Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Anyone else get a wet left foot?

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Gwuckie Duck 
#1 ·
When I have the top down and the AC on I get water dripping on my left foot. QWhen I took it in they told me that there were no clogged pipes and this was a natural occurance that could not be fixed. Guess I have to learn to live with a wet foot---

#2 ·
LUVnSOL said:
When I have the top down and the AC on I get water dripping on my left foot. QWhen I took it in they told me that there were no clogged pipes and this was a natural occurance that could not be fixed. Guess I have to learn to live with a wet foot---
havent looked....sounds like condensation forming off the piping....but hey..I never drive with the top down and the A/C on either........

#3 · (Edited)
LUVnSOL said:
Since when is A/C condensation a *natural occurance* in ANY car?? :willy:

Where is the *drip* coming from - can YOU see it or locate it? Does the same thing happen with the top UP and the A/C on?

I would NOT *learn to live with it* - something is not right IMHO.

Hope you are able to get this resolved soon - having a wet left foot all summer may cause it to *web* over. :lol:

#4 ·
Speaking of wet feet.
Someone else go out and pull up the carpet on the passenger side.
Pull the cover off the fuse box (made of cardboard or something), and pull the carpet up.
Feel the white foam pad and the floor. Is it wet on your floor as well?

Short of a car washing in the driveway, the car hasn't been in the rain in well over a month yet the floor is wet. Let me clarify that. It is damp enough to see moisture on your fingers but isn't wet in the sense that it is dripping off my fingers.
What gives?
There are no drain holes in the floor around there and I haven't run the AC in more than a month.

#6 ·
LUVnSOL said:
That is totally ridiculous. I have the top down in my car and the air conditioner on constantly and I have never experienced a "wet foot". Tell Pontiac they have the problem... not you! ~~ Trent :cool:

#7 ·
Thanks--it is not a big drip or constant but overy so often a drip will come from under the dash and drip on the top of my left foot-the AC is only at number 1 it does it. It does not do it when the top is up When I took in yesterday to rotate the tires and get a oil change they cked it at that time and told me it was OK but I do not like it dripping on my foot--I agree there has to be a solution--- just wanted to go back and say why mine and no one else???

#8 ·
Thanks for posting this. I just recently started using the AC w/topdown so I'll make sure I pay attention. I know I had a lot of water in the small cubby at the base of the driver side door but that was because I washed the car with the top down the other day. (not recommended) :lol:

#9 ·
solli4me said:
Thanks for posting this. I just recently started using the AC w/topdown so I'll make sure I pay attention. I know I had a lot of water in the small cubby at the base of the driver side door but that was because I washed the car with the top down the other day. (not recommended) :lol:
Wash car - top down You really have to be carefull :willy:

#11 ·
Dsrtrmance said:
That is totally ridiculous. I have the top down in my car and the air conditioner on constantly and I have never experienced a "wet foot". Tell Pontiac they have the problem... not you! ~~ Trent :cool:

What i would do is try another dealer and see what they say, or even try a Saturn dealer. If they give you a better answer than "natural occurance" you just found your new service rep.

Jim

#12 ·
I have never had this problem either. Let the dealer know that you have asked many other owners and noone is having this problem. Good luck. :)

#13 ·
It sounds like you are overworking your AC . Having your air on while the top is down is like shoveling snow in a blizzard. The cockpit in the car never reaches a stable cool temp so the system works harder to reach one causing your problem.Dropping my top when its hot and sunny depends on traffic flow, when its really hot and slow traffic my top is up and the air is on,smooth flowing traffic top down vents open without air, just the breeze of my SLY SOL cruising thru the city. C :cool: :cool: L

#16 ·
More A/C Problems

No wet foot, but two other problems. First, when I turn the A/C on high (as in a quick cool when getting into a hot cockpit), it spits water out the left center vent. Thankfully I can aim the vent flaps to shower either myself or my unsuspecting passenger.

Second, very loud squeal from under the hood (as in belt noise) when turning left with A/C on. When this happens, the A/C output diminishes to near zero. I'm thinking that the right side suspension or steering linkages are engaging the belts?

#17 ·
Where do you live? Down here in the swamp called Houston, condensation from the A/C is a normal occurence even on closed vehicles when the humidity is very high. I've looked at this drip on my car to make sure it isn't a real problem and it's not. It happens whenever it extra super humid (like after a thunderstorm) when the temperature is in the 90s :)

Don't SWEAT it ;)

#19 ·
Ok I have this problem too!
Also I have the top up, not down.
It was a long trip and I had the A/C on for at least 6 hours, and it started dripping after two hours or so.
I should also note that the cover under the steering wheel is missing for my car. I'll ask for the part next week.
However here is my conspiracy theory: Maybe, there is always some water dripping under the steering wheel, but the cover holds it. If you don't run the A/C for hours, then you might not get water on your foot. I hope this won't cause any problems. Just wanted to let you know.
This happened only twice, because I am not using the A/C anymore.

#20 ·
I've only experienced this once...when I drove from Mi to Tenn on a hot, humid day, top down with the A/C cranking the whole way....just because I could! I think archer has hit the nail on the head. The A/C cycle produces condensation as it cools the air. This is normal. However, it is the goal of the A/C system designer/engineer to control this condensation and keep it out of the passenger compartment. If you think about it, all cars leave a puddle of water on the ground in the summer after running the A/C. The Solstice/Sky apparently don't do the best job of routing the created condensation out the vent line and onto the ground when the A/C is pushed hard for long periods of time. Instead some of it collects in the vent lines and drips on our feet...or in the case of transportguru...a little in the face too! (Haven't personally had that problem!!) Overall, I don't think it is something a dealer can really "fix". It is probably designed in and just a limitation of the system. I don't know enough about the design of the vents to suggest what could be done to change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.