Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what did you get? Did it improve the sound? How difficult is the install? Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
On my 06, I replaced the 6.5 w/ Alpine.. Very nice and ran about $150. Major difference.. Installer said they were a good fit ..

·
Registered
243 Posts
I replaced the door speakers with kicker 6.5, and kicker 3.5 in the side....10 inch 3.5 deep sub...this did allot for the sound...the Kicker 3.5 side speakers work great now you can hear them with the top down......seal9

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i relaced mine with the kapa perfects 6.5 componets,its like night and day

·
Registered
306 Posts
IBDRINKEN, did you use the crossover supplied w/ the set when you installed them or is the the amp internally crossed over?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Our test car is on it's 3rd set of speakers, and so far we like the Sony Explode XS-HF167 component speakers the best. I'm sure there are components out there that are better in certain areas but we fount that the Sony’s have a perfect balance between Bass response, Tweeter brightness, and overall lack of distortion or clarity and yes we used the factory passive crossover that came with the set.

We also like the Sony XS-L82P5 8” subwoofer, It has decent response considering we mounted it in the stock Sub enclosure.

We have stuck with a pair of MB Quart 4” for the rear which are infinitely better over stock.

We run all of these speakers off of a single 5ch Eclipse XA5000 Amp. It fits neatly behind the drivers seat and seems to provide enough power to keep the speakers happy.

As for head units we have tested 4 ranging from the full 7” touch screen down to a basic single din unit. But it’s the build we are working on now that is going to have this community buzzing! Here is a link to the teaser…. Stay tuned the car is almost ready!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been curious about this as well since I don't really want to mess with taking the head unit out. I also don't have a Monsoon system so I'm curious as to what people would suggest for speakers that offer up a little more bass since I'm not that interested in putting in a sub at this point in time.

As much as I know about home audio, live audio and even audio in studios, I don't know a single thing about car audio as far as what speakers would be good for my situation and anything else I might need beyond the speakers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been curious about this as well since I don't really want to mess with taking the head unit out. I also don't have a Monsoon system so I'm curious as to what people would suggest for speakers that offer up a little more bass since I'm not that interested in putting in a sub at this point in time.

As much as I know about home audio, live audio and even audio in studios, I don't know a single thing about car audio as far as what speakers would be good for my situation and anything else I might need beyond the speakers.
If you wanted to keep the stock head unit you could easily upgrade to a nice set of 3way 6 ½ inch coaxial’s in the doors and a set of 3 ½ inch for the rear.

But in all honesty you could probably upgrade the entire audio system for around $650. That would include new speakers all the way around, a stock GM Sub Enclosure with an 8” sub all powered by a 5-channel amplifier running off your stock head unit and you’d be much happier and blow the monsoon system away….

Just a suggestion….

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you wanted to keep the stock head unit you could easily upgrade to a nice set of 3way 6 ½ inch coaxial’s in the doors and a set of 3 ½ inch for the rear.

But in all honesty you could probably upgrade the entire audio system for around $650. That would include new speakers all the way around, a stock GM Sub Enclosure with an 8” sub all powered by a 5-channel amplifier running off your stock head unit and you’d be much happier and blow the monsoon system away….

Just a suggestion….

Would you suggest an amp if I went just the speaker route? Any brand suggestions as well? I'm probably going to just start off with the speaker upgrades this year, still not sure if I want to go the sub route yet. A lot of my "fun" money this year is tied up in other things so I figure swapping the speakers will be the cheapest thing for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
391 Posts
^ I agree... I'm just interested in speakers that will sound better, without messing with an amp, or the stock stereo. (mine is the base stereo)

I fixed the bass problem by putting a low-profile JVC powered sub behind the passenger seat. That was only about $200... and sounds great. But... the stock speakers don't sound so hot.

Surely, somebody makes some inexpensive, efficient speakers that will sound good on the available power?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Dug I i used the crossovers that came with the speakers

·
Registered
512 Posts
Would you suggest an amp if I went just the speaker route? Any brand suggestions as well? I'm probably going to just start off with the speaker upgrades this year, still not sure if I want to go the sub route yet. A lot of my "fun" money this year is tied up in other things so I figure swapping the speakers will be the cheapest thing for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!
If you don’t plan on adding a sub at this point then you can do a basic speaker swap and you’ll improve your system noticeably. But remember your head unit is still pumping out the same power regardless and most aftermarket coaxial’s draw more power, so at a lower volume the system will definitely sound better but don’t expect to be able to crank it up and have it blow the doors off without adding an amp.

In regards to amplifiers the big issue in our cars is space, now there are people that have sunk there amps into the trunk but they still had to sacrifice trunk space to do it. After tearing our test car apart about 100 times we found that the Eclipse XA5000 5-channel amp works best for most people and it tucks nicely behind the drivers seat. It delivers a max of 50watt X 4 channels and a single mono channel at 150watts for the single sub. It is a class D amp so power consumption is cut down and there for so is the heat that is produced. Now some will argue that running two separate amps is better, actually I agree but the Eclipse does pack a good punch in a small form factor… In fact we had to line our Solstice with 8 cubic feet of Dynamat just to keep it from vibrating apart…LOL!

Let me know if there is anything we can do for you…

Martin-GMR

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you don’t plan on adding a sub at this point then you can do a basic speaker swap and you’ll improve your system noticeably. But remember your head unit is still pumping out the same power regardless and most aftermarket coaxial’s draw more power, so at a lower volume the system will definitely sound better but don’t expect to be able to crank it up and have it blow the doors off without adding an amp.

In regards to amplifiers the big issue in our cars is space, now there are people that have sunk there amps into the trunk but they still had to sacrifice trunk space to do it. After tearing our test car apart about 100 times we found that the Eclipse XA5000 5-channel amp works best for most people and it tucks nicely behind the drivers seat. It delivers a max of 50watt X 4 channels and a single mono channel at 150watts for the single sub. It is a class D amp so power consumption is cut down and there for so is the heat that is produced. Now some will argue that running two separate amps is better, actually I agree but the Eclipse does pack a good punch in a small form factor… In fact we had to line our Solstice with 8 cubic feet of Dynamat just to keep it from vibrating apart…LOL!

Martin-GMR
I think you about answered everything. I do realize I'm limiting my output with the stock head unit but I like the way it looks and I don't want to dig into the dash to replace it nor do I want somebody else doing it. I think the amp with the speakers will be where I start and if it's still not up to par then I'll get a sub put in there next year. So now where are you located? My next big issue is finding somebody who I trust enough to tear the car apart to put the speakers in since I don't trust myself enough :lol:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

Martin-GMR
Martin - dude, your posts rock! Love that you guys are out there tearing the car apart.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Martin - dude, your posts rock! Love that you guys are out there tearing the car apart.
Yeah I agree, I'm glad there's guys that are doing this. I just wish some of them lived closer to me, I would gladly driver several hours and pay some extra cash to have somebody install speakers for me that knows their way around the Solstice. I have huge trust issues when it comes to my cars and as mechanically inclined as I am in other areas in my life I just don't know a single thing about tearing into cars beyond doing simple stuff like an oil change. It's one of those things where I just feel better paying somebody else to do it if they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah I agree, I'm glad there's guys that are doing this. I just wish some of them lived closer to me, I would gladly driver several hours and pay some extra cash to have somebody install speakers for me that knows their way around the Solstice. I have huge trust issues when it comes to my cars and as mechanically inclined as I am in other areas in my life I just don't know a single thing about tearing into cars beyond doing simple stuff like an oil change. It's one of those things where I just feel better paying somebody else to do it if they know what they're doing.

We are based out of Scottsdale Arizona, we obviously do a lot of work with the Clubs that are close to us (Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, New Mexico, ect). When you are ready to take the plunge I’ll send you links to companies that we have referred our club members to in the past to purchase your components.

The best advice I have is go to the National GM Roadster web site and look for a chapter that is close to you. Join that chapter and then get with those club members and start looking for someone who has the experience needed to help with your project.

If all else fails, we’d love to have you visit us out here where we have year round top down weather…Sorry I couldn’t resist :)

Let me know where we can help.

Martin-GMR

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank you! As one of the founding members of the National GM Roadster Club I am really a Kappa enthusiast… The way I look at it is simply let me destroy my car and make all the mistakes so that you and our club members don’t have to….or ask me first because I’m sure I’ve made a mistake so that you don’t have to…. Plus it’s fun to rip the car apart add fun things like Nitrous systems, Building Custom Turbo kits, Tweak & Tune the car to get different results, Add audio components that most people wouldn’t event think of doing…. Then go tell people how to do all this!

It’s all part of being in a club!

Martin-GMR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Late to the party !

I have the "Monsoon System" and frankly the sound is poor.
I also have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came stock with a Infinti Gold system and it is far superior to the Monsoon.

Can this be rectafied with just a speaker (ALL) upgrade ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
bringing this one back from the dead. anyone get the gm-roadster monsoon upgrade and if so how is it compared to stock??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts