Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
336 seems to run fine on 89, but its time to fill up and I may try 91. Anybody try 91 and experience more power or other differences? Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Most gas stations around here only offer 87, 91 or 93 so I'll be going middle of the road until I get a turbo.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Zol; I've only been putting in BP (Amoco) 93. Runs great.
One thing I'm noticing is 2nd gear doesn't seem to have an apogee of the power band. I brought it right up to redline without a peak, unlike 1st gear.

I guess I should try some other grade, but I'll wait till I hear feedback/problems with people using a lower grade.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
Yeah, most stations around here are 87, 89, 93... so I will be using 93.
Same around here and they call 87 regular and 89 premium so be careful when you ask the attendant to fill her up with premium as you may not get what you thought. Sunoco still has 4 grades I think. And did you realze that at the station there are only two kinds of gas? the lowest grade they sell and the highest, everything inbetween is blended at the meter. Except maybe for the brands that advertise additives in their highest grade that they don't advertise in the lower grades.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Most of ours carry 87 and 91, larger companies 87,89,and 91 and Sunoco with the additional 93, we have only put in 91 so I don't have any other reference....

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
achieftain said:
Same around here and they call 87 regular and 89 premium so be careful when you ask the attendant to fill her up with premium as you may not get what you thought. Sunoco still has 4 grades I think. And did you realze that at the station there are only two kinds of gas? the lowest grade they sell and the highest, everything inbetween is blended at the meter. Except maybe for the brands that advertise additives in their highest grade that they don't advertise in the lower grades.
We don't have gas station attendants anywhere around here. ha.

We have 87 regular, 89 plus (or mid-grade), and 93 premium, and I know BP and Shell advertise "additives" in the premium.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to try 91 and see if it makes a difference. I will report back in a day or so.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Zolsol said:
I am going to try 91 and see if it makes a difference. I will report back in a day or so.
Just an FYI, the computer can take up to a couple tank fulls to adjust itself to a different octane gas and increase/decrease the amount it retards the timing. So you may not get an instant boost in power on the first fillup.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have only used 91 (the best we can get here) and will continue to do so. The manual said that you can use lower grades, but that I might notice some knocking. Well, I don't want to ever hear detonation in my Solstice, so 91 it is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
All the stations in Iowa have 87, 89 and 91 octane fuel. I intend to try using 89 octane for the first couple of tanks and then 91 for several tanks to see if I can tell a difference. Living here in Iowa I'm a firm believer in using ethanol blended fuels. I wish I could find a 20% or 25% ethanol blend.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fformula88 said:
Just an FYI, the computer can take up to a couple tank fulls to adjust itself to a different octane gas and increase/decrease the amount it retards the timing. So you may not get an instant boost in power on the first fillup.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ojohnson said:
All the stations in Iowa have 87, 89 and 91 octane fuel. I intend to try using 89 octane for the first couple of tanks and then 91 for several tanks to see if I can tell a difference. Living here in Iowa I'm a firm believer in using ethanol blended fuels. I wish I could find a 20% or 25% ethanol blend.
better off going with the 91 1st and then trying the 89, when the tank is near empty. It will allow for the fastest change in power

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
achieftain said: "so be careful when you ask the attendant to fill her up"

What is an attendant? Oh, wait, I remember. Years ago you would pull into a service station and get service, right? Haven't seen one of those for years!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I've been running with only 93 so far. First tank was on the dealer ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

What is an attendant? Oh, wait, I remember. Years ago you would pull into a service station and get service, right? Haven't seen one of those for years!
And a set of glasses and S & H green stamps and my oil checked and my windshield washed and the tire pressure checked and a smile :) , oh yea, and 38 cents a gallon.
Damn, I'm old!

·
Registered
5 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
better off going with the 91 1st and then trying the 89, when the tank is near empty. It will allow for the fastest change in power
Filling up with higher octanes at the pump is NOT a performance upgrade.

Simply fill up with the octane reccommended in your user manuals, and stick to it.

Here is an article on Detonation written by Kevin Cameron. You Bike junkies out there may know who he is. http://www.factorypipe.com/Technical/Tech_Articles/Deto/deto.html

Go too low on octane, you get knocking, or detonation. That's seized pistons to you. (important if you plan on keeping your car till you're old and impotent)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

The way things are going very soon we won't know what it is in stores, either, because they'll all have nothing but self service checkouts. I refuse to use them until there is no choice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts