Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm growing impatient...and test driving a Boxster S tomorrow.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the luxury of driving both cars and what they think. I would be buying a used Boxster at about the same price (actually a bit cheaper) than what my ordered Solstice is priced out at.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have. The boxster is faster, handles great, growls a bit better. The only concern I would have and it's funny you mentioned this. I was talking with someone else today about Porsche owners. I don't want to stereotype them, but the one's I've run across beat the snot out of their cars. My friend mentioned the same thing. Be aware. Make sure you get it checked out my a certified mechanic. One thing to keep in mind on those cars - maintenance and repair costs...initial cost may be less expensive, but you are buying a used (oops...pre-owned) car and that means more m&r dollars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It's not a completely fair comparison. The Boxster S is going to beat the Solstice easily in performance categories. It is a car that costs twice of what the Sol does.

The Sol's advantage in this comparo is price... purchase price, repair costs, maintenance costs, insurance costs, etc. With the Sol, you get a very fun and entertaining car to drive with plenty of cash left over for later. But it would come down to how much power you want to live with, and how easy of a car you want if you work on it youself (Boxster engine access is from the underside, no access other than fluids up top).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If it makes you feel better, your getting alot more storage space.

Handling is comparitable, maybe a hair better on the Porsche.

Fit and finish will be superior.

Acceleration will be better.

I do agree with previous post about costs, and as far as being abused, the only type of car that I would be more concerned about would be a rental.

Check what the labor rates are at the dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You dont wanna go there! I sold my Boxter to buy my S2000. Maintenance
will eat you alive. Hows this $150.00 for a oil change, fuel injectors 150 a piece. The dealership where i had mine serviced charged 95.00 hr. Hey if you got the bucks go for it. Just remember this buying a used sports car is like dating a whore. you dont where she's been or how she's been treated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
S2KAP2 said:
will eat you alive. Hows this $150.00 for a oil change, fuel injectors 150 a piece. The dealership where i had mine serviced charged 95.00 hr. Hey if you got the bucks go for it. Just remember this buying a used sports car is like dating a whore. you dont where she's been or how she's been treated.
I'll agree with what you said about the Boxster,,,all good points. What opinions do you have of the S2000? I might buy one of those from a friend?
Thanks for a reply

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S2KAP2 said:

Nice...

Those are some good points...especially about the whore. kept me from going out on a date tonight!!!

I wonder about this though, if I pay $25k for either car....what will each be worth in 5 years???

Which will actually be a better car for those five years.

Thanks for the comment thus far.

Steve

·
Registered
542 Posts
Check the miles...I hear that the 60K service is unbelievably expensive due to the engine placement.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Solstice or Porsche......

photog321 said:

I'm wondering if anyone has had the luxury of driving both cars and what they think. I would be buying a used Boxster at about the same price (actually a bit cheaper) than what my ordered Solstice is priced out at.

Thoughts?
I just sold my Boxster a few months. I've driven both cars. No way does the Solstice compare to a Boxster S. But the Solstice is a great value for the price. Both cars handle well. However, I only drove the Solstice on a closed (cone) course. I was very impressed with the overall performance. If you have a Solstice already in production, it is definitely worth the wait. If you are waiting until the hype wears down, you may as well buy the Porsche. That Solstice list is getting longer and longer..... :yesnod:

·
Registered
46 Posts
PhxSunCat said:
I'll agree with what you said about the Boxster,,,all good points. What opinions do you have of the S2000? I might buy one of those from a friend?
Thanks for a reply
For the money you cant buy a better sports car imho. I cant comment on the Solstice cause i havent even seen one yet, wife is wanting one. The S2000 is gonna be the same way as far as making sure that its what the seller is telling you. I dont care if you know the dude..run a car fax... have a honda dealer look at first and see if they find anything, especially with compression. S2000 are high reving engines and alot of people over rev these cars resulting in valve problems. Parts are steep too, but nothing like a Porsche.Tires are expencive depending on what year you get. Overall the S2000 is alot of bag for the buck, well built and will last if taken care of. Im certainly not trying to dis the Solstice here....they are 2 entirely different cars.

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
photog321 said:
Nice...

Those are some good points...especially about the whore. kept me from going out on a date tonight!!!

I wonder about this though, if I pay $25k for either car....what will each be worth in 5 years???

Steve

Think about this, how much are you gonna spend on the Porsche in 5 yrs and how much you gonna spend on the Solstice in 5 yrs. Like i said its all about maintenance, and how much your willing to spend to keep the car running.
There's not much Doubt the Porsche will probably be worth alot more. But at what price to keep that way.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
photog321 said:
Nice...

Steve
What year is the Boxster?

Remember, even in 5 years, if a used Boxster is still worth more, you may have spent that savings and more in maintenance and repair.

In 5 years, the Sol will have a full warranty for 3. The Boxster?

·
Registered
528 Posts
photog321 said:

Thoughts?
Try the new Cayman instead.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm wanting USA Millionaire to chime in on this thread...

He used to race Porsches (not anymore) and he says he loves the Solstice more. He even let a friend of his drive it who currently owns a Porsche and his friend had nothing but good things to say about the Sol. I think I remember reading somewhere that his friend commented that the Sol might even have a slightly better handling feel.

·
5,600 Posts
If I could painlessly afford a Boxster S, I would not even think of considering the Sosltice. The difference in refinement will be night and day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up #116 today, They have a great ride to them!! I have a 415 h.p. '72" vette, so I really don't notice the power of these cars. Boxters are alot quicker!

Y.T.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Battle in my mind

jimbo said:
If I could painlessly afford a Boxster S, I would not even think of considering the Sosltice. The difference in refinement will be night and day.

2001's are hitting the market this fall between $25k and $30k with 20k to 60k miles.

It is a tough call in my humble opinion. That's why I'm asking... I can see potential downsides and upsides to both cars in this situation.

Not to mentional picking up a Boxster at $25k is about $3000+ below book.

Its has just got me thinking.

Steve

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
jimbo said:
:agree:
I concur. I drove a Boxster three years ago. It was that experience that started me looking for a roadster. That having been said, I wait "patiently" for my Solstice to arrive (projected date = next May :( )

--Chemist (my bicycle still gets me back and forth to campus)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts