Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I did, I'm was like "thats an awsome z4!" Granted this car looks much nicer then a z4 it does resemble it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Great looks, and no soap!

madmac9 said:
I know I did, I'm was like "that's an awesome z4!" Granted this car looks much nicer then a z4 it does resemble it quite a bit.
The basic profile of roadsters is a long hood or bonnet and a short deck or boot. So, the resemblance is understandable. However, as you noted, upon closer inspection of the Solstice, there are many including myself who would simply say, WOW! That looks great!

Truth be told, I never much liked the bulky look of the Z4. It always looks like it's holding its breath with its cheeks puffed out like it's about to pop. The Z4 lacks the slender appearance of the Z3, and is way to boxy and squared off, not unlike the S2000. Then there's that extremely apt observation by mceb of of the older Miata as being styled like a bar of soap [from the thread: Why a roadster? post by mceb] :leaving:

The head farings are reminiscent of a bygone era of Le Mans racing in the 50's and 60's.

The Solstice is a sign that design is alive and well--even thriving! :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Actually my first impression, which was a front view picture, was Ford Cobra, vaguely.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Considering a "z"

My wife wanted to buy a Z until she saw this. We didn't even know what the price was going to be on the Sol so we waited and were happily surprised. :yesnod: :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well it doesn't really remind me of those cars looks wise but I would say bmw wished they could design a car that looked this good. That Z4 is a complete disaster IMO. The one good thing about the solstice is it looks more high end then it is. You would expect to see such a car on a bmw lot or whatever.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i own a bmw (3 series) . i love my bimmer, but truly believe that the bmw design team have lost their way with the latest design. the Z4 IMHO is the ugliest BMW in at least 30 years. it may be a nice car to drive, but jeez... you have to look at it in the driveway too.
the solstice is way better looking than the Z4.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
To me it does look a lot like a BMW, or rather what a BMW ought to look like. When comparing the Solstice to a Z4, all the numbers and proportions are very close. It's just that BMW, uncharacteristically, tacked on too many extra "style elements".

I'm reminded of a Saab sports car of the early seventies. When first introduced, IMHO it was and is the all time ugliest two seater. Then, after a year or two, Bertone cleaned it up by removing all the extra vents, gills, scoops and spoilers. Turned it into a surprisingly good looking car. To me the Z4 is the before and the Solstice, the after.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
More curves, half the price :cool:
Unless you buy a 1997 Z3 1.9L that is, then it's half the price of the Solstice. However it's also got 2/3 of the power, and 2/3 of the looks. :D

My friend recently bought the car I listed above. I'll get pics of them next to each other when I finally get my car. I might like the Solstice far better then his Z3, but at least he has his Z3 now. :(

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
The basic profile of roadsters is a long hood or bonnet ...
Franz (VonHolzhausen) and Vicki (Vlachakis?) call that "dash-to-axle ratio" :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I can see where the basic front end shape may remind someone of a Z3 or especially a Z4, since it is so rounded. Maybe the brain also associates the Bimmer kidney grilles with the twin Pontiac grilles.

I also have heard people say they see Shelby Cobra in the front end. Not sure if I would make that stretch, but again, it is rounded down in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
PAS22 said:
Actually my first impression, which was a front view picture, was Ford Cobra, vaguely.
The coupe mockup sure does look like the Cobra Daytona fast back, but then the revamped version produced by Ford looks almost exactly like it... Cool shapes, no mater who makes them!! :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
I remember seeing the Fiero and thinking "that looks like an Italian design." But the Solstice is unique. It is curvy and elegant like past sports cars but I can't find another car like it that I have seen. The front is very rounded especially longitudinally. The rear is very high and so is the belt-line. I can see little bits and pieces of old Jaguars or Astons in it. But the piece as a whole is unique. It does not look like any other car to me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Zolsol said:
It reminds me of the 50's vette, especially the flarred fenders and overall size. Not that I was actually around back then! :)

Or a late 50's Porsche in frontal view.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts