Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I love that they call the Solstice a performance vehicle in the same breath as the Hummer H3. That should put to rest worries about rollovers and lack of rollbars.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Detroit section meeting for Society of Automotive Engineers.

$42 non member - yesterday April 11.

Just wondering - heard that the Solstice, the H3, and the new C6-Z06 were presented.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Couldn't arrange schedule to travel but I knew that those vehicles were on the agenda. Don't know if for engineering excellence or design or just because they can get them to show up.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Heard some of the highlights - the Z06: 0-60 "well into the 3 seconds", 0-100 "in the 7s", 1/4 mile "in the mid 11's", "over 1 g on the skidpad, top speed "in excess of 190 MPH", all "on a closed course".

Also heard that the official Solstice timeline was a total of 27 months or something like that from "initial" to production. Compared to a typical 48-52 months for a new platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sae

A coworker went to the meeting yesturday. They would not allow anyone to sit in the vehicle(it was ropped off). They mentioned that the frame was a modified Corvette frame and that the interior components were taken from a lot of other GM products(this kept the cost down).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
tflann said:
A coworker went to the meeting yesturday. They would not allow anyone to sit in the vehicle(it was ropped off). They mentioned that the frame was a modified Corvette frame and that the interior components were taken from a lot of other GM products(this kept the cost down).
See, now I heard that it was NOT a modified Corvette frame - that the presenter, Doug Parks (Chief Engineer? Akin to Dave Hill is to the 'Vette?) stated that the "design of the structure had many similarities" to the corvette - but that it was very clear this was a brand new platform and brand new suspension.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm betting that's what it is. They took a lot of ideas from the Corvette design, but in reality it's still a new frame design. However I also bet they still refer to it being derived from the Corvette frame because when people hear that it sounds more impressive then saying, "we got some ideas from the Corvette, but they're really not related." It helps build hype because a lot of perpective Corvette owners who can't afford one can say, "the Solstice is based on the Corvette, so it's high quality too. I think I'll get one of those."

Even though it's probably not true at all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
solsticeman said:
See, now I heard that it was NOT a modified Corvette frame - that the presenter, Doug Parks (Chief Engineer? Akin to Dave Hill is to the 'Vette?) stated that the "design of the structure had many similarities" to the corvette - but that it was very clear this was a brand new platform and brand new suspension.
:devil: The Vette has an engine bay large enough for a 500HP 7L V8 but the Kappa is 170 :( HP four banger only? Or for $$you gat an extra 30HP :brentil: :devil:

:devil: The Z06 has a real gas tank were it should be but the Kappa has a tote bag style tank in the trunk? :devil:

My gues is that they (the C6 and Kappa) dont share much or GM has a REALY GREAT Kappa that they have not shown us yet.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Rick, the C6 'vette has a wheelbase that is TEN FREAKIN INCHES LONGER than the Solstice. A gas tank 10" lengthX48" wide X20" high is almost 40 gallons. You can do a buttload with ten extra inches. The Vette fits two full-sized golf bags.

But let me temper quid pro quo:

If you strip everything out of a C6 - essentially down to a Z06, and make the body structure completely out of aluminum, AND you use carbon fiber in many places (like the floorboards with balsa wood sandwiched by CF and the fenders), you still only get down to (a very impressive, I might add) 3150 curb weight. That is 300 lbs, (let me spell it out, THREE HUNDRED POUNDS) heavier than the Solstice. Thats WITH the utmost in technology and some very smart thinking by GM engineers on a platform that has been evolving for OVER 53 years.

And SIZE IS EVERYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO VEHICLE WEIGHT.

Oh, and a few more bucks when you pick your car up from the dealer.

Developing a brand new platform, in such a short time, and sacrificing essentially nothing from the concept form to the production form is no small feat. I say "BRAVO" to the GM'ers that actually pulled (or have almost pulled) this off. They've certainly done a ubermench's job here!!!

You are right on, Rick', there is essentially NOTHING except the general structural layout (called a lower-dominant structural tunnel architecture) shared between the Vette and the Kappa. Different cars - different powertrains they were designed around, different evolution and growth time.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I can't wait to see future revisions of the Kappa platform once GM gets to take some time with the platform. As we've discussed since this was such a quick project with the mindset of just do it and not overthinking everything they had to make some sacrifices. So instead of doing the entire project in 27 months, they could take another 27 months just to work on refining/perfecting the chasis. Of course that's if GM plans on continueing this car. Here's to hoping they do. :thumbs:

·
Registered
391 Posts
solsticeman said:
Rick, the C6 'vette has a wheelbase that is TEN FREAKIN INCHES LONGER than the Solstice. A gas tank 10" lengthX48" wide X20" high is almost 40 gallons. You can do a buttload with ten extra inches. The Vette fits two full-sized golf bags.
The Kappa would be cool and all with a 40gal tank but I would rather ditch the sub and cubby holes :rolleyes: for a gas tank in the rear bulkhead that would hold 12-14 gal.

As far as the ZO6 being bigger and heavier, well that goes without saying. The Vette needs to be rigid enough to handle 200MPH :eek: The Kappa is good for what 160 top's? (HIGHLY MODDED) Plus length, width and weight is an advantage for 200+ MPH cars. But to much hurts the lower speed road coars handeling. The Vette is LONG and WIDE for a reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Solstice.....

If this car drives thru curves as good as it looks...my Miata is in danger of replacement....once the price gouging goes away. DFO ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
designeraccd said:
If this car drives thru curves as good as it looks...my Miata is in danger of replacement....once the price gouging goes away. DFO ;)
Actually everyone on this forums who's getting one is getting it for MSRP. I don't think I've heard a person yet here say they've signed a contract for more then MSRP. Just go to a local dealer and sign a contract for MSRP with them, and get on their waiting list. No need to wait for price gouging to stop when you can get oen now without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fit?

Until I can drive one to see how enjoyable it is and if I fit into it ( I'm 6'3"...real snug in my Miata) I won't be commiting to anything. Several years ago my name was on the first S2000 coming into our local Honda dealer: once I sat in it the deal was off, way to cramped for a car that cost that much given the +$$$ they were tacking on. After later driving one I was even more satisfied with my Miata as she is a much better everyday car on the washboard roads around here.

So for now I'll continue with the Miata and my motorcycles (19)which are my first love anyhow, but the Solstice sure has my curiosity aroused. DFO :yesnod:

·
Registered
154 Posts
designeraccd said:
So for now I'll continue with the Miata and my motorcycles (19)which are my first love anyhow, but the Solstice sure has my curiosity aroused. DFO :yesnod:
If you have 19 bikes, how would you find time to ride them all (and spend every sunny day tanning in the solstice)? I have one bike and I never seem to find enough time to ride it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts