tube you can get at the auto part store. I used that because I didn't want to snip the tip off a whole tube of silicone caulk for the tiny amount I needed.

There is a ball joint on the back of the mirror and another at the top end of the stem where it attaches to the glass. Probably the one giving you trouble is the one directly on the back of the mirror.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts