Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever changed the camshaft exhaust solenoid. Now mind you, I change my oil every 4k. I changed my oil before my car went away for the winter in October. I put about 500 miles on it. I started it every week and let it idle for 1/2 hour to keep the battery charged all winter. I have driven it about 500 miles since I brought it out of the garage.

Now, look at the pic below of my camshaft solenoid..... Does this look normal or should I start looking for what those "chunks" are from? Like I said, I'm anal about the maintenance on my car, but bought it with 38k on it 4 years ago.....

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My first question is are they metal or some other material? Never good to find metal parts floating around but form the images it appears to be some kind of foreign material. I have change those solenoids before and don't recall seeing anything like that on them.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
They look like carbon deposits of some kind, probably because of the excessive idling mentioned on his post.
Either drive it or let it sit undisturbed.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
I agree with the no-idling comment. I have never thought that to be good for an engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts