Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler will begin it’s own “employee discount sale “ starting July 6th. I’ve not paid too much attention to this car before, but it just might begin to look good if the price is right. Have any of you driven it? If so what were your impressions? Any comments? Any shortcomings or “issues” show up yet?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What little I had read and heard about the car seems to be confirmed by several road tests I've read this morning. The bottom line seems to be that the base car is underpowered and the SRT-6 package deals well with the power issue, but up's the price 11K. This makes the SRT-6 a 50K+ automobile. Even with a discount that's going to be way more than I want to spend.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Srt-6 Roadster

Type: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-passenger convertible

Price: Base, $49,995 (inc. $875 destination charge); as tested, $51,195

Engine: 3.2-liter V-6; 330-hp; 310 lb-ft torque

EPA fuel economy: 17 mpg city/24 mpg highway

Where built: Germany

Key competitors: Audi S4 Cabriolet, Audi TT, BMW M3 Convertible, Chevrolet Corvette, Lotus Elise, Mercedes-Benz SLK, Nissan 350Z, Porsche Boxster

·
Registered
263 Posts
Driven the SRT-6 earlier in the year. Fun car but not a true sports car though. Steering is too vague and automatic is horrible for sport driving. The power to weight was good with the back tires able to break tractions when accelerated hard. The looks are bold and different which makes a statement. I was not impressed with it, but it you could buy it for less than $30k it maybe a good enough deal on it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Chrysler Crossfire

I test drove one on some nice open roads...two things stood out...once I approached 60 MPH the car felt like I was going to lose the back-end. I didn't even try going faster based on how it felt.

Second, there are no back speakers in the car which made the radio hard to hear with the top down. The dealer indicated that there were no upgrade options to add addtional speakers in the back.

FYI...

·
Registered
352 Posts
The crossfire is an awesome sports coupe. The 2004 are out there in autoweek brand new starting at 24,600 new..

I really dig that car although at about the same price as a solstice...it would be hard not to get the pontiac...

Crossfire is a fun car though.

Friend has one and he's a celebrity wherever he goes...

People in 100k MB sedans get out of their car in NYC just to ask him about his car. Its really quite striking.

All that said. Get the solstice if you can wait for allocation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2005 Crossfire, Limited, Roadster. It was used 2,952 miles. It had all the options including the NAV system, dealer still looking for the CD for that. Picked it up last Saturday. Drove it back from Michigan to Chicagoland.

I love the car. Power is adequate at 215 HP and 230 ft/lbs. It handles great.

My comparison has to be against my buddies 98 Boxster. Compared to the Boxster the brakes do not feel as confidence inspiring. I'm sure they are as adequate but the feel is not there. Handling would be the same, steering is not as crisp but it takes corners great. Ride comfort is the Crossfire advantage. Interior room is Crossfire advantage.

They are dealin' on the Crossfire. It was a hard decision to not wait for the Saturn Sky, need an automatic for the wife. But I picked up a used Crossfire for $29.5K it was too good of a deal to pass up. Best price brand new is around $33K.

Go to Crossfireforum.org for more perspective. They are bias and objective points of view to be found.

·
Registered
178 Posts
2004 Crossfire

I test drove the 2004 Crossfire Limited prior to placing my order for the Solstice. Here is why I did not get it.

1. Driving it did not impress me with the handling.
2. Noise level in hearing the radio.
3. Too many new 2004's on the lot which means depreciation is going to be considerable for this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Solcticewannabe said:
I bought a 2005 Crossfire, Limited, Roadster. But I picked up a used Crossfire for $29.5K it was too good of a deal to pass up. Best price brand new is around $33K.
I thought the Limited Roadsters were much more than $33K. With the $1000 cash allowance and the employee pricing program, I would have thought you could have done better with a new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
mceb said:
They have 3 roadsters.
http://www-5.chrysler.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

Looks like the limited can be had for 34k with employee discount + $1000 cash back.
http://www-5.chrysler.com/incentive...esMarket=U&language=en&ModelYear=&Model=brand
(looks like ony the limited roadster and coupe are in the discount...probably have too many of those)
What I find interesting about this is the base price between the chart
with the employee discount and the web site seem to differ by exactly
what the discount amounts to.

The crossfire home page says base price is ~$34K (roadster limited), the employee discount sheet shows $39K with a discount down to $34K.

Just and observation. I suspect the web site is wrong, since the coupe and roadster have the same price listed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a brand new 2004 Crossfire, 6spd, Coupe last month

and love it. I was able to get it for less than $25k, which fit my budget perfectly. In comparison to Solstice, I believe the Crossfire is much more automobile for the money. If considering the Crossfire, I would strongly recommend locating a 2004 model or waiting til end of the year for a 2005 model. It's really a steal for $25k and its essentially a previous generation Mercedes SLK with a Chyrsler designed body.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Crusher said:
In comparison to Solstice, I believe the Crossfire is much more automobile for the money.
I think it's a little unfair to make this kind of comparison, a 2004 left-over to a newly released 2006 model. And that's a coupe vs. a roadster, right? If you need to compare the Crossfire to the Solstice, try comparing the price of a 2006 Crossfire convertible to a 2006 Solstice. You would need to come up with a bit more cash to pay for the 2006 Crossfire convertible!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
dengel said:
I think it's a little unfair to make this kind of comparison, a 2004 left-over to a newly released 2006 model. And that's a coupe vs. a roadster, right? If you need to compare the Crossfire to the Solstice, try comparing the price of a 2006 Crossfire convertible to a 2006 Solstice. You would need to come up with a bit more cash to pay for the 2006 Crossfire convertible!
Yes, a 2004 Crossfire with 0 miles, excellent condition books at retail for $24,300.00

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
PubliusE said:
Yes, a 2004 Crossfire with 0 miles, excellent condition books at retail for $24,300.00
I agree this is a great buy if your only requirement is a sportscar, but if you want a convertible, try comparing the Solstice to a 2005 Crossfire Convertible, MSRP: $34,185 - $39,370, instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts