Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to search to find the correct bolt pattern for the Solstice wheels, and nobody doesn't seem to have a finite answer. Some of the post are old, just checking up on the latest news.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If I remember correctly that bit of info hasn't been released yet. It's not on GM Dealer World, pontiac.com, or the Solstice Owners Manual.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well... if some Pontiac dealers have the 'life-size' poster, couldn't you just take a ruler to it and figure it out? I'll have to try that as I'll probably go back to the dealership tomorrow. I haven't seen any figures at all, but my guess is 5x114.5.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think Brentil's right. However, IIRC, the brakes have suspiciously the same dimensions as the Cobalt SS/ION Redline/Malibu Maxx. If this is the case, then it might be a safe assumption they have a common bolt pattern.

On Tirerack.com, the Malibu Maxx and the ION Redline show as 5 X 110 mm bolt pattern. Neither Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, nor Chevy Cobalt SS were in tirerack's database yet.

Just a guess, but this is prolly a safe bet.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Be careful. The backset is very important. I could have gone with a lot of different wheels for my Miata, but I was limited by the backset. Close doesn't count on this one.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's either 5x110, like the Ion, Maxx, etc...
Or it's 5x115, like the grand prix, etc...

Or it might even be the 5x100 like the cavalier, fiero (hope not) - but I doubt it from the pics unless this car is smaller than it looks.

Hopefully, the bigger the better, and I don't recall any bigger than 5x115 on a GM car. Hubs, studs, rotors, et.al., are stronger in the bigger pattern and would support performance driving by being more durable. We talked about this before and I thought they might use a 4.5"/114.3 rear-wheel-drive pattern, but GM doesn't use that (ford does) - GM uses the bigger 5" rwd pattern or the fwd patterns, almost exclusively. Aftermarket rim choices favor the fwd pattern, so I'm hoping for a 5x115.

But since it's straight from the prototype it's probably 5x122 and nobody will make rims for it...(just kiddin' :lol: )

·
Registered
163 Posts
What about the wheel OFFSET? This is very important if you want to purchase any after market rims. Most of today’s offsets are 35 to 40 where there is a lot to choose from.

·
Registered
350 Posts
AJC said:
What about the wheel OFFSET? This is very important if you want to purchase any after market rims. Most of today’s offsets are 35 to 40 where there is a lot to choose from.
Maybe people wouldn't mind giving a little lesson on replacement wheels?

The solstice will be my only car and I will be driving it in snow, so I want to get snow tires put on it. It is a hassle to go every fall and spring to swap the tires on wheels plus there isn't too much of a selection for snow tires on 18" rims of this size. Therefore, I am probably going to get a pair of 17" rims for the snow tires. I don't know what I need to for when purchasing rims except for diameter, width, # of bolts, and bolt spacing.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
I thought the GoodYears were all seson tire, this is what comes standard with the car.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I thought the GoodYears were all seson tire, this is what comes standard with the car.
Yes, they are all seasons, but for people who live in areas that get serious snow storms or who expect to drive in decent-to-heavy snow on secondary roads, snow tires are still a desired add-on.

Some of you southerns probably just don't get the fact that there is snow and then there is SNOW :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dengel said:
Yes, they are all seasons, but for people who live in areas that get serious snow storms or who expect to drive in decent-to-heavy snow on secondary roads, snow tires are still a desired add-on.
:agree: The stock tires are all seasons, but they are certainly performance biased all seasons that are wide and low profile. It is certainly not the ideal setup for use on snow covered roads. Combine that with a relatively light car, short wheelbase, and RWD and the base tires are sure to make driving in snow "interesting" to say the least! :lol:

If anyone uses this car for a daily drive in the winter, I would imagine they will want a good set of snow tires. Maybe even studs on the rear to help push the car up slushy/snowy inclines (like going into parking lots).

·
Registered
350 Posts
LatinVenom said:

True, but snow performance with an all season tire is very different from a winter tire. The tread design on a winter tire is specifically for snow/ice traction, so an all season tire will not compare with the snow performance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm more interested in finding out just how bad in the snow it will be. My Taurus is horrible in the snow (due mostly to aftermarket parts), and I prefer to have RWD in slick conditions (or AWD, but haven't personally tried that), so I have a feeling, when it gets bad, I'll be driving the Sol (funny as it may sound).

If it is twitchy on ice, I'll most likely pick up some 17 or maybe even 16" wheels/tires with snow tires possibly studded as was already suggested. Possibly even get light weight wheels that can pull double duty during the summer for autocross/ and drag duty. We'll, see, though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I did a little work with photoshop after downloading the images for the 18" wheels on the G6 and the solstice. I wanted to see if the bolt pattern match up and they do. What I did was make it so that you can see both wheels at the same time when they are directly on top of eachother. So, now if anyone knows the bolt pattern for the G6 we could get the bolt pattern for the Solstice.

I can't post pictures so I'll give you a link.
http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/jtbaker/Solstice-G6Wheels.jpg

Does anyone know the bolt pattern for the G6 GTP?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts